What's new

All Things Godzilla (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
My Gojira/Godzilla disc looked fine to me, but I think I'll go back and check it again (!).

I watched it on my HD Sony KV-36HS420 in an Oppo machine via the HDMI connection. My Oppo upconverts to 1080i, though, so I wasn't even watching it in progressive.

It looked great until it got to the point I mention. This is clearly a defect - I've never had another disc do this on me! I'll be interested in hearing if anybody else has this problem. I can't imagine it's not on all of them. It's gotta' be an authoring issue and not a flaw on my particular disc - right?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
1:04:28, on the Japanese version (have not watched the American dub/cut yet). Very noticeable!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I'll check mine out when it shows up - should be tonight or tommrow when it gets here - and let you know.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just an FYI -- the U.S. version of GODZILLA VS MOTHRA is indeed 16:9 enhanced and is framed (for whatever reason) at about 1.85 or so. It's not completely full-screen.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Actually, I've heard 1.77:1. It's 'cause CM used the transfer made for the "Monsters!" HD channel.

2.35:1 down to 1.77:1? Ouch. 2:1 might have been a little more tolerable. But to have 25% of the picture hacked off is kinda' severe.

I've also since heard that the combing/interlacing problem lasts for a little under 3 minutes before clearing up (I didn't even watch long enough to know!). Transfer looked good otherwise. Sloppy, sloppy...

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yeah, I just checked it on my copy and that's exactly what happens. The corresponding part in the English version is OK though.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, mine goes off the rails at that point too. Annoying? Yeah - but really, it's only for a few moments, so I'm not going to wig out too much.

Love the commentary track, tho. Great stuff.

Hey - question for you guys. Why did King Kong v G not get the special treatment? Fortunatly I've got my goodtimes version of the movie, but I'd love to have get a special edition too.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
King Kong v G came out in R1 last year when the Jackson Kong was released. It's the American cut/dub only, of course; but it does look terrific. Dump your Bad Times pan and scan disc forthwith and pick up a copy!

Universal owns the rights to the film in at least N. America and, evidently, have no interest in releasing the orig. Japanese film (which is drastically different than the American edit). It is out in R2, though; sans Engrish subs, alas.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
what i hated about the commentarys is that they wasted it on the us versions. i dont wanna look at no us version when theres a perfectly uncut jp version. why couldnt they comment on that

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Because they often commentate on changes to the american version and the cutural context of movie. The track wouldnt work on the Japanese version as well.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I saw the defect on Raids Again - happens at the 65 minute mark and lasts for about 60-90 seconds or so. I agree with a previous poster that the flaw is a minor distraction & nothing to get myself worked up over.

Now on the other hand the Subbed version of G vs. Mothra had no defects & looked great. :emoji_thumbsup: If the subbed transfers of their future Ghidrah and Monster Zero releases turn out as good, I'll be a happy camper.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Is there any timeline for releases?

I was waiting to go in order, but don't know if I can hold off...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Release dates for the remaining films haven't been announced as far as I know. When the boxed set was cancelled the rumor was that they were going to stagger the releases over the next year.

I'm hoping Ghidrah and Monster Zero are in the next batch and it happens early next year.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The commentary on Raids Again is actually more on the original, Japanese version than the American dub/cut. I got about 2/3rds the way through it last night, and it's quite good. In addition to Steve Ryfle, who's humorous and informative, there's Ed Godziszewski, Suart Galbraith (who talks about the director and music composer) and Bob Burns. Great stuff! The Ed Godziszewski-produced "Art of Suit Acting" feature is terrific as well.

For me, the disc is so good that it kinda' makes the video flaw all the more annoying - the "fly in the ointment", as it were. Still, really happy to have this disc.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I thought Steve Ryfle's commentary on GRA was condesending and he really came off like an arrogant ass (IMO). Alright Steve, you don't like the liberties that were taken with the American release of the film....could you please quit harping on it and get back to talking about the movie itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks