What's new

all in the family seasons 7-9 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock

And your final comment is 100% accurate. The more intelligent the show, the worse its going to do. There are far more morons than there are bright people. That's why Gilligan's Island sells well and Murphy Brown doesn't.

Well, in their original runs Gilligan only went 3, while AITF went 9 and Murphy Brown went 10. And while I'd agree that GI was certainly more silly than anything else, I despised AITF and Murphy Brown and never considered either intellectually stimulating. They both were too preachy for my tastes. But to each his own.

Gary "never a Norman Lear fan" O.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Rain
Everything comes down to sales, folks. If people are not buying AITF in high enough numbers then they simply aren't. Too many older sitcoms don't sell well because older customers are not buying DVD's as much as young customers. And younger customers aren't as aware of shows like this because they are not still being played to death like The Brady Bunch & Full House. This is also an intelligent, adult show. That's often the kiss of death.
Well, it sounds right, but the fact is that so many other shows even LESS popular than AITF somehow made it to DVD -- and not just odd shows from the '70s, but the ,60s and '50s as well! And with MORE seasons! How in the world can shows like MR. ED, WHAT'S HAPPENING?, FAMILY AFFAIR, or MARCUS WELBY be out on DVD, but not ALL IN THE FAMILY? No, there is no definite rhyme or reason to this.

Anyway -- I'm glad to hear that SEASON 7 will be available from SHOUT! FACTORY -- now, all I need is SEASON 8 after that (the last one to feature the Stivics before they move) and I'm satisfied!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Since I never got any of Sony's original releases of AITF a box set of all 9 seasons and the spinoff may entice me to make the plunge. No one can be certain at this point if Shout only has the rights to the last 3 seasons or if at some point down the road they'll release a complete series box set so I don't want to throw money away on these only to get burned later. Can anyone tell me what was Maureen Stapleton's last season? I remember Edith's funeral episode quite well, but I was only about 10 or 11 years old when it aired

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

No, there is no definite rhyme or reason to this.
Yes, there is. It's almost entirely about sales and sales expectations. If a set hits the goal that the company sets, you'll probably see another set. So if Sony thinks What's Happening will sell 500* copies and it meets or exceeds that number, they continue to release it. If Sony wants All In The Family to sell 750* copies and they only sell 600*, they may (and apparently did) drop it because it didn't meet its goal. One show could have outsold another but if the bigger seller didn't meet the company's expectations, that could be the end of the road for it while the smaller seller is perceived as a success because it met their expectation.

* Completely made up numbers.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Since I never got any of Sony's original releases of AITF a box set of all 9 seasons and the spinoff may entice me to make the plunge. No one can be certain at this point if Shout only has the rights to the last 3 seasons or if at some point down the road they'll release a complete series box set so I don't want to throw money away on these only to get burned later. Can anyone tell me what was Maureen Stapleton's last season? I remember Edith's funeral episode quite well, but I was only about 10 or 11 years old when it aired
Jean Stapelton's final season was (IIRC) Season 2 of Archie Bunker's Place.

I have to wonder if Shout will get around to continuing ABP after AITF is completed?

As for a complete series set... who knows? That would be a weird split with 6 Sony seasons and 3 Shout seasons.

But, they did get the two seasons Universal released of Leave it to Beaver for their complete series set due next week, so who knows?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And, direct from TSOD, confirming Brent S's post and Amazon's page... but with box art!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Family-Season-7/13974

October 5.

This one surely came out of nowhere. It looks like the Sony floodgates really did open when Shout announced The Facts of Life.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR
Yes, there is. It's almost entirely about sales and sales expectations. If a set hits the goal that the company sets, you'll probably see another set. So if Sony thinks What's Happening will sell 500* copies and it meets or exceeds that number, they continue to release it. If Sony wants All In The Family to sell 750* copies and they only sell 600*, they may (and apparently did) drop it because it didn't meet its goal. One show could have outsold another but if the bigger seller didn't meet the company's expectations, that could be the end of the road for it while the smaller seller is perceived as a success because it met their expectation.

* Completely made up numbers.
And yet, here is SHOUT! FACTORY, releasing ALL IN THE FAMILY (S7). So do the folks at SHOUT have smaller expectations than Sony, or something? The whole thing is ridiculous, studio workers setting some sort of arbitrary numbers for expectations and thinking they're being scientific or something. Since the earliest days of VHS I've always heard the "this title will not sell!" cry for TV and movies, yet just about everything we've ever wanted has gotten released anyway. It's not an exact science. Never has been, never will be. I can't imagine FAMILY AFFAIR: THE COMPLETE SERIES doing whopping business either, yet it's being released.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
And yet, here is SHOUT! FACTORY, releasing ALL IN THE FAMILY (S7). So do the folks at SHOUT have smaller expectations than Sony, or something?
Yes. It's probably not that Sony would lose money if they released All In The Family, it's that they don't see it as worth their time based on what they'll make from it but Shout does feel it'll be worth their time.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Can anyone tell me what was Maureen Stapleton's last season? I remember Edith's funeral episode quite well, but I was only about 10 or 11 years old when it aired
Jean Stapleton starred in all 9 seasons of ALL IN THE FAMILY.

Ms. Stapleton guest-starred in only a handful of ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE episodes, during the first half of its 1st season; her final one was "The Shabbat Dinner."

The 1st episode of ABP's 2nd season was the 1-hour "Archie Alone" (a two-parter in syndication). It picks up one month after Edith's death, and deals with Archie & Stephanie coping with the loss.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Call me greedy, but I'm hoping not only AITF gets finished and we get ABP, but also hoping there's a chance we'll see The Jeffersons finished as well.

Seriously, anyone else want to dispute that Shout! is becoming a key player in classic TV now?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat
Call me greedy, but I'm hoping not only AITF gets finished and we get ABP, but also hoping there's a chance we'll see The Jeffersons finished as well.

Seriously, anyone else want to dispute that Shout! is becoming a key player in classic TV now?

Heck no! Shout was a serious player in Classic TV when the picked up Father Knows Best, The Patty Duke Show, and now the Complete Leave it to Beaver. When that last series was announced Shout automatically went to the front of the class when it comes to Vintage TV on DVD. Anything else after that is just extra icing.

Gary "not a Norman Lear fan at all, but I won't deduct points from Shout for releasing some of them" O. /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I like that the box art is consistent with previous seasons.
Also, I was in the store the other day, and I noticed that Sony repackaged the AITF season sets. They changed the cardboard digipaks to slimline dvd plastic cases, so this will fit right in.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green
I like that the box art is consistent with previous seasons.
Also, I was in the store the other day, and I noticed that Sony repackaged the AITF season sets. They changed the cardboard digipaks to slimline dvd plastic cases, so this will fit right in.
Shout has kept the box art consistent for all the shows they've picked up in mid stream.

...except Mystery Science Theater 3000.

But the classic sitcoms and dramas have all been consistent.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Here's to hoping that other abandoned Sony shows get picked up by Shout: Benson, One Day at a Time. Although, Shout has also acquired properties from other studuios, no? I wonder if they make a ton of money on these pickups would the studios do a 360 and try to win back control of the rights. Maybe they'll learn a lesson here: there IS still a market for TV shows

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

I think they are the key player, as Paramount seems to have slowed down a bit.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I am so excited to hear this news. I am in for the remaining 3 seasons and the continuation with "Archie Bunker's Place". From what I've read online, it would be a smart move for Shout to continue ABP since Season 2 is the infamous episode that covers the passing of Edith. Many have wanted to see it and hoped for a dvd release. Now, there is renewed hope.

As for "All In The Family", I have a hunch this might happen. The show still has fans out there and it was definitely a good addition to Shout's catalog. Thank you Shout!

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Thank you Shout. This makes my day. I hope they can track down the uncensored print of "The Draft Dodger" and that 90 minute special from 1979, and I hope they preserve hour-long shows as single shows.

Did they get the rights to all the seasons or just 7-9?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR
Yes. It's probably not that Sony would lose money if they released All In The Family, it's that they don't see it as worth their time based on what they'll make from it but Shout does feel it'll be worth their time.
So then like I originally said, it's not so much about "sales" after all! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif It's just stupid stuff, indifference, feeling "too important" to bother, etc. ALL IN THE FAMILY is a much more classic and important award-winning TV show than many currently released DVDs of other lesser shows, thus it deserves to be out and the amount of people interested in it has got to be more than the extremely obscure THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW (which is coming out)! I am one of the very few people buying DVDs who actually recalls THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW (and just barely). And Archie Bunker is an iconic character in our culture.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
You have to also realize that the exact same sales figures can mean a success to Shout! and a failure to Sony based on their profit points. Somy has a huge overhead to help cover; Shout! a MUCH smaller one. You can't look only at how many units sell or how much profit, but what does that profit mean to the studio.

If your employer said, "You know, we decided to give you just $10,000 for your year's work," would you really accept it and think to yourself, "Well, making $10,000 is better than making nothing." Of course not. You have a base expense amount you have to cover every year, and an amount of value for your work that together makes up what you deem worthwhile to accept for your time and efforts. Same with the studios. It's an awful lot of work to go through for a "mere" say $75,000 profit on a season for Sony, which probably wouldn't pay a fraction of their employee medical insurance but might pay it all and then some for Shout!, making it far more worthwhile for them than for Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks