What's new

All Things Godzilla (1 Viewer)

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Classic Media is selling both titles exclusively via their web site until a wider release early next year. Maybe pre-orders weren't high enough?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh well - pity that. I'd might have picked them up if I saw them at the store, but now . . . well, I have a trip to England next month to pay for. These can wait.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Classic Media online exclusives. I ordered only Godzilla Raids Again from the website. I've already got the R2 vs. Mothra, as well as the old Simitar disc (plus I'm still miffed they're using a cropped transfer of the English-dubbed version).

If you do order both (before Oct. 27), though, you can get free shipping. Enter the code GRAMOTH1. That'd be both for under 30 bucks; not too bad, actually.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thanks Jim,
Just ordered mine. They said the reason they're using a cropped GvsM was because the cropped was in better condition. I'm glad I got the Simitar version too.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Well, not QUITE free. With that code, shipping costs a touch under 50 cents. Still, it was cheap enough that I went and pulled the trigger on both.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
How very odd - I got an email from these guys today assinging my shipment a USPS tracking number. There's nothing at the end of the link, so I can only assume it hasnt gone out yet - but it's a good sign that theyre shipping early.

Woo hoo

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

I got one too and thought the same thing, then remembered one can print postage (and confirm numbers) in advance.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
i ordered all 3 dvds and used the $6 code. which ended up giving me alil more than the free shipping code. ia lso got the email that my order had a label. but with how the usps is. that order can ship and getto ur house and that same page about it just getting a label will still be there

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit apprehensive based on my disappointment over the Gojira set, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered 'em anyway. It's also a bit more than I was going to spend on my cancelled order at DVDPlanet which was about $11 each.

I'm a bit put off by the flubbed OAR of the dubbed G vs. Mothra disc, but the selling point for me is the original OSL Japanese version. It's too bad that Media Blasters doesn't control the DVD rights as they've done a good job with their Toho releases so far.

If the reason behind this is low pre-orders then I wonder how this bodes for future Toho releases (namely the two I want the most - Ghidrah & G vs. Monster Zero) ?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've got the Simitar release, also. Supposedly the vs. Mothra disc is the only one that's gonna' have a cropping issue. Let's hope so...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So what was the problem with the Godzilla print anyway? The movie looked a little bit old, but otherwise was fine for me.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

There was some framing issue.

Both my discs showed up today. The "Raids Again" print is okay, but skinny yellow subs. Haven't seen much of "Mothra," might watch it tonight though--white skinny subs on it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Couldnt have been too horrific - I didnt notice any problems. But then really I got that disc for the Japanese version. I doubt I'll spin the american release again - and I ever have too, I've always got the Scimitar version hanging around somewhere.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

The main problem I have with it is that it's an interlaced transfer, not progressive. DVDBeaver has some info on this.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Turns out my Godzilla Raids Again is defective. A serious combing/interlacing issue crops up right after the one character has spotted G, and then sees the other fella flying towards him:

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/90/htf_imgcache_2630.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/73/htf_imgcache_2631.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/00/htf_imgcache_2632.jpeg] [/url]

And believe me, this is exactly what it looks like on my set. The effect is not exaggerated in the framegrabs or anything. There is a very definite point at which the image goes caflooey.

Bummer!! Oh well, back it goes. Anybody else who's got this let me know if your's is the same. I would think they'd all be. Could this be a flagging issue of some kind?

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, are you playing this on a progressive scan set? The first Gojira DVD also had interlacing issues on progressive sets, and yes, I believe this is a flagging issue. I was hoping this would be fixed with the new titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks