What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from the Bits

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Not only is Wreckage and Rage: Making Alien³ the uncut and restored version of the documentary - originally titled Wreckage and Rape - that was edited for the Alien Quadrilogy DVD release, an additional 30 minutes of ALL NEW material has been added to this documentary as well. The Enhancement Pods contain extensive new material, as does the MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience with Weyland-Yutani Datastream. You'll note also that both The Alien Legacy and Alien Saga documentaries - which were excluded from the Quadrilogy - are finally here as well. One note: Some of you may recall that, several months back, actress Sigourney Weaver gave an interview to The L.A. Times in which she suggested she was going to be recording all-new audio commentary tracks for these films. Unfortunately, we've heard that, despite great effort to make it happen, this could not be arranged.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Where is the Wreckage and Rage on the DVD set? is it just the name for the multi part doc?

All I want to know for sure before I pre-order is that Cameron signed off on the Aliens transfer, and Alien lives up to the D-theater tape.

Also that Alien Resurection has the Bleach Bypass timing the laserdisc had and not the odd non timed version that the HDTV and DVD versions have.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Looks absoloutely fantastic, can't wait to see the full Alien3 doc and the version with the new sound mix! However I have 2 questions...
- How come there are "deleted and extended scenes" for each film on the first 4 discs, then deleted scenes again for Alien and Aliens on disc 6? Shouldn't they all be in one place? I can't imagine Aliens having so many deleted scenes that they have to spread it over 2 discs. I hope it's not a mistake and that the only deleted scenes are for the first 2 films... I'm holding hope for more Alien3 footage! [EDIT] Could it mean "Deleted and Extended Scenes Marker" instead, since that feature was on the US Quadrilogy set? Maybe I'm jumping the gun.

- Is the "2003 Special Edition (Restored Workprint Version)" the same version from the Quadrilogy (the 'Assemley Cut') or the actual original Workprint with extra scenes?

Also that information on the Digital Bits website about Sigourney not being able to do the commentaries has now gone from the site.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
One more thing I wondered was about the sound mixes.

English DD4.0 Surround and English Dolby Surround (Alien & Aliens)
Will these be the OG mix on Alien (six track 70mm) without the center that was made later?

Originally Posted by Daz_85

I hope it's not a mistake and that the only deleted scenes are for the first 2 films... I'm holding hope for more Alien3 footage! [EDIT] Could it mean "Deleted and Extended Scenes Marker" instead, since that feature was on the US Quadrilogy set?

Maybe the setup is like the Quadrilogy release (you access all the Special Edition/Director's Cut scenes that weren't in the theatrical versions through a separate menu). I thought the Alien and Aliens deleted scenes on Disc 6 are the newly-discovered ones.

I'm amazed that both versions of Evolution and the Alien Saga documentary are included. I have a question, Mr. Lauzirika: were you able to find the Alien 3: Bringing the Screams to the Screen retrospective featurette that originally aired on HBO in the early 90's? I know it's probably all covered anyway by the other three doc's on Disc 6, but I was curious.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have one additional question about the first ALIEN film on disc:

The 1999 DVD included on-set production audio on the alternate music track, including different dialogue at some points.

It sounds from the features list that this is not what is on the new Blu-ray. The new music tracks appear to be one that has Goldsmith's original cues, and a second one that has the revised score with the Freud cues and the Howard Hansen music at the end.

I'm thinking I should continue to hang on to the 1999 DVD to retain the production audio. Am I wrong?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks

Originally Posted by Alex Gregory

Maybe the setup is like the Quadrilogy release (you access all the Special Edition/Director's Cut scenes that weren't in the theatrical versions through a separate menu). I thought the Alien and Aliens deleted scenes on Disc 6 are the newly-discovered ones.

I'm amazed that both versions of Evolution and the Alien Saga documentary are included. I have a question, Mr. Lauzirika: were you able to find the Alien 3: Bringing the Screams to the Screen retrospective featurette that originally aired on HBO in the early 90's? I know it's probably all covered anyway by the other three doc's on Disc 6, but I was curious.

Do we know what the Dolby 4.0 and the 2.0 tracks on Alien and Aliens are? they can't both be isolated scores

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mike Wadkins

Any chance of a heads-up on certain issues that people mentioned above re: Alien, Charlie? Like, will the 1979 version have the original colour timing? Is the second isolated score the same music + production audio track from the 1999 DVD? Will the crew dossier easter egg make it across? And finally, what will be the lottery numbers for next week?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Geoff_D

Any chance of a heads-up on certain issues that people mentioned above re: Alien, Charlie? Like, will the 1979 version have the original colour timing? Is the second isolated score the same music + production audio track from the 1999 DVD? Will the crew dossier easter egg make it across? And finally, what will be the lottery numbers for next week?

We know this for sure? its the real 70mm audio at last! no phantom center

It was shot in SD, I believe. And it seems a bit much to be all in HD, it's a lot of footage :).
I love the content and I am glad its there, but I do find it weird when its SD on a blu.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree that given the length of each of the documentaries, there's no way they could be in HD and all fit on one side of a disc, Blu-ray or otherwise. We're talking about something in the neighborhood of over 10 hours, when you add all the docs together, and we haven't even started dealing with the "Enhancement Pods" yet...

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
BTW the crew dossier Easter Egg from 1999 appears to be included here on Disc 6 under the ALIENS section as:

"Weyland-Yutani Inquest: Nostromo Dossiers"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
BTW the crew dossier Easter Egg from 1999 appears to be included here on Disc 6 under the ALIENS section as:

"Weyland-Yutani Inquest: Nostromo Dossiers"
That appears to be more indicatve of the dossier readouts on the screen behind Ripley when she's testifying before the review board at the beginning of Aliens. Don't know if that is where that Easter egg was derived from, however

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Mike Wadkins

We know this for sure? its the real 70mm audio at last! no phantom center
If its 4.0, its not the 70mm mix. It should be 4.1. And most Dolby discrete mixes from that era have phantom centers anyway if the dvds of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner are to be believed. Frankly I was under the impression that the 5.1 mix featured on the quadrillogy Alien mix was just a straight port of the original six track stems. It seems to have that "deafening volume" Scott claimed the film had in its premiere on the commentary which the old Alien Legacy release lacked.

As for Aliens, not sure if that was released split or mono. Alien 3 was definetely split.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
According to the press release, both ALIEN and ALIENS will be presented in English DTS-HD MA 5.1, as well as English 4.1 Dolby Surround and plain vanilla English Dolby Surround. The third and fourth films will be presented in English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and English DTS 5.1. (I'm leaving out the other languages to keep this simple.)

As for the dossiers, I can now say that they are derived from what was on the inquest screen in ALIENS, but they are not copied word for word. As an example, the educational background listed for Kane is the same, but the material is presented in a different fashion. I have read online that the content of the screens was taken from the materials prepared by Ridley Scott for the cast of the first film, but I haven't been able to confirm this. The fact that the DVD dossier for Ripley includes her maternity leave indicates that may have stemmed from the daughter subplot of the second film. (Perhaps Mr. de Lauzirika may be able to help here?)

In all likelihood, the two Easter Eggs from the 1999 DVD are still exclusive to that release - the crew dossiers as lovingly prepared and presented in that situation, and Ash's presentation of the Alien's life cycle to his (its) Weyland Yutani superiors.

The real question left for me is whether the production audio track has carried over on the alternate music track, but if it doesn't, I still have the older DVD, which I'm happy to keep.

Oh, and the lottery numbers for next week depend on what state you're in. If you're on Thedus, they will be 38-559-204-3098XQ.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

According to the press release, both ALIEN and ALIENS will be presented in English DTS-HD MA 5.1, as well as English 4.1 Dolby Surround and plain vanilla English Dolby Surround. The third and fourth films will be presented in English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and English DTS 5.1. (I'm leaving out the other languages to keep this simple.)
Well I guess that answers any questions. And any ones in regards to how Aliens was mixed originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks