What's new

Alias Season 5 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
Okay gang, I may have been slightly underwhelmed by the last season of my favourite TV show, but I held on and sat through it all like some sort of proverbial lost puppy. I think that, ultimately, the last season suffered from some serious multiple personality disorder and really could not decide what it want to be or where it wanted to go.

Nevertheless, the CLIFFHANGER of season 4 was, arguably, the best since the end of season 2. So, without any more yapping from me, let's begin this official ALIAS SEASON 5 discussion thread.

Okay, so...thoughts or speculation about where it's going and how do you feel about the show starting in late SEPTEMBER? I for one don't think I could have waited till January '06.

Duane R

Second Unit
I read in the Denver Post today that Jennifer Garner said this would be her last season, irregardless of whether the show gets picked up for a sixth season. If that's true, I hope they do something great with the storylines this year--like the first two seasons did.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I thought it was weak. Oh, we get in a car crash. That has been done to death and was, to say the least, very unoriginal.
A year ago, Jennifer said she would be with the show if it lasted 8 seasons. What a difference a year makes.
I cant decide, with the 8:00 slot on Thursdays filled with too many choices and only two tivo selections, wether this will be the one to get the axe or The OC.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah last season wasn't too good. I am hoping they can change it up, and get some new blood into the show. Instead of having everyone die then come back in later episodes, they could actually leave people dead. Season 1 and 2 were so good because you didn't know where everyone stood. It also wasn't a bunch of crazy stories. Also I miss the outside life that people used to have. Anyway there are just so many things that they could do to bring the show back to it's former glory. I hope that they can get some new stuff in there.

Atleast there are some newer shows that I am liking a ton now, such as Veronica Mars. Which I am not really sure why but it does somewhat remind me of the first season of alias.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 was when I think the show lost some of the fun for me. Season 4 was a bit of a step up, but was nowhere near the greatness of the first two seasons. I thought she signed a contract for at least seven seasons? Oh well, I'd like to see it end at 5... it definitely is losing the luster.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Garner's pregnancy is surely the death knell for this show. I can't fathom how much such an action oriented show will suffer from dealing with a pregnancy. And bringing in Rachel Nichols to effecively be the "action" heroine just isn't going to cut it.

And even post pregnancy: if Sydney keeps the baby then that will surely put another crimp in the show. And the alternative (baby dies/kidnapped/given up for adoption) is too depressing.

Between all that and the Thursday at 8:00 timeslot, I think Alias is pretty much dead.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I still feel like there are several Rhambaldi storylines that need to be wrapped up. Final season or not I hope they spend a lot of time in season five tying up those loose ends.

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
Geez...I love Victor Garber to death - he's so badass - but a Garner-less Alias after S5...I just would lose interest altogether.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
We're in the land of speculation regarding how long Alias will run and how long Jennifer Garner will be a part of it.

That said, shows tend not to do well once the star leaves. I think part of it has to do with casting, and part has to do with the fact that the premise and writing are usually getting old by that point anyway. Nobody knew Jennifer Garner before Alias. I happen to think there are other "finds" out there who could also carry the show. However, the chances are not good that a new person could come in and click, and that the writing would also be good. Heck, folks have been having issues with the writing even with Ms. Garner. Then there's the fact that casting isn't a science. From what I've seen in the past when TV has tried to replace a star, they almost never get it right.

Anybody have any ideas for actresses that could carry the show? Should there be damage to Sydney and a new actress be brought in to play the same role, or should the Syd character leave and we get someone new like Nadia?

In the meantime, we get to enjoy S5 and hope it delivers. I'm not sure how J.J. Abrams is going to divide his attention between Alias and Lost, but here's hoping he can breath some life into Alias.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I'd rather see them use the rest of the cast more. Have some more Vaughan or (especially) Jack. Granted if they did that, it would be an entirely different show than it was at the beginning.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Maybe I'm way off base here but I get the impression that he wasn't heavily involved in Lost after it got onto the air. He didn't have any writing or directing credits on the show after the Pilot and it seems like Lindelhof is the main man for that show.

With Abrams off doing Mission Impossible 3 I think its a pretty safe bet he will have minimal influence on both Lost and Alias this season.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I personally enjoyed Season 4 a lot.

The one thing I can safely say about this show is that they seem unafraid to shake things up periodically.

When Garner is through I would imagine the show would be through. Whether or not she'll come back will most likely depend upon the ratings. It is up against "Survivor" on Thursdays (not an easy time slot).

I think including the pregnancy in the show will make this season fairly unique. It might ruin the show...I dunno...but I wouldn't assume that would be the case. To be honest, it is rare that offscreen pregnancies are included in a show. Most of the time they are "hidden" in a rather silly manner.

I actually applaud them for simply including it. Perhaps it will have Rambaldi ramifications. Sloane will probably find some sort of Rambaldi prophecy predicting Sidney will have "the chosen child" or something like that.

As far as adding characters to fill in "out in the field," I don't think it will be as drastic as everyone thinks.

I wasn't sure if the addition of Nadia would be a good idea last season, but I grew to like her character and didn't mind when the story focused on her more.

The show has had a good run. Unfortunately, it hasn't ever really burned up the ratings.

All of the principles on the show do a good job with the material given.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There's an interesting rumor around regarding the fate of a certain character.

Apparently, Vaughn may be killed off this season. According to IMDB, fans are campaigning to save him!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I read that it could be just a ploy to generate conversation before the season starts. I don't care either way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not that Vaughan's death couldn't happen, it just seems unlikely since Sydney is going to semi-sidelined for most of the first half of the year. I would think they will be using the existing cast members even more instead of killing them off.

Never say never though!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
I've read many places that everyone involved expects this to be the last season of Alias, because the show will not continue without JG. They have added some new younger cast members, so there is the off-chance that the new characters will be popular enough to continue the show or maybe spin-off into their own show, but I don't think anyone thinks Alias will continue another season with JG as the star.

Veronica Mars does remind me of the first season of Alias in a lot of ways also, and I enjoyed VM just as much, maybe even more than the first season of Alias.

I certainly found VM far more entertaining than Alias was last season. I will be sticking with Alias through the next season, but it's more out of loyalty than anything else. It was fantastic in the first two seasons but it's never been the same since the two-year fast forward with memory loss and married Vaughn, and VM has definitely replaced it as my favorite show.

Like Sydney, Veronica is very tough most of the time, but also can be vulnerable and emotional, especially where issues surrounding her mother are concerned. There is the central father/daughter relationship with the missing mom. Although she doesn't literally kick butt like Sydney, Veronica is very smart and brings down the bad guys with her intelligence and resourcefulness. And once in a while she even does the costume and accent thing too. In the episode when she goes undercover at the gaming place she reminded me a lot of young Sydney. But Veronica has a better sense of humor than Sydney and always has a ready quip.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Spoiler:
Apparently, Vaughn may be killed off this season. According to IMDB, fans are campaigning to save him

I've heard that rumor for a long time. I hope it's true.

I'm tired of his dry one facial expression performance.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Over at Ask Ausiello on TVguide.com the eponymous gossip-hound has been reporting for over a month that one of the leads on Alias will be leaving early in the season (besides Nadia or Eric, who have already checked out). Says his info comes straight from the Alias camp and he won't say who the departing cast member is.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I still stick by my thought of "once SD-6 went down in Season 2, the rest of the show has been pretty boring."

With that being said, I think that there is still a lot of great show left here, be it with Jennifer Garner or not. I think that the show could loose Jen and even Vaughan and it would still be fine, as long as Sloane and Jack stayed we'd probably be all set.

Remember there are two new cast members coming in this season, and the apparent intention is to see how they work and maybe have them take things over when Jen leaves.

I didn't watch much of last season, it was too sci-fi for my tastes (which is odd, I love sci-fi) but Alias is not supposed to be a sci-fi show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks