What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just want to add my voice to this discussion.
I am in full agreemant with the previous posts concerning OAR.
Before dvd, I searched out letterbox vhs movies fro Media Play as they were the only retailer in Macon that sold the widescreen ratio. Laserdisc was out of my budget. Dvd came along abd I was hooked. My son enjoys OAR as much as I do and I am slowly winning the battle with my wife. I do not purchase discs in any form other than OAR.
Keep this thread going so that all studio execs will understand that this is the proper and only way to display dvd's.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hello Studio's? Want my money? huh? Well then give me OAR and stop this P&S only crap!!
NO OAR = NO SALE
Dont worry we won't let this thread die! I just had to find it first!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hello studios? No OAR = NO SALE!!

Not only that but me and some others I know are hiding the P&S releases when we go to the store....hehehe

Alan K

Agent
I wish you could hear yourselves through my mind. You, honestly, sound like snobs, although I do agree with you. I work two jobs currently, one I love and one i hate. The one I hate I work to make ends meet. It is at a store that rhymes with "best guy", and I sell home theater equipment. On a regular basis, I hear complaints about "those black bars" on DVDs and they want to know how to get rid of them. Right now, J6P is used to P&S after 20 years of it on VHS and are having trouble adjusting.

From my perspective the problem is the TVs. Many of the rear projection TVs sold by BB are 16:9, at least 1/3 of the stock and the Toshiba 50h71 is one of the best sellers. But most people don't buy RP TVs, they buy a standard tube TV.

Recently the price of 16:9 RP TVs and HDTVs have come down significantly, but not tube TVs. The price of a 34" tube 16:9 Toshiba is the same as the 50" 16:9 Toshiba. This just doesn't make sense. In order for 16:9 to catch on towards J6P, the price of 16:9 tubes is going to have to come down in price by at least 50%.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
You, honestly, sound like snobs
How is asking for a movie to be presented in its OAR snobbish? It is not like we are saying that feature packed three disc Collector's Editions is the only thing that will be acceptable. We are just asking to be able to buy DVDs that present the movie as intended.

If someone complained to an art dealer becuase they cut a painting so it would fit in a certain spot on the gallery wall, would you call that person a snob?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If your a studio looking to capture the lowest common denominator, by all means go P&S. And you will sell some titles. Just that if you'd like to make some serious cash, bring on an anamorphic OAR transfer and see long term sales grow and grow. P&S sales are a short term blast by a large segment of lowend buyers. Anamorphic OAR buyers not only spend more per title, they far out buy J6P, IMO, by more than ten titles to one.

Who you serve is up to you! Good Luck.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I think what bothers me most of this P&S/WS debate is the fact that originally DVD was having a tough time when introduced. Then LD collector's moved over and basically bought their asses off, ugrading and replacing their LD collections.

After a number of years, when the writing staring appearing on the wall for VHS, the 'mas market' started seeing all the benefits of DVD: lower prices (for purchases - not rentals), better sound, improved video, new features, ...

I have no problem with J6P (I hate that term) UPGRADING to DVD - what I do have a problem with is this - if you are going to upgrade to DVD - don't try to dummy it up. You upgraded for a reason - accept the good with the bad.

We OAR 'snobs' aren't getting everything we like either, however, we hope and dream and provide input to the studios - some listen to the people (FOX, Disney, New Line) others listen to the distributors mostly.

By dummying up the DVD for P&S, consumers don;t realize they are being short changed ( and I'm not really refering to the fullscreen issue). I'm referring to the the prblems inherent to the P&S video representation. WHen an OAR film is cropped and P&S, it negates the major reason that most VHSers upgrade - the better picture.

I think if the studios would state on the DVDs what an OAR film looks like as well as what a P&S film will look like when watched on a WS TV, maybe this would help. If their complaining now about black bars appearing - I think they would be quite surprised when they realize they will have the same problem when they upgrade to a 16x9 TV.

True, they will be able to use a zoom feature (if the monitor supplies that), however now they are back again with additional loss of resolution (loss due to P&S , and now due to stretching the P&S to fill the screen). They will be probably wish they stayed with VHS.

Lastly, I really do not see the purpose of P&S any film with an aspect ration less that 1:85.1, They blak bars that appear on anything from 1:85.1 or lower is very miniscule.

Maybe the studios should do dual releases on films with OAR greater that 1:85.1. Basically, the P&S people are feeding right into the hands of the studios. They know, these people will be back, so let's sucker them know, get them again when they upgrade to 16x9, and again when HD-DVD comes out.

ANd speaking of 16x9, what are these people going to do when they realize OAR films greater than 1:85.1 wills till have black bars.

I believe they studios will probably finally say enough is enough. Like it or leave it!

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
This is beginning to sound like a row boat convention.
No Oar = No Sale :b
Or should that be No Oar, No Sail...?
No, I think I got it now:
NO OAR = NO SHIP!
Am I making a titanic ass out of myself? :crazy:
But all kidding aside, I will not purchase a DVD that is not presented in the Original Aspect Ratio.
Unless it has Lea Thompson naked

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
I can think of at least half a dozen movies off the top of my head that I have refused to buy because they are pan 'n' scan only.
NO OAR = NO SALE

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
geez! so many of you seem almost violently against P&S. i completely agree, of course, but i'm not gonna riot or anything. :)
i think we need to push HDTV and 16:9 widescreen TV sets more than trying to get people to stop buying P&S. doing this will flush out (almost by default) all those people who "hate black bars."
fine, i'll give in: NO OAR = NO SALE!!

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Widescreen is the main reason I got a DVD player.

Now, if there's a choice, my local rental stores only carry the Pan&Scan version. It's just sickening.

Chris Kr

Agent
I will not buy pan and scan!!! Would you cut up the Mona Lisa to make it fit a certain frame??? Pan and Scan is just insanity!!!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I will not support P&S only DVDs, but futhermore, I will not support Studios that put out P&S only DVDs!!

No OAR = No Sale

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I will not support Studios that put out P&S only DVDs!!
A hard stance to take, since as far I know, Paramount and Dreamworks are the only major studios that have not announced or released a P&S only DVD without a corresponding OAR release. Bravo Paramount and Dreamworks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks