What's new

aligning projector to match screen.. (1 Viewer)

KeithRW

Auditioning
OK..I got my VPL-HS20 all set and the image is being projected on the screen..well kinda..Im using a 90" 16:9 screen

Basically I need an idiots explanation on how to project an image onto a screen so that it matches the size of the screen..basically whats happening is I get the image aligned on the screen but my grey bar up top goes off the screen and at an angle..and the bottom of the image seems a little skinnier than the top..not by much..

Whats strange though is..if i took some curtains and covered the top and sides..it would like a perfect 16:9 image and hide the geometry error

Adam Demuth

Agent
First thing you need to do is make sure that the projector is level and square to the screen. If the picture is trapezoid shaped then you can use the on your projector to fix the problem. Use that in combination to the zoom to try to correct the problem. If your projector does not have a keystone adjustment feature, you will need to change the height of the projector/screen and the angle of the projector. If the picture is wider at the bottom, you need to raise the screen and point the projector up, or lower the projector and point it up Vice-versa if it is bigger on the top. If your projector's mounting is versatile, I would align it by moving the projector around and using the digital adjustments only for very minor adjustments, if any at all.

JeromeB

Agent
Adam,

Excellent advice, but as I am planning my HT, as a newbie my greatest fear is having difficulty aligning my projector and setting the contrast ratios properly. If your projector image does not fit your screen perfectly, will the black edge matting take care of this, or will I forever perseverate and focus on the malalignment of my nonperfect 5K projector?

Regards
-jerry

KeithRW

Auditioning
There is hope Jerome..i was able to get my screen lined up properly and adjusted with minimal Keystone adjusting..the black matting on the sides of the screen do help prevent overflow of the image..but I assume if you have the picture and distance etc set right then it shouldnt be an issue..

The only issue i have at this point is an odd ghosting..when watching a movie it looked like there is clear ghost image of the picture..like watching LOTR..Frodo for example would have this outline of himself more up top like around his head than anything..i dont notice this on the bottom half of the screen seems to only be affecting the upper half. I must have something set incorrectly.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
One quick way to know which way to move the projector is to remember this rule. The direction in which the trapezoidal shape is too big is the direction in which you need to move the projector.

Examples:

If the bottom of the projected image is too wide compared to the top of the image, the projector needs to be moved downward.

If the lower left corner of the image extends too far compared to the other corners, the projector needs to be moved down and left.

wdiaz777

Auditioning
Real Name
Wil
[SIZE= larger]My problem is that I have my projector set up to the left on the projector tucked away, the image is great except for the lower right side of the screen. Is there any wy that this can be fixes without me having to move the projector to the middle of the room? Anyones help will be greatly appreciated. Is there any way that I can fix with out moving the projector to the middle of the room? I figured there may be something since it is only the bottom right corner.

Any help is appreciated.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks