What's new

Alien Vs. Predator dvd. Any news? (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
The sound is AWESOME! the dts track kicks you in the gut, then forces your ears to bleed. it's a great mix, sounds from every direction, dailogue sounds natural and well-centered, music sounds good, and the bass...oh the bass...you can tell they wanted the veiwer to be in the middle of some insane action. Too bad only about 10 minutes of the movie are worth watching.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I liked the film, especially since my boy Predator was the victor.:)

The DTS track wasn't hidden, I found it easily without even knowing it was on there before hand.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

No, actually, I didn't. I saw some stinkers, like The Village, Sky Captain, Life Aquatic, etc. and I saw alot more films in a better span that usual. So you probably shouldn't make assumptions like that.

I wish I had missed out on this clunker though.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Does anyone know why, on the DVD, when the extended version is selected from the menu, the film starts without the Fox Fanfare music/logo, or titles?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
"Hidden" was a bad word for me to use. No where on the sleeve or case do you see the DTS logo. If people didn't read the specs and just popped in the movie without going into the setup (as a lot of people I know do), then you would not know the DTS track was there.:D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I understand what you mean, Chuck, although it does say, in very small print, in the specs table 'dts 5.1'. :)

However, in regards to the menu, this dvd is no different from every other dvd that offers a DTS track. I can't think of a single one that defaults to the DTS track without selecting it.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I know that. I know people who are not as savvy as us who just pop in the disc and let it play the DD track by default.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator

They start up normally on my disc. You get the Fox Fanfare, then the "Antarctica - 1904," caption. The scenes progresses, Predator slashes at Alien, and then the main titles begin.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Well, people haven't been waiting over a decade for Cellular like they were with AvP. Also, I didn't see Cellular because it looked like a POS.

I haven't seen Maria Full of Grace but I do want to. It has gotten pretty good word of mouth and seems to be doing well with critics as well.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I finally saw this over the weekend. Very crappy. Dumb characters, bad dialogueand horrible fight scenes. And the end where that Shakira wannabe made friends with the Predator? Well, nuff said.
The story was essentially, you go in the pyramid and people are killed off one by one just like in a slasher flick.
Does anyone really want more than one disc of this mess?

Well Maria has been nominated for some Oscars. What has A vs P gotten, Razzie nominations. And Sky Captain, more originality in it's pinky finger than A vs. P.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What exactly are you trying to tell us, Mikel? ;)

Actually I am compelled to defend the scene when the Pred teams up with the woman. In the comics it's revealed that Predators, or 'Yautja', have been known to on occasion recognize certain qualities in other lifeforms that make them worthy of "knighthood" if you will, into the clan.

The elder Yautja's frown on this practice, but accept it when it occrs. It's quite facinating when you delve into the lineage, psychology, physiology and rituals of the Yautja species. It adds to the film a great deal as well IMO.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Well, what did that Pred see in the girl? I can see this applying to Dutch from the first Predator and maybe Glover's character from the Predator 2. I don't recall anything from AvP that would convince me this "team up" is anything other than generic story progression from a terribly-written and uninspired script.

How come they didn't adapt some of the good material that was already out there instead of writing this film into nothing more than a slasher pic? And a very bad one at that!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kain,
it helps to remember that Yautja all have different personalities and are individuals, like we are. The Yautja from the first film may have been an exhiled 'bad blood', or criminal element on their homeworld, who didn't care about the honor code and just looking to kick some ass.

It's not revealed in the film, but in the comics the Preds that are on their first hunt, or 'blooding in' right of passage typically hunt Aliens produced by a captured Queen, as seen in the film. I think that the Preds in the film are young and inexperienced, thus it would explain why it may have jumped the gun and accepted a human too easily where as a 'blooded in' Yautja would have just killed her on the spot.

And afterall, she did kill an Alien right in front of it, I guess that Yautja thought that was pretty dammned impressive for a human.

It helps to apply imagination to films such as this, instead of seeing things as the extension of a bad script, try imagining something else as to why something is happening, it works for me most of the time. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I got this as a free rental so I checked it out.

It reminded me of the film Cube, except it was set in a pyramid rather than a cube, and used aliens instead of hidden killing devices.

On the whole it was an ok little diversion -- and a slightly ridiculous buddy picture.

The DVD was weird - there were bonus features that didn't seem to have anything to do with the film. There's a commercial for sports teams, for instance. At first I thought it was a clever tv spot, which would start with competing human sports teams and then would reveal two new teams - aliens and predators in AVP the motion picture. But it wasn't. It was just an ad of some kind, disguised as a bonus feature.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the reason I rented the DVD as well,but I was greatly dissapointed with it as a movie,and it's underlying political themes just makes me angry,which we can't discuss here.But I won't say you shoudn't see it, people always should make up their own mind.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Alien vs. Predator gets my vote for "sleeper" of the year...as in "YAWWWNNNN!!!"

Truly boring, even at 100 minutes. Ridiculous story-line, bad acting and very uneven special effects. There was NOTHING even remotely resembling tension during the entire movie. Hopefully it will be another hundred years before this "war" will continue...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks