What's new

Alice Faye Collectiom (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
On the Avenue is in the box, I think it's just not sold separately. But if you look at the lateral of the box cover art, you will see On the Avenue written along with the other titles.
I think US$ 50,00 is an advance compared with the US$ 60,00 that the other boxes were sold. And you have to agree that the supplementes are very good. Not to mention the restoration job from Fox that is always great.
I'll buy the box, it the day it streets. Even the ones that are not huge Faye fans should support. Otherwise, we may never see Tin Pan Alley, Rose of Washington Square or Hello, Frisco, Hello on dvd. Well, that's my humble opinion about the subject.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

DVD Times has now realised the error and you'll see their listing has now been amended to read: 'Lillian Russell, That Night In Rio and The Gang’s All Here will be available individually ($19.98 SRP each) or as part of a 4-disc collection ($49.98 SRP) which boasts an exclusive fourth film On The Avenue.'

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Exactly. I wouldn't pay the high price for the Fox Gable Collection when it came out. Too many other priorities. But I just got it last week from DVDPlanet.com along with The Big Valley Season 1 in their Fox Buy-1-Get-1-Free sale and $10 off $30 for using Google Checkout. Total for both boxes: $22.47 delivered.

If you wait a few months and look for sales like this you should be able to get it for prices more in line with the Warner box sets. It seems that Fox product usually ends up being discounted a bit more eventually.

Corey

Screenwriter
yeah i'm an alice faye fan, but i can wait till it goes on sale. joan crawford v2 or esther williams is a different story though.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Surprised Hello, Frisco, Hello isn't in the set. That movie contains probably her signature song, You'll Never know.

Really glad On The Avenue is there...has a great Berlin soundtrack.

This is a very welcome and anticipated collection!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
And finally through this route the Ritz Bros. get their DVD debut too (not counting GOLDWYN FOLLIES)! :D

Marc^H

Agent
I've learned my lesson with the Fox box sets. If I wait, they always turn up at Costco (just got the Best Picture box set, including the elusive SUNRISE for $20). Last week the Charlie Chan, Gable, and Betty Grable sets were all there as well.

Probably wont be able to wait for this one, because I will need to have THE GANGS ALL HERE immediately on street date. The big screen TV has been waiting patiently for this title for some time...

I wonder if some of the Fox movies dont sell as well because they arent as well known today?

Charlie Chan, Mr Moto, Alice Faye, Sonja Henie, Detective Michael Shayne, Will Rogers....it doesnt seem like these have had the cable exposure of the MGM and Warner films...they didnt benefit from the "Thats Entertainment" boost in the 70s...and though some were on VHS, Fox Video was very (VERY) slow in getting on the classic movie bandwagon, and when they finally did the exposure wasn't great (I worked at Borders through the 80s and 90s, and we had a huge classic VHS selection...but hardly any of the above were ever represented).

Also, I notice the Fox movies havent been subjects of study in film books like the MGM, RKO and Warners ones have, particularly the musicals. I guess it really has been a case of low exposure over the years.

Corey

Screenwriter
i'm getting a 40" samsung LCD hdtv and carmen miranda is gonna look STUNNING onscreen.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Gosh, if you think that Fox's A-list films haven't circulated much in the recent years, take a gander at their 30s/40s "b" films. They've really been absent for eons. I've wondered for years why they've never even made it to filler status on the Fox Movie Channel. They've never even aired a single Jones Family film. I vaguely remember encountering one or two B items (like one of the Jane Withers titles), but that was quite a while back. Although just a few days ago, I was thrilled to see "Born Reckless" (1937) listed on their schedule (nifty cast... Rochelle Hudson, Brian Donlevy, Barton MacLane, Pauline Moore, and others). But my thrill was short-lived when I realized I no longer received the Fox Movie Channel on my dish, and I missed out on it.

Anyway, nice to see Alice Faye get a set. I'm still looking around in my local stores for Will Rogers, vol. 2. I bought quite a few Fox sets this past year, and I'm quite happy with them.

SamSpade

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Maybe I missed it, but have they announced who is providing the commentary (I think only one disc will have one)? Jeanine Basinger or Sylvia Stoddard would be my guess.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I haven't seen many FOX musicals, so I'm glad they're putting some of these movies back in circulation for newbies like me, and the next generation of movie fans to discover.

I don't mind the price of their boxsets one bit - I figure you gotta pay extra for beautiful poster art on the covers, nice restorations, and the cool extras. FOX seem to be one of the few studios still regularly including audio commentaries...even on their lesser known films. When I think of how many famous classics don't get commentaries (Universal's DVD of "The Heiress" for instance...what a shame!) - well, I really appreciate FOX taking the time to find scholars/critics willing to contribute. I just love learning behind-the-scenes stuff.

I plan to buy every FOX box I can, even for stars like Alice Faye or Tyrone Power, who I'm not really familiar with. Especially because I'm not familiar with them! There's so much to discover when you're a movie lover. ;) (Er, make that "addict")

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Serena, I totally agree with you. But even for those who complains about the price, that's good news that the Alice Faye Colletion comes with a list price cheaper than the standard 4 disc box sets that Fox usually put out on the market (U$ 50,00 against U$ 60,00 from the Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto and Will Rogers collections). So this is news and I hope people start to support sales instead of encouraging others not to buy the box sets (what is very upseting. If you don't want to buy, just don't. No need for advise others not to buy either). Fox is doing a great job in releasing more titles in 2007 than Warners (that I can't get without).
And even better is that Fox is still reducing the price for the Tyrone Power box set: U$ 50,00 for 5 titles. This put Fox titles in the same league as WB collections. And I'm sure this will increase sales significantly.
Can't wait for my Alice Faye box set to arrive! I really hope it sells well, so we can get more Fox musicals (specially Margie, Centennial Summer and Three Little Girls in Blue, 3 underated movies that cry for dvd releases).
And Serena, have seeing 3 of the 4 tiles included on the box set, I'm sure you won't regret buying the collection, It's pure entertainment.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Dvd Beaver did a great review for the Alice Faye box set:

According to the reviewer:
"Fox has really put together a special package here - obviously a lot of care went into this DVD collection production. Good transfers and audio and extensive supplements make this Fox's best DVD Boxset in a long while. A strong recommendation! I can't see anyone not enjoying this to some degree."

Great to know about that.
And the screens captures just made me more anxious to put my hands on the discs.
So far Fox is doing a great job with classic movie dvds in 2007. And, in my opinion, at this point, though very early to say it yet, is the best studio pf the year, in that subject. Yes, we'll get in the next months Michael Shayne, Shirley Temple, Hemingway, more war classics, 3 Literary classics, 3 marquee musicals, Tyrone Power...and hopefully, more noir, more Charlie Chan, more Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Tyrone Power and who knows, Sonja Henie, Loretta Young and Maureen O'Hara.
In second place comes Universal, with all those announcements (Universal cinema classics, westerns, WC Fields, Pirates of golden age).
And I don't understand why WB is so shy with its releases. Very glad with Literary Classics, Errol Flynn, Doris Day, James Cagney, but in May just the Hepburn collection?? WB used to put out 3 or 4 boxes for month...so, I have to put Warner on 3rd place, though I can't forget that because of Mr. Felteinstein (incredible job, always), the other studios began to look for their vaults.
Still, I'm waiting for Spencer Tracy, Jean Harlow, Ginger Rogers, more Crawford, Davis, musicals, Gable, Noirs, pre-codes...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I noticed the lower price for the ALICE FAYE COLLECTION immediately and consequently ordered. To be honest, I bought MR. MOTO 2 used because I felt it was overpriced, but I had no problem with the Faye collection price. I hope Fox will price its subsequent sets as fairly.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I love the supplements! In the prior press releases I read there was no mention of outatkes being included! This looks like the best DVD box set released in a long time for me.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I can't wait to get mine! :D FOX is currently my favorite studio for DVD releases too... don't forget those audio commentaries! I wish Warner was less "shy" too, RafaelPires - I buy just about every classic movie they release, but I'm eager to buy more, more, more! :)

I kinda wish FOX owned some of the MGM musicals that Warner seems uninterested in... considering that FOX is paying tribute to Alice Faye (not exactly well-known by the masses today)...it stands to reason they'd probably also "take a chance" on releasing boxsets for stars like Jane Powell, June Allyson, Jeanette MacDonald, etc, if they could. Ditto for Deanna Durbin, who Universal seems to have abandoned. :frowning:

If Warner ever releases their remaining, less famous films with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland...and if the DVDs get half the kind of stellar treatment FOX gave the "lesser" Astaire and Garland films they own (Daddy Long-Legs, Pigskin Parade - now there's a film I never expected would get a featurette or audio outtakes!), well I'll be just thrilled. :)

In essence I guess I'm crazy about FOX right now 'cause they seem to lavish such attention and care, restoration and loads of extras, on every film they release. Not just on special editions of super-popular titles, but pretty obscure movies too. I'm sure every lesser known film has fans who'd be grateful for this loving attention to detail... I really appreciate the way FOX has been treating their films (and thus, us, the customers) lately.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of Fox films period. They have always been my favorite studio.
they are starting an experiment to see if the consumer will be interested in hearing raw recording sessions of music from Fox films. Not just musicals but background scores too. The upcoming box of Tyrone Power includes the scores to Son of Fury, Captain from castille, and Prince of Foxes. Since Pigskin Parade, has raw sessions, I'm hoping it will include the unheard Garland number, Hold that Bulldog, cut from the film.
I jumped at the review in dVD beaver and it says the Faye box has great extras, thendoesn't really tell us what they are!! It says there are cut scens from some of th ilms, but doesn't tell us if they are cut musical numbers.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I hope they include some of the Herrmann scores when they finally release Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, Garden of Evil, Prince of Players, Hatful of Rain, King of the Khyber Rifles etc.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Joe, if you want to know the extras, go to dvdempire and see the back cover of the films, all the extras are listed there.
I know that the deleted scene from That Night in Rio is "Chica Chica Boom" number sung by Don Ameche and Alice Faye. I'm very curious to watch that.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Can hardly wait to get this collection. All 4 films are winners, my favorite of the 4 is actually Lillian Russell (40), to me Miss Faye was never lovelier than in this one, singing great old standards and making one forget some of the ponderous parts of the story. A film with immense charm.

Like you Serena, I am so thrilled that Fox lavishes so many efforts on their titles, providing many hard-to-find films along the way with extras galore to boot. It goes to show that if there can be an Alice Faye Collection, there is certainly as much interest for a Jane Powell or Eleanor Powell collection. :)

MoviesUnlimited said more Alice FAye films would be coming this year, so here's looking forward to Hello Frisco Hello (43), Rose of Washington Square (39), The Great American Broadcast (41) and the very delightful Sally, Irene and Mary (38)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks