What's new

International All seasons of House M.D. being released in Germany on April 17th! (1 Viewer)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I would love to revisit The Sopranos, but am waiting for them to release seasons 2-5 on Blu-ray. I'm at a loss as to why they haven't been released already.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
Hmmmm .....

(I'll have to do the same "test" for my favorite episodes of Numb3rs. I'll watch some later tonight).
I watched through the pilot episode of Numb3rs in its entirety. Then I went to the next episode. After watching for 10 minutes, I went to another episode. (A few more times).

After not watching this show since early 2011, I have a huge "meh" feeling about it now. It felt almost like watching CSI or NCIS reruns. :(

So whatever excitement I had for Numb3rs back in early 2011, I can now conclude that it was largely due to my owning only the Numb3rs dvd sets and nothing else at the time. This was solely a "novelty" and "new experience" thing for me back in early 2011. I now strongly suspect that if I had purchased Numb3rs later after already buying a bunch of other tv season dvd sets, most likely I would not have felt much (if any) "excitment" about Numb3rs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
bruceames said:
I would love to revisit The Sopranos, but am waiting for them to release seasons 2-5 on Blu-ray. I'm at a loss as to why they haven't been released already.
Maybe one day HBO will release seasons 2-5 on bluray in Germany first? :lol:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that they didn't want to release Sopronas right after Gandolfini died. But who knows, perhaps this year or the next. It HAS to come.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jari K said:
So usually I just skip the tv/streaming and watch the whole season from BD.
(Expanding more upon this thought).

I recently also tried doing this with "complete series" sets of an entire tv show. Shows like Damages, The Borgias, and Dexter.

Awhile ago I did a marathon watch of Damages, where it turned out I really liked this show a lot. (I didn't watch this show at all before). Previously I thought lawyer type shows were kinda lame.

I got up early this morning, and decided to see whether Damages still holds up for me. I put on the pilot episode, and found that it seemed kinda "meh" after 20 minutes. Went on to the next episode, and it seemed kinda "meh" too.

More recently, I picked up the complete series bluray set of Dexter. Previously, I only watched the first season of Dexter when it was on prime time network television sometime during the 2007-2008 Hollywood writer's guild strike. I didn't continue watching Dexter afterward, but I liked what I saw up to that time.

About a month ago or so, I watched through season 1 of Dexter again. (The main thing I noticed was that the language was not censored). It didn't seem as exciting this time around. When I got around to season 2, I found the show to be somewhat "meh".

I haven't watched the remaining seasons of Dexter since.

On a parallel track, awhile ago I inadvertantly watched the tail end of a Breaking Bad marathon. Mostly half of season 4, and the entirety of season 5. One particular season 4 episode which went into Gus Fring's backstory caught my attention, and I recorded the rest of the marathon on the dvr. Previously I never paid any attention to Breaking Bad. I thought the premise of the show sounded kinda lame. So far what I have seen, it seemed "exciting" to me on the surface.

I don't know how I would feel about watching the previous seasons of Breaking Bad. I have not purchased any of the bluray season sets yet.

EDIT: Earlier today I also decided to go through some of my favorite Stargate episodes. They were not as exciting as the first time around, but they still held up.

I suppose if my house ever burns down or is destroyed in an avalanche or earthquake, I can probably re-buy a small number of tv show season sets without missing much of anything else. (ie. Shows like Star Trek TOS, Fringe, Stargate franchise, and the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica).

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
It seems to me, this thread has morphed into people comparing TV shows and what they thought of them. I think we are kind of getting away from the point, here. Yes, a lot of American TV is inconsistent (if somebody writes "meh" one...more...time...), but the point is that when you find a show you can enjoy, you should support that show and the Blu-ray format by buying the Blu-ray release.

As for people being underwhlemed by series the second time over, I cannot relate to this. I don't tend to feel differently about a TV show from my first viewing to my next. This is why I will be buying House--I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now, and hopefully I will continue to enjoy it for the rest of my life.

I will say a lot of the shows mentioned here as problematic are programs that I would not touch with a ten foot pole in the first place. CSI was good and watchable until Petersen left; Grissom was easily the show's most interesting character, and once he left, it just became about workplace interplay. Otherwise, it's basically all cable (and pay cable) for me when I rarely get into a TV show. The only network show I watch now is Hannibal, and right now I'm basically subsisting on UK Blu-rays of Scandinavian TV programming.I do hope that the 4K remastering of Breaking Bad get finished and put out on Blu-ray, because I would snap that up in a second.

None of this takes away from the fact, though, that House is deserving of a full series release on Blu-ray, and to ensure that other shows continue to get the same treatment, we have to show our support. I know that House went on way too long, and that the first three seasons are the best, but I take the good with the bad in the show, because no matter how crazy it got, Laurie always turned in a fine performance, and so did those around him.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
McCrutchy said:
I know that House went on way too long, and that the first three seasons are the best, but I take the good with the bad in the show, because no matter how crazy it got, Laurie always turned in a fine performance, and so did those around him.
I largely missed most of the early seasons of House. (Still haven't watched most of the early episodes yet).

I only really watched the later seasons when they were released on bluray. (They were dump bin finds I picked up back in late-2012 and 2013).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
McCrutchy said:
I do hope that the 4K remastering of Breaking Bad get finished and put out on Blu-ray, because I would snap that up in a second.
If I were to pick up the Breaking Bad season sets, this would be the main thing holding me back on buying any of the already released bluray sets.

Hopefully the 4K remastered bluray versions will look a lot better than the crappy picture quality of the AMC broadcasts.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"you should support that show and the Blu-ray format by buying the Blu-ray release."Fully understand your point and I often do that. But I guess my point was that I've seen many series from tv quite recently (meaning in the recent years) so that takes away some of the interest of buying the BD set (let alone in full price).24 is a good example. Watched every season and enjoyed it, but I highly doubt that I'll ever watch it again. House falls in the same category, I guess. For me, that's.It's a different thing with some of the series that I really love. Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland... I only watch these from the BD. This means that I'll wait until the next season is released on BD.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would love to own House the entire series on Blu, but not at $33-35 per season. I was one of the mostloyal House viewers both first fun and during those long Marathon sessions on Cable -- had many of the seasonscompletely on DVR.Other than the fact I start acting a bit too House-y after watching too much and finding I really have to censormyself, I have no problem re-watching these.The US seasons that have been released have been as for well under $20 each so for now I'll just wait either for the other seasons to come out or hope for a True Complete set to release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
McCrutchy said:
As for people being underwhlemed by series the second time over, I cannot relate to this. I don't tend to feel differently about a TV show from my first viewing to my next. This is why I will be buying House--I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now, and hopefully I will continue to enjoy it for the rest of my life.
I suspect this varies significantly from person to person.

For people who think similar to you in regard to watching tv shows a second time over and not feeling underwhelmed, I would imagine the movie companies love you guys as regular customers. :)

For people who think similar to me on this matter, I suspect we're not considered the main target customers for such tv show season sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
David Norman said:
Other than the fact I start acting a bit too House-y after watching too much and finding I really have to censormyself, I have no problem re-watching these.
One of the things which initially caught my attention when I first watched House, was that Dr House thinks in a similar manner to how I think in real life. :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Understood, but before I was smart enough to not say stuff out loud. House talks like most people poston the internet. "Man that;s an ugly baby"

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jari K said:
24 is a good example. Watched every season and enjoyed it, but I highly doubt that I'll ever watch it again. House falls in the same category, I guess. For me, that's.
I've gradually come to the conclusion that almost every tv show I have watched, fits into this category. (And numerous movies too).

Back in 2011-2012 I didn't want it to be this way for me. But nevertheless, I now accept that this is indeed the case for me.

Jari K said:
It's a different thing with some of the series that I really love. Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland... I only watch these from the BD. This means that I'll wait until the next season is released on BD.
(Tangentially).

The only single definitive similar case of this for me, is the original 1978-1979 Battlestar Galactica season set. (Excluding the Galactica 1980 season). Over the last year or so, I have watched the entire season more than a dozen times already. :3dglasses:

The only semi-rational (or irrational?) reasons I can think of for me obsessively watching the entire 1978-1979 Battlestar Galactica season over and over again are:

- It was the first non-cartoon live-action tv show I latched onto when I was a kid/preteen. Previous to that time (circa 1978), I never latched on to any live-action tv shows. (ie. It was my first non-kid "novelty" and a huge "new experience" for me at the time).
- It was the first sci-fi franchise that I came across. (I didn't really pay attention to Star Trek and Star Wars at the time. ST and SW came later for me).
- I read through the first several Battlestar Galactica novels which were published back in 1979. They were the first books I read on my own, which were not required "school reading" type stuff.
- It was only 24 episodes long.
- I was at an impressionable age and the show made a huge permanent emotionally charged imprint on my mind. (The only other things which made a huge permanent imprint on my mind from that time, were the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack and the "Love Gun" album by KISS. Both are still my favorite music albums, despite the cheesiness of it all). :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
David Norman said:
Understood, but before I was smart enough to not say stuff out loud. House talks like most people poston the internet.
I can relate.

When I was younger, it took me a long time to eventually figure out that many people do not like hearing the plain unvarnished truth about anything. Speaking like "Dr House" generally created a lot of enemies for me.

When I was a teenager and young adult, I sorta resembled the "Sheldon Cooper" character from tv show "The Big Bang Theory". As I got older, I became more and more mentally like Dr House.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Here is confirmation that these discs will be at least Region A and B, and released elsewhere.

Japan (which is a Region A territory, like the USA) is getting a full series box on May 9, 2014:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks