What's new

All of those TV on DVD Releases Making You Flat Broke? (1 Viewer)

R. Kay

Second Unit
I really love TV on DVD, but the overall cost is excrutiatingly painful on the wallet ...

And to think ... the best TV on DVD isnt even out yet!

Seinfeld
Get Smart
Hill St. Blues
St. Elsewhere

These studios keep piling on the releases, but there's a limit to one's affording it all!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I will be buying at least 1 TV box set every Tuesday from January 6, to February 10, and a couple of those days I will buy more than 1. I would like to see Get Smart on DVD though, and with all the money I'm spending I'm relieved that Seinfeld will not be coming out until later next year.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Simpsons x3
Futurama x2
Family Guy x2
Buffy x4
Angel x2
Law & Order x2
The Osbournes
Malcolm in the Middle

I hate to even think of the cost. The good thing is that there is always something to watch, the bad news is that between XBOX and TV on DVD I don't watch enough real-time TV to justify the $50/month.:frowning:

David M.

Agent
Alias, Deep Space Nine, Buffy and Firefly are my picks for December. My wallet will beg for mercy that month. LOL

Christopher D

Second Unit
Yes! I just ran the total for my DVD spending (five years worth, collection of 500++ titles) through Quicken and was absolutely shocked. It seems like only a few bucks for two or three titles a week at Weekly Roundup prices, but the total quickly adds up. I am cutting back by a marginal title a week -- Three's Company was first on the list.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I’ll bite here…

These are the TV releases I own.
All in the Family, 2 seasons
Beavis and Butt-head, 6 DVDs
Cheers, 1 season
Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 seasons
Family Guy, 3 seasons (2 volumes)
Frasier, 1 season
Friends, 5 seasons
Futurama, 1 season
Good Times, 1 season
The Jeffersons, 2 seasons
King of the Hill, 2 seasons
Malcolm in the Middle, 1 season
Married…with Children, 1 season 2 best ofs
Mary Tyler Moore show, 1 season
M*A*S*H, 4 seasons (5 in December)
Osbournes, 1 season
Ren and Stimpy, 3 DVDs
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends, 1 season
Sanford and Son, 3 seasons
Saved by the Bell, 2 seasons
Sex and the City, 2 seasons
Simpsons, 3 seasons, 2 best ofs
South Park, 2 seasons (3 in December) and 3 best ofs
Spin City, 2 best ofs
Sports Night, complete series
3’s Company, 1 season

A few more if you counted the Daria, is it fall yet TV movie, and the Peanuts collections.

In January/February I will add…
1/06/2004, Frassier season 2, and Cheers season 2 (at least 1 of these should be a birthday gift)
1/13/2004, Green Acres season 1
1/20/2004, Dilbert the complete series
1/27/2004, The Critic complete series, and Friends season 6
2/03/2004, In Living Color season 1
2/10/2004, Dick Van Dyke season 3

TV boxes are the main part of my collection, I don’t buy a lot of movies really.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Luckily I'm not caught up in it really. I just collect the Little House set so far due to money restrictions but if I had alot more money I'd sure buy alot more.

A little off topic, I keep seeing the complete Wonder Years series on ebay for around $150 for all 115 episodes, are these things legit or do you think they are bootlegs?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm not kidding that every spare cent I get goes to buy TV on DVD box sets. I don't even buy movies on DVD. If I made more money, I'd of course have a lot more DVDs, but truth be told, I have most of what I really want. My habit began about a year ago and has resulted in this:

Twilight Zone Coll. 1-3,5 (still need 4)
Friends 1-5
M*A*S*H 1-4
Smallville 1
Futurama 1,2
Family Guy 1,2
The Simpsons 3 (still need 1 and 2)
Saved by the Bell 1&2
Sports Night Complete Series
Three's Company 1
All In the Family 2
Married w/Children 1
Soap 1
Anna Nicole Show 1
Cheers 1
Frasier 1
ER 1
CSI 1
The Dick Van Dyke Show 1,2
Little House On the Prairie 1
Malcolm in the Middle 1
NYPD Blue 1,2

With all these series I've started collecting that went on for several seasons (Cheers, M*A*S*H, Friends, Simpsons, Frasier, etc.) and about 2 or 3 new series I like coming out on DVD every month, pretty soon I will have no trouble finding about 3 or 4 box sets I NEED each Tuesday.

It's going to be insane and expensive. I see myself having prioritize in the very near future. Nobody likes to do that.

From the rest of Nov. through Feb., I'll be adding:

The West Wing 1
Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast 1
Aqua Teen Hunger Force 1
The King of Queens 1
M*A*S*H 5
Friends 6
Frasier 2
Cheers 2
The Critic Complete Series
Barney Miller 1
Lost In Space 1
Gilligan's Island 1
Curb Your Enthusiasm 1
NYPD Blue 3
Green Acres 1

And February announcements have just begun...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It has finally started to catch up with me. I have yet to pick up 24 season 2 or X-Files season 8. I want both seasons of All in The Family and Dick Van Dyke that are out, as well as the Honeymooners.

And on the horizon Alias, Firefly, Babylon 5 the final DS9 and then Voyager follows...

The wife is gonna kill me.

Ric

StacyV

Second Unit
If all I had were the four Sopranos box sets I'd be broke with those prices, but I also have 24--Seasons 1 & 2 and first season sets of Soap, Good Times, Three's Company, and What's Happening with the Honeymooners Classic 39 on the way. If money allowed, I'd also own Smallville, All In The Family, the Jeffersons, Homicide, Saved by the Bell and the Star Trek: DS9 sets. For starters. Maybe someday...

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, especially since I've recently gotten into Farscape and "had" to buy them on DVD. Here's a list of my favorite shows I'm currently collecting.

Andromeda Season 1- blind buy, will be renting the rest afterwards
CSI Season 1 & 2 I love this show, and it's one of the few (CSI, Angel and Survivor) I watch when it normally airs.
Clerks: Uncensored
The Dead Zone Season 1 Brilliant show, hope the rest of the seasons come out soon
The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 1 Season 2 is on the wishlist
Family Guy Seasons 1-3 Caught every episode when it was on, love having these on DVD!
Farscape Season 1 Actually all but the last 3 discs, seasons 2 and 3 are in the mail on the way.
Futurama Season 1 & 2 Same as The Family Guy.
Hercules Season 1 Another blind buy, I really loved this show- to my surprise. Will be renting season 2 and Xena.
I Love Lucy Season 1
The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 1
The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus Probably my favorite DVD set
Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean
Mr. Show Season 1-3 Another blind buy that I LOVE, I've probably watched the first set about 50 times already.
My So-Called Life My favorite show when I was in the fifth grade, watched the orginal airings then taped them all on the MTV marathons... so glad I got to replace those tapes that were falling apart.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Every release so far, I've loved this show since I was a kid and I hope they release these (especially the pre-SciFi Channel years) on a regular basis.
Strangers with Candy Season 1 & 2 I only caught about 10 episodes here and there on TV, love owning the sets to watch anytime I want.
The X-Files Season 1-7 I actually love the later seasons, and this is my all time favorite show. Will be renting season 8 as it was pretty touch and go and will skip season 9 as it was a big soap opera.

Thankfully Netflix has lots of tv shows, I can just rent the ones I'm kinda interested in and save up on the ones I REALLY want.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think I know what your TV-on-DVD collection looks like, Dave - a bunch of boxes, plastic cases, cardboard snappers that each contain 1 or more shiny metal discs. :)

As for the titles, I don't think there's enough time in the day for you to type them all up.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I wanna see it Dave! Geez, I forgot that I still have to pick up the latest Sopranos and Homicide, and I've also been collecting Farscape.

Ric

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Dave, I'm curious. I mean I know you've got to have a lot and yet I still am curious.

Of course, if you don't want to tell us, instead you can just tell us when All in the Family season 3 is coming out? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm sure it probably would take awhile for you to type it all up, but I am curious.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I can't seem to get enough TV on DVD (especially old shows)! I now only watch about 3 hours of broadcast tv a week! Here's my list so far:

Alias-season 1
The Avengers '65-4 sets
Bonanza-2 "best of" sets
Dark Shadows-sets 1-7
The Dick Van Dyke Show-2 seasons
I Love Lucy-Vol. 1-9
Little House On The Prairie-3 seasons
Malcolm In The Middle-1 season
Once And Again-1 season
The Rifleman-2 sets
Six Feet Under-1 season
The Sopranos-3 seasons
Star Trek: TNG-7 seasons
Star Trek: DS9-4 seasons
24-1 season
Twilight Zone-Collection 1
Twin Peaks-1 season
Wild Wild West-7 Columbia House volumes
Will And Grace-1 season
Wiseguy-set 1

That's 20 shows and there's at least that many more on my list of shows I want that haven't been released yet! I love it though because I just don't find that many newer shows interesting, you can revisit old favorites from childhood, you can watch as many as you want anytime you want, you can discover shows for the first time, and best of all--NO COMMERCIALS!!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I hear you guys. A couple of years ago I would never have imagined how TV-on-DVD has blown up.

Lambert, I partially blame you & Lacey and your ^%#$ site. You can expect my bills in the mail. ;)

Seriously, I'm just glad I'm almost done with Star Trek (no "Voyager" for me) and "X-Files". Those are the big ticket items, and there's only one more of each to go.

Anyway, since we're whipping out our lists, here's what I've been collecting:

Alias
All Creatures Great & Small
All In The Family
Angel
Babylon 5
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Cheers
Coupling (BBC)
Dick Van Dyke
E.R.
Family Guy
Fawlty Towers
Friends
Futurama
Homicide: Life on the Streets
King Of The Hill
Larry Sanders :frowning:
Mad About You
Mary Tyler Moore :frowning:
M*A*S*H
Monty Python
The Muppet Show
NYPD Blue (although I think I'm stopping with S2)
The Outer Limits
The Prisoner
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Sex & The City
The Simpsons
The Sopranos
South Park
Sports Night
Star Trek: TOS, TNG, DS9
Stargate SG-1
The Tick
The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks :frowning:
Upstairs, Downstairs
The X-Files

Miniseries/Documentaries:

Band Of Brothers
The Beatles Anthology
Bridehead Revisited
The Civil War
Cosmos
Elizabeth R
The Forsyte Saga (B&W)
From The Earth To The Moon
I Claudius
Jazz
Lonesome Dove (All 3 series - "Return" doesn't count)
Roots
Shogun
Tales Of The City (All 3 series)
Victory At Sea
The World At War

On the horizon:

The Critic
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Firefly
Freaks & Geeks
Gilmore Girls
Invader Zim
Seinfeld
The West Wing
The Winds Of War

Hopefully someday (I can dream, can't I?):

Hill Street Blues
Millennium
Northern Exposure
Rich Man, Poor Man
St. Elsewhere
The Tick (Animated)
War & Rememberence (in normal sized packaging at a reasonable price)
WKRP In Cincinnati
The Wonder Years

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If Ebay is the only place you see it (i.e. no other big name retailers like Amazon or Best Buy), then yes, it's a boot. :thumbsdown:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Do you guys think there is a chance that Twilight Zone will be reissued in season sets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks