What's new

All Things Godzilla (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps it's just my mind playing tricks on me - but I could have sworn that the ones that I got direct from Godzilla on DVD.com had two movies on two discs. If that's the case (I'll check when I get home), daaaamn! Sucks to buy it retail then.

I know there were some issues with the Japanese version of G Raids Again, but they offered an error free replacement pretty darn quick. My new version looks really sweet.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ok, pay me no mind - I'm smoking crack. G Raids Again and G vs Mothra are both one disc DVD's. Man, I could have sworn that they were 2 discers.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Hoo, apparently, the original MOTHRA is one of the Sony titles that DD Video have areached agreement to release here in the UK along with a bunch of Hammer films never released anywhere.

- begin usual boring stuff about how everyone really should own a multi-region player blah blah blah blah.....-

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Like there was any doubt that I'd pick these up in a hot second, but it's good to know that theyre nice sets.

So what else does Classic Media have in the wings? Isnt the upcoming Frankenstein Conquers the World theirs too?

(Actually, I'd do The Happy Dance if Classic Media announced that they were releaseing ALL the Godzilla films with this loving care treatment. I'd double dip on that *SO* fast, it wouldnt be funny. And I'd do it while a big cheesy grin on my face the whole time)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Those reviews have me hyped. :emoji_thumbsup:

Godzilla's Revenge and Terror of Mechagodzilla. Which unfortunately for me, I'm not really fond of (blasphemous I know). After that I hope they continue on with more kaiju films (Rodan, Mothra, Destroy All Monsters).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
*prays for a new copy of Destroy All Monsters*

Meanwhile, DVDDrive-in has the review for Frankenstein Conquers the World up: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e...qrsworld65.htm

That's why I got confused with Classic Media - both movies have similar presentations (both the American and Japanese cuts) and are coming out about the same time. Damn, but it's a good time to be a monster movie fan.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Sadly the rights to the Godzilla movies are all over the place. So I guess that Classic Media are releasing all the ones they could get hold of.

It's very difficult to get a complete set of the Big G movies, let alone a complete set of good copies! It is not possible to do it at all without looking outside of the r1 fence. For example, you must look to r4 to get good copies of Megalon, Destroy All Monsters, vs. King Ghidorah and vs. Mothra since the r1 editions of those are inferior in a number of respects. Godzilla '85 and Biollante are the most difficult.

I think that only the Japanese Toho releases ever represented a complete set of high-quality releases. Of course the special edition in the Godzilla head is out of print anyway, and being Japanese they are all wildly expensive!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Sorry if this has been addressed already...

Why, on Godzilla vs. Mothra, is the English language version presented in cropped 1.78:1? The version released by simitar contained the english version in 2.35:1. The simitar version was non anamorphic.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Short answer: the cropped transfer (acquired from the Monsters HD cable channel) was more complete and had better colors than the alternative, 2.35:1 transfer available to them. So they went with the former.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Woo hoo! DDD just sent my copys of Ghidorah and Monster Zero yesterday. So just a week of slow ass shipping (why is it that a DVD I order from the UK gets across the Atlantic faster than a DVD from these guys?) and I'll have my Toho fix!

I'll report back on the discs once I get done with the Monster Mash.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Hold on there! They are due out Tuesday. Wait a few days and get them during the 20% sale, which is going on NOW (expect for preorders).

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
If you have a DVD burner in your computer (and if you don't, they're pretty inexpensive), you can go to this website (defunct now, but still archived) and download burnable subs for the Japanese R2 Toho discs and make English subtitled copies. I've done it for quite a few R2s (including Biollante and Godzilla '84) and it works terrific.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Yeah - except the preorder shipped the day before the sale started. Poor timing on my part, I know. Looks like I get to refuse delivery and order them on the 5th!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks