What's new

All in the Family - Why aren't they giving us the 2 unaired pilots? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
There were 2 pilots made before the 3rd one sold. They both exist at UCLA archives. Why won't Columbia put them in as added bonuses? I know they do down and dirty DVDs but that would be a nice little pull for some people who might be on the fence about buying the show. Give them something they'll never get on TV.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Does Columbia own those? Or does it belong to Norman Lear, or the production company, or some other party?

Ahh, pilots. I'd love a DVD colelction of just failed pilots. I believe there's a thread on that here or somewhere nearby...

BOMM,

CS

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
One is lost. I know that. And why would you want to watch two pilots made from the same script?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The one they recovered has added lyrics to the theme in the end credits, the family is called Justice, and the character who became Mike is Irish in this pilot.

Glad I taped it off TVLand several years ago.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
...his name was Richard, he was played by a football player turne dactor and had a different actress for Gloria..

The two pilots were called Justice for All and Those Were The Days.

but the question still remains... why does anyone want the two pilots since they were filmed with the same script? It's beyond me.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Why wouldn't we?? Sure the script may be the same, but the cast & scenery changes would be worth it, especially to see how the show was originally intended to look prior to the changes we came to know.

The next 2 'Three's Company' season sets will be including the 2 unseen pilots. The script is the same but the actresses had changed in each. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing how well (if at all) the cast changes were wise or not.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If I was a fan of this show and someone who has been pushing for more speedy releases, I'd be all over these pilots. As Andrew indicated they would offer a fascinating look into the evolution of this series. I'm grateful that the Carl Reiner pilot for "Dick Van Dyke" was included in that set for this very reason.

I'm with Mark To on this. Unless the source tapes are severely damaged (nothing indicates this to be case) or one of the rights holders is being selfish (always a possibility) I would think including these would be a no brainer.

Steve

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why seasons 1 through 6 have been rereleased to dvd on amazon's upcoming release schedule and also season 1 released in the Norman Leer collection if it is doing so poorly. Sony , please get the last 3 seasons releasd on DVD. There are some really good episodes in the last three seasons.

Thank you !
Richard Ringenbach

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
With regard to the unaired pilots, of course devoted fans of the show would want these. They are part of the show's rich history. It took a long process to get the show on the air and these pilots are an important part of that. I'm shocked that anyone who claims to be a fan would even question this.

I'm certainly curious as to why one or both of the pilots were not included with the first season set as a bonus. I have only seen one of them when it aired as a special a few years ago. For some reason it doesn't seem to have ever appeared again. I believe it was the second pilot that was shown. There was some speculation that the other pilot was lost although I have since heard that it may have been found. Although that might be a rumor, too. Maybe one or both pilots need remastering and that's kept them off the sets. But my guess is that it's just laziness.

I'll be the first to admit that the show was not as good in it's later years but true fans want all the seasons released. However, as I have said many, many times if people were actually buying these releases then we would likely have seen more of the series by now. Money talks.

Perhaps it's time for them to jump to a complete series set that includes the final seasons. That's better than not getting them at all.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Why are we concentrating on unaired pilots. We need to get the rest of the series on DVD before we talk about unaired episodes and best of DVD's, like Sony has been doing. I wish Sony would hurry up and get on with it.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
I'll make them a trade. They can keep their pilots if they finish the final seasons.

imadkhuri

Grip
Real Name
Imad Khuri
You mean final 3 seasons. (Seasons 7,8, & 9) I called Sony a few weeks ago, to see why they're re-releasing the first 6 seasons. They said they're doing it for the purpose of smaller packing and pricing to sell directly to consumers who haven't purchased the sets, hoping to justify releasing the last 3 seasons. I sure hope this concept works out for them.

Imad

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I Saw one of those unaired pilots on YouTube....Archie and Edith were good but the actors who played Mike, Gloria and Lionel were not the best...I can see why THAT one was unaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks