What's new

Alice Faye Collectiom (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Wonderful news, just read on the Alice Faye Oficial site (www.AliceFaye.com ):

"ALICE FAYE DVD BOX SET COMING FROM FOX VIDEO.

Fox Video plans to release four more of Alice's films on DVD. They are "On the Avenue", "Lillian Russell", "That Night In Rio", and "The Gang's All Here"."

Wowwwwww this is NEWS. Though Gang's All Here and On the Avenue were expected , since already released on UK and Brazil, I never though Lillian Russell would make it on dvd. And what a pleasure to finally watch Carmen Miranda do her Chica Chica Boom Chic on dvd!!!

Yes, Fox finally got the idea that Alice deserves a box set of her own.

Strange tha Hello Frisco Hello was not included. Maybe it's scheduled for a possible Vol. 2. Let's wait!

Could'nt be happier.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Alice Faye, if her website is correct, finally gets her due. From 1935 to 1945, she was the musical star at 20th Century Fox. Although we have single titles like Alexander's Ragtime Band, In Old Chicago, Fallen Angel and Weekend in Havana, it's nice for her to get a recognition of her talent. Maybe Hello Frisco Hello will be in another Musical Marquee set or hopefully a Volume 2 of Alice Faye. Congratulations to Fox if AF collection comes out.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I'll be picking this up for sure! I have my Tivo set to record Alice Faye movies & there are never any playing.:frowning:

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Kudos to Fox. There were rumors they were curtailing their boxsets because the Betty Grable collection bombed, but apparently there diving deeper.

Corey

Screenwriter
betty grable bombed cause they didn't promote it. they need to use WB's promotion tactics. most of their sets are always in the top 100 on amazon.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Sounds good.

BTW: Can a mod please fix the typo in the title of this thread? Bothers me every time I scan the forum page. Yes, I have issues.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I'm delighted to see these being released. I hope it does well for Fox.

3 out of the 4 films are wise choices. LILLIAN RUSSELL was a well-intentioned, but is a dull, plodding film I guess every company has their reasons for what they choose to release, but Ms. Faye made so many very entertaining films, I think they could have made a better choice. Fortunately, the unique, inestimable qualities of THE GANG'S ALL HERE, the fun of THAT NIGHT IN RIO, and the great score, script & fun of ON THE AVENUE will make this a success.

Since Fox took such a bath on many of their classics this year, not just the disastrous GRABLE set, but the GABLE set tanked as well, as did many single releases, I was fearful they'd abandon their library releases completely. Nice that they're not giving up. Kudos.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Roger, I quite agree with you - Lillliam russell is a very dull film indeed.
Too bad the prices on these box sets are too high.
The Gable box only had only title I wanted - Soldier of Fortune. Finally a Fox Susan Hayward film I've been begging for, and it's only available as part of a box set that's way too expensive.

Also had a problem with Warners John Ford set. I am not a John Ford fan and only wanted Cheyennne Autumn, but it was ruled out of court because it wa only available in the box.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Roger, has your contact at Fox indicated whether their pricing structure is under review? Or do they feel these titles aren't going to sell anyway so the price them high to get some revenue in the door?

Steve

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If Alice was so concerned about her looks in 1945 to the point where she quit the business, why'd she return to do just State Fair in 1962? And after that, she only acted once in a blue moon. Did she take those post-1945 jobs when she was just bored?

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am really looking forward to this collection. I am disappointed o hear that Lillian Russell is considered a dull film, it is the only one I have not seen. In any case if any deleted musical numbers exist from any of the films, I hope they include them as well.

In regard to Alice Faye's departure from the screen after 1945, I read it was because Daryl Zanuck greatly disappointed her by editing her part in Fallen Angel, which she hoped to be her "Laura", just to build up Linda Darnell's role and career.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I asked because I just read a book called Hollywood Anecdotes that stated "Alice Faye, a vital performer, was nervous and insecure enough about her work that she quit appearing in films, insisting it took too much out of her." Maybe that was the official story, and what Richard says is closer to the truth. Anyway, it's a great shame. Her voice and looks were long gone by State Fair, but still it's a shame she didn't work through the great age of Technicolor musicals.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I guess Fox is committed to being overpriced. 3 films for $50 is just not going to sell. I got the Fox Gable set for $20 at Tower's going out of business sale when DVDs were $60% off. I don't think it was worth more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sooner or later, you will find this boxset at a pricepoint that's more reasonable. As a consumer, I wouldn't buy it, unless I'm such a Alice Faye fan that price isn't a major factor to me.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks