What's new

ALIEN 2: ON EARTH Coming To Blu-Ray & DVD (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by DolphC

Thanks for all the kind words. Alien 2 was never released in the states on video. The title Alien Terror was used in other countries including the UK.

I'm very much looking forward to Alien 2 on Blu-ray. What can you tell us about future titles, Dolph? Specifically, will Midnight Legacy focus strictly on Eurohorror or can we expect to see gool 'ol American slasher flicks as well? Also, what are your thoughts on using original poster artwork on the cases? Good luck on the new venture!

DolphC

Grip
Real Name
Dolph Chiarino
I'm glad you're looking forward to this. As for future titles, without giving anything away, you will see the focus on euro horror, with a few American films thrown in. While I am unable to be title specific now, I can tell you that our initial licensing roster contains an additional 11 titles. Finally, whenever possible, original art will always be used. Alien 2 is very different due to a variety of factors. Due to time constraints, I suggest you check our blog concerning the artwork, or a recent post at AVS. Both cover this in detail.

Thanks again for your support and I look foward to seeing your reaction to our future titles, especially the next one.

Dolph

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I've decided to simply judge this company on product alone and not get overly influenced by the thread at AV Maniacs. It's hard not to be excited when an obscure flick comes along that you've wanted on DVD for a long time. Honestly, the only furstrating thing about Midnight Legacy, at the moment, is that you guys aren't making a standard version available along with the blu. Is it gonna be blu-ray all the way for all the titles, or, are you gonna make them DVD standard ready, too?

Oh, and, anybody who gets ALIEN 2 when it comes out, (Luis), make a post here about it. I'd like to know everything about the quality, extras, etc, so, I'll know where on my priority list it will go.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SWFF

I've decided to simply judge this company on product alone and not get overly influenced by the thread at AV Maniacs.

No doubt, you should decide whether or not to buy this title on your own. This is precisely why some of us have made it a point to make known the true history of the people behind the company releasing this title. They (Bill Knight and Dolph Chiarino) have tried to hide their history, whereas we have put their unedited history out in the open for the public to see. The members of the public can now make up their own minds as to whether or not the want to support a company that is run by such individuals as the ones who run Midnight Legacy.

Vincent

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cafink before the mark Alien was registered." Perhaps I misread that as "made first" - it might've meant they made it before anyone registered the trademark for "Alien". In other words, it was made AFTER "Alien" but before "Alien" had a legal claim to the name in Italy.

Still seems strange the Wiki listing claims the plot has "little connection" when it sounds like a total ripoff...

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent_P
No doubt, you should decide whether or not to buy this title on your own. This is precisely why some of us have made it a point to make known the true history of the people behind the company releasing this title. They (Bill Knight and Dolph Chiarino) have tried to hide their history, whereas we have put their unedited history out in the open for the public to see. The members of the public can now make up their own minds as to whether or not the want to support a company that is run by such individuals as the ones who run Midnight Legacy.

Vincent

As I mentioned, I think, that's what I'm gonna do. I just need that first review of the DVD to help in making my final decision. If it's a good one, then it'll make my wishlist.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
So you guys have decided to change the color of the case from red to standard blue, because of consumer backlash? How can anyone mistake a red Blu-ray case for a DVD or something else. Besides, red stood out, particularly for this release - I saw nothing wrong with it. In fact, I think the cases should slightly larger, like what Criterion uses. I don't see anyone complaining about their cases (which are very classy and more attractive and makes their stuff stand out). Or what about Scorpion, who have used red, green and blue cases for their DVDs? Strange.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Thanks for that info, Luis. I replaced the red one with the blu one in the opening post. I have to admit I thought it was a bit unusual to go with the red, but that wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. But, whatever . . .

DolphC

Grip
Real Name
Dolph Chiarino
Guys, We have decided to replace the case in favor of the blue one, but we will be doing a slipcover that will look very similar to the original design of the red. There is a long back and forth about this on the Blu-Ray forums, but this way, all our releases will be uniform and everyone has an option for how they want it to display.

Also, thanks for the blog coverage Shawn. Much appreciated

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Man, I'm gonna have a hard time waiting to see what's next!

Shouldn't the title of the thread say "coming to Blu-ray!" ?

Originally Posted by DolphC

I'm glad you're looking forward to this. As for future titles, without giving anything away, you will see the focus on euro horror, with a few American films thrown in. While I am unable to be title specific now, I can tell you that our initial licensing roster contains an additional 11 titles. Finally, whenever possible, original art will always be used. Alien 2 is very different due to a variety of factors. Due to time constraints, I suggest you check our blog concerning the artwork, or a recent post at AVS. Both cover this in detail.

Thanks again for your support and I look foward to seeing your reaction to our future titles, especially the next one.

Dolph

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by WadeM
Shouldn't the title of the thread say "coming to Blu-ray!" ?

You're absolutely right, and the appropriate changes have been made.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I know it's supposed to be available in November, but what's the pre-order date?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
OK, it's speculation time. While we await the release of Alien 2 I'd like to get a little discussion going about what we HOPE to see from Midnight Legacy in the coming months and make some predictions. Based on what Dolph said we are to expect at least 11 more titles to be released in the coming months, most of which will be Eurohrorror. Some, no doubt, will be reissues of material previously released and/or botched by other labels. Taking into account a comment someone made in another forum regarding another label's rights to some top Eurohorror titles expiring, I believe we MAY see some of the following films properly released in the near future:

1. Anthropophagus. As much as I like Shriek Show's DVD, I'd like to see D'Amato's best film on Blu-ray. A nice plus would be an updated version of the documentary on D'Amato for the U.S. market.

2. FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET. This Argento masterpiece has recently become my favorite of his films (after Phenomena). Mya's disc is nice but it is not flawless and some say it is cut.

I'm not going to list Fulci or other Argento titles as many of the top titles are with other labels.

Just Before Dawn. I've heard of an 11-minute-longer version of this film that could make it's way to a new disc if there's enough demand for it. Put me in for a couple of copies.

This is my (wish)list for the time being.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
They're supposed to be releasing films from at least 2 of these directors according to another forum: Joe D'Amato, Jess Franco or Umberto Lenzi

Personally, although I wish other films were done right the first time around, I'd prefer new-to-home-video releases. Although, I must say that your list is tempting, Luis.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by WadeM

They're supposed to be releasing films from at least 2 of these directors according to another forum: Joe D'Amato, Jess Franco or Umberto Lenzi

Personally, although I wish other films were done right the first time around, I'd prefer new-to-home-video releases. Although, I must say that your list is tempting, Luis.

Wade, I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning new-to-dvd titles - they're always more exciting than reissues. There are a couple of Lenzi flicks still left unreleased in Region 1: Eyeball and Ghosthouse. I've never seen the former and the latter is an OK haunted house flick with a really annoying jingle that plays throughout the film. Nevertheless I would like to see both hit hi-def.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
According to Midnight Legacy's blog they finally have a precise release date, which is November 16th, I also added that date to the opening post, and they also stated there will be an early review of it on Digital Bits mid-next week. Looking forward to that review.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I just added the red slip case cover to the opening post, in addition to the blu DVD cover.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that $32.99 isn't the suggested retail price---it's the actual price. uhh.... I appreciate trying to make a release perfect, but price does matter, so I think I'm gonna have to pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks