What's new

"All That Jazz" - Any news on a DVD release?? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I'm dumping all of my old, prerecorded VHS tapes that I've replaced with DVDs...and came across this great film.

Has anyone heard any rumors of a DVD release date on "All That Jazz"??? ...how about "A Chorus Line"????

Joel C

Screenwriter
Ron posted on the restoration of the film about 6 months ago (?), it's probably accessible through a search. Rumored to be a Fox 5 Star release, hopefully coming this year. Peter Staddon hasn't been as visible around here lately, but maybe he can chime in with info.
In the meantime, MGM is about to release Fosse's Lenny, and great film, and you can check out my review here:
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=3345

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Last I heard was 3rd quarter.
I have no idea of any recent updates.
Looking forward to seeing it.
You can get a sneak peak of it here:
Ron's Reviews
Just click on All That Jazz (preview)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Not that it's probably much use to the majority of Region 1 collectors, but it might be of interest to know that the Region 4 DVD of "ALL THAT JAZZ" is being released this week in Australia.

It features,

1.85:1 / 16:9 Enhanced

Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo

"On the Set" clips of Director Bob Fosse

Audio Commentary by Roy Sheider

Roy Sheider Interview clips

Theatrical Trailer

No doubt the region 1 version will not be far behind, probably with the same features.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
There's also a UK R2 disc coming in May, just fyi. Hopefully the R1 will be announced shortly.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
My guess is that FOX is waiting to release "All That Jazz" along with "The Rose" and "Hello, Dolly" as part of a musical promotion with a repriced "Moulin Rogue." Though, I may be wrong since Best Buy has been selling Moulin Rogue for $22.00

As far as "A Chorus Line" it would be nice to have this film in widescreen, MGM/UA has the VHS rights, but I don't think they have the DVD rights - That's what I heard, the film is available in region 3 or 4 but in Pan & Scan.

One of the first films to be recorded with Digital sound, and one of the first to be released on laserdisc in digital sound, it sounded great, but the picture was Pan & Scan and fuzzy too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wasn't aware All That Jazz was
being released region 4.
If the domestic version isn't out soon,
I might have to go grab this one. After all,
it's my favorite movie.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Ron, also released here in Oz this week alongside "All that Jazz" is the wonderful "Hello Dolly".

I don't know why we are getting first bite of the cherry, but it certainly makes for a change, as we usually drag behind in most other titles.

The Dolly disc is bare bones and only contains a trailer as an extra.

The big problem with both of these titles on Pal region 4 is the horrible speed up.

I refuse to buy Pal versions of musicals for that reason.

So I will probably wait for the region 1 release on both.

Interesting also to note that we are getting actual NTSC and not Pal releases of both Calamity Jane and The Harvey Girls on region4, a week or two before you guys.

It means that I can purchase these 2 titles locally, save about $20 on each and not have to worry about speedup.

I hate to think what will happen to local purchasers of these two titles, because if they don't have an NTSC Capable TV, all they'll get is a black and white picture.

It could create some interesting complaints to Stores and the local Warner Distributor.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as "A Chorus Line"...one of the first films to be recorded with Digital sound, and one of the first to be released on laserdisc in digital sound, it sounded great, but the picture was Pan & Scan and fuzzy too.
I remember buying the "digital" soundtrack to this movie when it first came out -- on LP! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Come to think of it, I still have the LP...with the digital sticker still attached! :rolleyes

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Warners have been releasing NTSC DVDs in Australia for ages now. Some people do refuse to buy these DVDs, but most people wouldn't even know the difference if their television is multi-standard. I don't have a problem with the PAL speed up (don't hear it), so I'll happily buy All That Jazz and Hello Dolly in the coming weeks.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Mike,

I remember buying the "Chorus Line" Compact disc in 1985, I think this was one of the first CD's, it came in a long thin cardboard box. I think those boxes lasted about a year before the record companies did away with them.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a Region 3 release of "All That Jazz" was released on 6/6/02. I wonder what's holding up the region 1 disc?

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Chad, in this thread Peter Staddon said:
The R1 release was held up for a couple of months because of a potential new piece of material which in the end did not materialise. We are looking at when it would make most sense to release this and The Rose. They probably wouldn't do well in the crowded 4th quarter.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I don't know about the other FOX muscials, but If FOX wanted to cash in on "All That Jazz" I would guess they would release it in December when the film version of Bob Fosse's show "CHICAGO" opens. "CHICAGO" contains the song "All That Jazz" and would probably confuse many people into buying the DVD thinking they're related.

They are related in a way since the show in the film "All That Jazz" is based on parts of the stage show "Chicago".

I would guess the media will have many articles on Bob Fosse in regard to the "Chicago" film and the song "All That Jazz" may become popular again on radio and MTV.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For the record, I think Peter is correct to wait on both All That Jazz and The Rose. I want both titles - badly - but I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in. Otherwise, I'd just wait until "whenever I get around to them". Most people will feel the same.
I'd say to look for these around President's Day. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have still heard nothing, nada, on

this titles release other than the fact

that it may have been pushed to 2003.

I am a bit frustrated and really leaning

towards buying the region 2 version at

this point.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
...I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in....
Not me. I'm dying to get "All That Jazz" on DVD and would buy it anytime, anyplace...the sooner the better! I LOVE it when there are several DVDs that I want all released on the same day.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
...I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in....
Sounds to me like the DVD is ready to go! I sincerely believe that there are enough fans of "All That Jazz"
that it would sell very well no matter when it is released. This sort of attitude by Fox about potentail release dates is quite frustrating! I'm going to be getting a region free DVD player in a few weeks. So I too may go for a R2 version, especially if Fox decides to push this back to 2003 or heaven forbid later than early 2003. :angry: :frowning: :rolleyes

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
What big releases? I think "All that Jazz" fans will buy "All that Jazz" before even considering "That Big Lame Blockbuster from Last Summer that Really Sucks But I'll Buy the Three-Disc Set Anyway 'Cause I Have Compulsive DVD Buying Disorder".

Seriously, Fox, release it. I've got nothing but two Fassbinder titles and the Tenenbaums to look forward to this month.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree. It seems that this is a release-date-proof film. The people that want it are going to buy it whenever it comes out.

Whoa!! Didn't realize at first that this was my 2000th post!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks