What's new

Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
IMO, they hadn't hit rock bottom yet with the Predator, I love Predator 2 and they could have easily have made a third film if it weren't for the passing of Kevin Peter Hall who was signed on for two more I believe at the time of his death.

AVP has grown on me with each viewing and would like a second one. :emoji_thumbsup:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I disagree, it should have been easy to satisfy most of the "AvP" fanbase but the film still managed to outrage people that weren't expecting much. Nobody expected anything but a mindless action movie out of "AvP" but that's what we got, but the problem is simple: it's not a good mindless action movie. Everyone wanted the first film to be good, it just wasn't. "AvP" has the box-office record for the highest opening weekend for a film that didn't ever reach the $100,000,000 mark. That really sums up the way the film was recieved: the concept itself is enough to get a lot of people into a theater but everyone seemed to jump ship when the actual quality of the film was revealed. Like most others, "AvP" was probably the single most disappointing moviegoing experience of my life but I'll still remain optimistic about any future "AvP" movies. I just hope that they learn from the huge mistakes made on the first film.

Anyways, I hope they see a future "AvP" movie as an opportunity to right the previous film's wrongs. They alienated the fanbase, robbed both franchises of all credibility and exhausted the "I gotta see that" factor. When this movie is released, they're gonna have to deal with the die-hard fans that felt betrayed by the first one and the casual moviegoer with the "been there, done that" attitude towards another on-screen pairing. The only way "AvP2" won't definitively kill both franchises is if it's... SHOCK... actually GOOD! That's what they need to be worrying about, hiring a great writer (which already doesn't seem likely, since they already have a script which seemed to come out of nowhere) and a visionary director.

and also, THEY NEED TO GET STAN WINSTON STUDIOS TO DO THE CREATURE EFFECTS! ADI is capable of doing the Aliens but they really botched the Predators.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I would usually be in agreement with all of you, saying that this movie stunk. However, for whatever reason, I actually kind of liked it. Maybe it was because I expected absolutely nothing. Maybe not a buyer, but definitely a fun movie.

I have mixed feelings about a sequel, and not even sure if I will see it. But who knows, the first one surprised me.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
It was a damn sight better than Alien3 "theatrical" and Alien Ressurection.

At least AvP tried to be entertaining.

No, it wasn't anywhere near the first two alien movies, but that ship sailed a LONG time ago.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Not only would I disagree with you, the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes rankings also disagree with you. In the eyes of the vast majority of the fanbase, Paul WS Anderson managed to make a movie significantly worse than "Alien3", "Alien Resurrection" and "Predator 2". I not only think that "Alien vs. Predator" is much more of a tedious viewing experience, it is completely artless, which certainly can't be said about the films Fincher and Jeunet made, and Stephen Hopkins isn't the most artistic director ever but he's actually a competant technical director, unlike PWSA.

Here are their scores. The percentages are from the Tomatometer, the other number is from IMDB:

Alien: 100%,93%(DC)/8.4
Aliens: 100%/8.3
Predator: 79%/7.4
Predator 2: 25%/5.5
Alien3: 33%/6.2
Alien Resurrection: 52%/6.0
Alien vs. Predator: 22%/5.4

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Whatever. Like or dislike AvP, it doesn't bother me either way.

I just dont get the hate, never will.

I'm looking forward to a sequel. I just hope they set it in the far future. :D

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It's easy to understand the hate. A hack director took a potential franchise goldmine and made a mindless, non-entertaining Bay-esque action flick without a single redeeming quality. Worse, he made up his own story instead of simply adapting one of the several good stories already out there.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I usually hate sequels that totally ignore the previous entry, but I'd be all for it in this case. ;)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I don't hate AVP, I saw it in theatres and bought the original DVD. I admit that they "droped the ball" and it could have been better. To me the movie was "Ok"... Not good but not bad either.

The only movie I can't stand is "Alien Resurection", that one's a turd!!!

I love all the others including "Alien 3" & "Predator 2".

Kami

Screenwriter
Perhaps my original post was too harsh, but you must understand that AvP was like a punch to the face for me, a very big Alien and to a lesser extent Predator fan.

I admit to liking some parts, like seeing what a Queen would be capable of in a large area and not just cramped hallways. And overall the Aliens themselves were brilliantly realized. Even the CGI was pretty good.

Oh, and Mr. Weyland playing the knife trick with his pen was awesome!!

But other than that, total turd. The guy with the digital camera that keeps talking about his kids ranks up there with the most annoying characters in cinema history for me.

It's really more disappointment than hate. My original opinion of the film was clouded by the few cool parts. Seeing it a second time, I realized just how BAD it is.

Amen to that.

Tony-M

Auditioning
I am of the opinion that Alien Resurrection was a horrible movie. I have several comic books of AVP (I bought years ago) several of them have a female being a champion in the end of the comic. So I the movie kept close to that concept. A lot of sci fi - horror movies have been doing this going on in comic books when there show is canceled. The latest example is Angel.

As much as all these people complain I bet they will go see another AVP.

Bottom line I thought the movie was going to suck, but it was better than I gave credit for. (':emoji_thumbsup:')

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sexist, I don't object to the fact that a female earned the respect of the Preds, I object to how the character was completely unremarkable and undeserving of said respect. What did she do? She held up a spear as an Alien attacked her. People object to the Predator/Lex pairing for one reason: as a writer, Paul WS Anderson failed to make it believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks