1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

All 4 "Airport" Films From Universal -- Coming February 10th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Oct 29, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Well-Known Member

The "Airport Terminal Pack" coming on 02/10/2004. [​IMG] ......

From DVD File:

>> "...New catalog announcements from Universal Studios Home Video. On February 10th comes the Airport Terminal Pack, featuring the four famous Airport disaster classics - Airport, Airport '75, Airport '77 and - for the first time on DVD - The Concorde: Airport '79. All feature new anamorphic widescreen transfers and no extras. Retail has not yet been set, but stay tuned. I know you can hardly wait..."

A shame about the "No Extras" part. I wonder if at least the Trailers will be included?

I'm doubting it'll be worth the double-dip if you've already got the Good Times releases, which look A-OK to me (esp. the March 2001 Anamorphic original film, "Airport").

Hardly seems worth upgrading to just get "Concorde '79" (which is horrendous). Maybe worth it for a few laughs. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

These releases will all be from Universal and will be new anamorphic tranfers. These should definately look better than the low budget Goodtimes label. Airport 77 for one was incredibly dark. I had to crank the contrast nearly all the up on some scenes. I will definately pick this up. The set is suppossed to have a low retail price so it doesn't look like they will be available seperately.

3. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this set. In my opinion, Goodtimes' "Digitally Mastered 30th Anniversary Widescreen Edition" of Airport(which was anamorphically enhanced)looked very clean and very sharp. This release seemed like quite a pleasant surprise back in early 2001 since I don't believe there was ever any announcement or information on it prior to it showing up on the budget release shelves of some retailers. Prior to this, Goodtimes put out an inferior P&S version of the film. I wouldn't mind at all if Universal uses the same transfer(which they probably will). The Goodtimes versions of Airport 1975 and Airport '77 where in non-amamorphic widescreen and where too dark. They also exhibited what I believe are called compression artifacts in a number of scenes. New anamorphic widescreen transfers done by Universal would be most welcome. The Concorde:Airport '79 has never been on DVD(one of the all-time unintentionally funny movies in film history[​IMG]) It is a shame that, once again, we will get no extras with these movies[​IMG]

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Well-Known Member

Not even a trailer for the films? That strikes me as a gyp. I'll probably not upgrade. Airport '77 would benefit from its TV footage included as a supplement because without it, the film is really a bit of an incomprehensible mess. I only watch my off-air recording that uses the TV cut.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Well-Known Member

CONCORDE: AIRPORT 79 was also expanded for TV showings, but not to the extent that 77 was. I wish they'd include that footage on the DVDs as well as the theatrical versions.

6. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Well-Known Member

That's great. I've got both Airport 1975 and Airport '77 on Goodtimes DVDs and they both have horrid non-anamorphic transfers with jagged edges galore. I'll definitely upgrade if the price isn't stratospheric.

7. StevenFC

StevenFC Well-Known Member

I just want the original. Maybe I can find that Goodtimes version somewhere. It's the only one I saw in the theatres.

8. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Well-Known Member

Another chance to see George Kennedy's "over-acting" [​IMG]

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

these films were huge when i was a kid, and i've got the GT versions of Airport and Airport '75.
    i've just been thinking recently how much i would have like to have seen Concorde ('79), but the odds against that showing up on disc would be astronomical.
    i wish they were all going to get their own disc and cases (and i really wish Universal would put the trailers on these-is that really so much to ask?), but i probably have to pick this up-
    the reviews i've read for Concorde have been hilarious.

10. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Well-Known Member

wow, i'm glad i didn't buy any of these yet.

11. David Von Pein

12. Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel Well-Known Member

If you want the deleted scenes from the two movies on the dvd's then go and send universal an e-mail. That is what I did. I am not sure if it will work, or if I even sent it to the proper area, but is is worth a shot. I also reemed them a new one about theor fullscreen only cartoon titles such as American Tail, and Land before time. We need to start a petition or an e-mail group for this. Maybe we can be heard!

13. David Von Pein

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Well-Known Member

Quite true on the bad dubs, but almost all of the contextual scenes that enable the plot to make sense are missing in the theatrical cut that explain the robbery, and co-pilot Robert Foxworth's involvement and how they're pulling it off. George Kennedy doesn't even show up until long after the plane crashes in the theatrical version whereas in the TV version (which was the only one I was familiar with growing up from its many airings on NBC in the 80s) he has a gaggle of scenes before that.

15. David Von Pein

Two e-stores have the "Terminal Pack" up for pre-order already. (Only a $24.98 MSRP!)

Incredibly cheap HERE (a mere $4.37 per film!). [​IMG]

DeepDiscount has it pretty cheap too (under 20 clams).

Hard to pass up 4 films (in Anamorphic Widescreen) at these rock-bottom prices.

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

I would only be interested in the first one

[​IMG]

17. David Von Pein

18. David Von Pein

This sub-$25 MRP makes me wonder if the movies will be packed in separate keepcases, or (possibly) packaged in a DigiPack thingie (like "The Simpsons"), with one movie placed on each of 4 hubs within a single gatefold. (Wouldn't a single unit be cheaper for the manufacturer?)

Or ... Another possibility would be: placing more than one film on a single disc; thus reducing cost.

Airport Food for thought.

*strokes chin, wondering*

19. David Von Pein

With a brief bit of research, I just answered my own question (above), re. the case type / disc number.

The "Terminal Pack" WILL, indeed, be packaged in a "DigiPak" case. And the 4 films will be on just TWO discs. (So, I'd guess that means the dreaded dual-sided platters; with no disc art. [​IMG])

More Data Straight From Universal.com.

[​IMG]