What's new

Alias Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, as a CostCo member I'm expecting to pay $30 for the set, so that would pass Paul's price requirement. :)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
$30 ? that's pretty good. I bought the first two seasons at costco and they were $34.99 each so i expect that to be the price for season 3 next week at my local costco.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually I think that was the price when it had the $10 rebate attached. So it'll be 39.99.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the first two seasons after being a loyal fan of the show. Season 3, despite it being the worst season, wasn't as bad as some other crap that's on TV these days.

The only question is, do I want to buy it to keep the collection from the first two seasons or shall I just cut my losses and say the show is a lost cause?

The same could be said for Smallville as well.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Oh people, you sure don't make this easy for those of us who became fans through the dvds. I too have been on the fence about this one. I absolutely loved the first two seasons and was so excited about season 3 coming out until I heard nothing but the worst about it. I think I have heard maybe a handful of lukewarm comments about the show, but like someone else mentioned on here, even those weren't enough to keep me excited about the release.

My plan for now is to rent the third season and then if I enjoy it as much as the other seasons I may purchase it later on.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
. And the suspension of disbelief required of me was just too much. I could no longer see the Wizard of Oz, just the guy behind the curtain fiddling with his levers.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Season 3 is aggravating but I'm going to recommend it. I think it'll play better on dvd. Some subplots are milked too long, but there are some real bright spots (David Cronenberg) Maybe they should have put out an abridged season 3! Like 12 episodes. I appreciate messing with the status quo of a show, otherwise you end up with the star treks, where the boat is never rocked, and consistency is maintained, but there's nobody left to care.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Amen! Good point Paul. I'll add that these sets have also remained effective when viewed again-even knowing the surprises of each episode. Sure, nothing beats the first time, but these S1 & S2 are high in quality with only a few episodes that were average.

I'm buying the set, despite lukewarm and some harsh views of S3. Just too big of a fan to miss out. And I've been wondering what happens to these people after seeing the finale of season 2 when Vaughn says, "you've been missing for 2 years"...

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Paul

Buy the set. Even though I hate the show right now I'm gonna keep watching it because I want to know what happened in the missing two years. Of course if it ends with Sloan being the one behind it, I'll slit my writs.

I agree the Ms.Triangle charcter is too much and seeing as how she's on the box it seems she's going to ge a HUGE part of Season 3. it looks like she's the Poochie of the Alias universe. No one wants her but the producers shove her down your throats.

Oh and I've never watched Alias for the action scenes. I watched it for the characters. I watched it to see the stoy develop and to see these people gorw. Well right after Phase One these charcters stopped growing. I want to see this show get it's feet back on the ground. And more importantly I invested 2 dvd sets into this story and i want to see it to the end!

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I can't wait for season three to arive. Although it wasn't as good as the previous seasons, it is still better than most of the crap on tv these days. ie: reality shows and sitcoms

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Tim, without giving too much away, season 3 is a season with minimal JJ Abrams input. ABC, in an attempt to have the show find a wider audience, applied much pressure on the creative team to simplify things (so a first-time viewer could "pick up and go.") As a result, JJ basically moved on (with the exception of re-tooling the ending of the season finale) and season 3 was "dumbed-down" considerably. The mythos episodes (Rambaldi device, etc.) were few and far between, and we were left with lots of Sydney, Loren, Vaughan and Sark running-around-chasing-each-other type shows. Horrible? No. But, certainly well below the excellence of the first two seasons...

The good news is that JJ is back in full force for season 4, once again assuming creative control. As mentioned, the fourth season will not begin until January and will air consecutively through May. ABC has also picked up two new Abrams projects, the promising-looking, "Lost," which debuts this month and a mid-season bounty hunter drama called, "The Catch," starring Alias's, Greg Gunberg.

The bad news? The Alias time slot this fall goes to new show, "Desperate Housewives." Like, "Lost," this series is generating lots of positive buzz and is considered to be one of the network's finest offerings. Good ratings for Desperate Housewives and low ratings for Alias may well be a big problem...

Gary

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Another good point Ray. Far more intriguing than any stunt sequence is the mystery of what has unraveled for Sydney. Her father, mother and that whole situation was terrific and had me caring. The situation with Will & Francy was also great.

Here's hoping that season 3 meets at least a few expectations. I hope to watch the whole thing next week!

Also, thanks for everyone for keeping major plot points to a minimum and for spoiler tags. That has been appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Let me just say that I am eagerly awaiting S3 to rent due to the HUGE cliff hanger at the end of season 2. Even with all the negativity about the 3rd season I still want to watch and know what is going on. I do love this show.

I almost didn't watch the last episode of season 2 so that I could watch it Sept 6th and then rush out to get S3 right away! lol.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I too find myself on the fence with this set. I loved season 1 and thought that season 2 started out great, but really really did a huge nose-dive into a pool of suckage in the second half.

Part of the problem is her relationship with Vaughn, the guy has zero charisma and should be limited to a role as a CIA desk-jockey. Also the show seemed to be wallowing in more personal melodrama than a spanish soap-opera.

Reading these posts I get the impression that Season 3 is like the second half of season two, only amplified x2.

I guess this will be a netflix rental rather than a purchase.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well, this morning I sat outisde Blockbuster at 9:50 am waiting for them to open and while I sat there I kept looking over my shoulder at Wal-Mart.

Yes, I broke down and bought ALIAS 3. I was so going to rent it, but honestly, I really want to own it.

So much for will power!

I just finished watching the first episode and all I have to say is.... I'm so glad I have the boxset.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I just got home from buying this for a solid $37 after rewards coupon at Best Buy and let me just say that the packaging is among the sexiest I've ever seen. It's similar to the Gilmore Girls book pages packaging but slimmer and sleeker. The blooper reel was excellent too. You'd be hard pressed to find many blooper reels that exceed two minutes and are wholly satisfying. This one goes on for 7 and is one of the funniest I've ever seen. This cast is wacky. You just gotta love Jennifer Garner's faces.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I agree about the packaging. I was very impressed with it. I like it alot better than the first two seasons.

$37 was a good buy. I paid $40 at Wal-Mart.

I asked the clerk at Blockbuster how many copies they got in and he replied with 1 and there were only two BB's that even got the series in. Apparently people are complaining about it to them. He still can't figure out why they only got 1 copy and why they were one of two stores to get it.

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator
Man...is it just me, or does this disc set have a horrible transfer? There is an enormous amount of visible grain in the image that is borderline distracting at times. I was not impressed with this at all. The digital sound is good, as are the extras, but the picture quality is inconsistent and sucks ass at lot of the time.

Anyone else notice this?

Josh_HI

Second Unit
I also agree about the packaging.I have never seen a dvd set that looks so awesome.Just seeing it on the shelf makes you want to own it because it looks so cool.When I bought mine at Best Buy I saw the sticker said $50.99 I was like wow ok that is not what it said in the paper.Luckily I kept the clipping.When I got to the counter it came out to $39.99.Which I am excited about because I love getting sets the first week when their on sale.Target has it for $45.99 which is what I paid for seasons 1 & 2. But I encourage everyone to go and buy it at Best Buy while it is on sale.For once Best Buy actually has the best buy.:D

AnywayI just watched episode one and I can't wait to watch more.I had decided I wasn't gunna watch the season again right now but you just have to when it is in your hands.Such an awesome set!A+++++

Oh and I love that it had a preview for Felicity which I will be buying in 2 weeks.It also has a preview for Season 4 in the menu but there are no spoilers.:emoji_thumbsup:

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I won't knock the S3 premiere - it stayed on my Tivo for many weeks after it premiered, mainly for the classic SpyDaddy line "Michael Vaugh is just a boy who was never good enough for you" and for that entire scene
for Marshall's pen, and for the last Syd/Vaughn scene and the hug
. If I end up at Costco this weekend, and see the set, that episode would be the main temptation to buying the set. It was only later on in the season that the "Where the hell is my Alias?!" feeling set in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks