What's new

Alien Anthology Blu Ray 2010 Update : Ripley to record audio commentaries for all 4 films (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I probably posted this in the wrong thread before. For those interested, Sigourney never recorded the new commentaries due to conflicting schedule.

I'm very saddened by this. I would have loved to hear her thoughts about the four films. I still have the Alien Anthology pre-ordered, and If if I haven't heard such great things about the quality of the films I would have canceled on first word of this. Oh well...in a perfect world I guess.
Seems like that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sigourney is present on the cast commentary for "Alien"

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
For my money, she should still record them when possible, and they could offer them as downloads. I would happily pay a few more bucks to have that ultimate extra feature.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

Seems like that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sigourney is present on the cast commentary for "Alien"

Yes, but from my understanding the purposed commentary for the new set would have been Sigourney alone. No one to interrupt or change the direction of a commentary as group commentaries often do. Films 2-4 were much more Ripley specific, and just the idea of Weaver(especially on Aliens) tell what it was like from her perspective would have been fascinating. I know audio commentaries are often very average with a few interesting facts here and there, but on one of my favorite films this was my holy grail of audio commentary tracks.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

For my money, she should still record them when possible, and they could offer them as downloads. I would happily pay a few more bucks to have that ultimate extra feature.

Great idea. Hope Fox thinks the same.

shazzerman

Agent
Real Name
Noel
I'd love to hear her thoughts too. People living in the UK might remember Dennis Pennis... Well, Ms Weaver was the only celebrity - the only one! - I saw on that show who was a match for Dennis's sarcastic jibes (he dresses like a clown, talks like Woody Allen on speed, and pretends to be from the BBC - asking people like Steve Martin why he isn't funny anymore, and to his face); she really went up in my estimation after that encounter - feet planted firmly on the ground and all that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would have liked to hear her commentary but when I first heard this news, I did how wonder if she'd be able to fill over 8 hours of time. Alien was over 30 years ago and Resurrection was nearly 15 years ago so between it being that long ago and with that much time to fill, it seems like there would have been alot of long spaces of silence or she'd start repeating herself or making the boring "Working with Ridley (or Jim or David) was amazing"-type of comments.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This comes out tomorrow but there are no reviews. I find this a tad baffling. Or maybe it's NOT coming out tomorrow because Best Buy didn't advertise it in the Sunday circular. Maybe it's one of those releases that studios don't think need to be marketed?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Luisito34

This comes out tomorrow but there are no reviews. I find this a tad baffling. Or maybe it's NOT coming out tomorrow because Best Buy didn't advertise it in the Sunday circular. Maybe it's one of those releases that studios don't think need to be marketed?

Our reviewer didn't get his boxset until this past Friday which is why reviews are late because the review copies are arriving late to the reviewers. With this much bonus material and four movies to boot with alternate versions, it's going to take some time to do a review on this boxset in the right way.

Crawdaddy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ The Bits has their review up. There's also one at Big Picture Big Sound. (A simple Google search will turn this one up.) DVD Beaver has one up, too. So that isn't entirely correct.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Originally Posted by TravisR

I would have liked to hear her commentary but when I first heard this news, I did how wonder if she'd be able to fill over 8 hours of time. Alien was over 30 years ago and Resurrection was nearly 15 years ago so between it being that long ago and with that much time to fill, it seems like there would have been alot of long spaces of silence or she'd start repeating herself or making the boring "Working with Ridley (or Jim or David) was amazing"-type of comments.

I always thought that they would either bring in other people to fill in any gaps (other cast and/or crew they missed the first time around) or that they would cut Weaver's comments into the existing commentaries, at least for Alien 3 and Resurrection (the tracks for Alien and Aliens are too crowded as it is!).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Jason_V

^ The Bits has their review up. There's also one at Big Picture Big Sound. (A simple Google search will turn this one up.) DVD Beaver has one up, too. So that isn't entirely correct.

Thanks Jason but I usually only trust the reviews here at the HTF - Personally, I just think they're more "official", if that makes any sense. Also, thanks for your response, Mr. Crawford. I'll look forward to the usual in-depth review whenever it becomes available.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I was sure I'd see it advertised in Best Buy's ad, or Target...ar any of the Sunday circulars. With the amount of work put in to this set, I'm very, very puzzled that it is not featured in any of the ads.

Very strange indeed.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I was sure I'd see it advertised in Best Buy's ad, or Target...ar any of the Sunday circulars. With the amount of work put in to this set, I'm very, very puzzled that it is not featured in any of the ads.

Very strange indeed.

I was very surprised by this as well, though I guess it's not a shock for Target. I can't remember if they even carry any sets this expensive on Blu-Ray. Best Buy's a shock to me though. Maybe there was some miscommunication about the street date when the flyers were being put together? I was assuming this set would show up in a couple of Best Buy's weekly ads between now and Christmas, probably with a small sale or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks