What's new

Alias Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let everyone know the first disc of Alias Season 3, doesn't have a mega spoiler trailer before the menu this time. Looks like they learnt their lesson with season 2

I haven't looked at the other disc's yet though..

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Alias is the only other show besides 24 that I only watch on DVD. It's easier that way So far I've watched disc 1 of Alias season 3 and have serious problems with the new premise. I really loved the first season but Season 2's Phase One was the biggest jump the shark moment I've ever seen. So far the show has become a mockery of it's former self. I hope it gets better.

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't. This season is absolutely TERRIBLE. I just started watching it and I am shocked at how bad it is. Every single episode is boring, unsuspensful and filled with absolutely rediculous and implausible situations. It also centers around a love triangle instead of the far more important events that are taking place.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Pickin' mine up at CostCo on Tuesday. But then I also own movies like "Six Days and Seven Nights" and "Soldier" :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Haven't seen any of Alias 3 yet. Was waiting for the dvd to hit Tuesday so hopefully I won't be disappointed as some here have been. I absolutely LOVED seasons 1 & 2. I did read where Alias season 3 ratings really dropped so this season looks like it went south with viewers.

Guess I'll decide for myself but doesn't look promising.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Heh. Having suffered through season 3 when it was broadcast, I'm in complete agreement with the assessments of the suckage. Don't say we didn't warn you, cuz, as bad as you think it is at disc 1? It will get much, much worse.

The only thing that made the season bearable, for me, was reading Regina's recaps over at TelevisionWithoutPity. Those of you who own the dvd set can get a taste of her humor on the fan-commentary for the season premiere, and I highly recommend the recaps to get the uncensored snark.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tread as lightly as you can without giving away too much but what the heck happened then to season 3?!!! Did they get different writers?

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
My first problem is in episode 1. Someone is in solitary confinment for a year, comes out and then 2 days later is back to work! How can someone sit in solitary confinment for one year and go back to work on Monday? Even Batman would take some time off.

What special skills does Michale Vaughn have? In Season 1 he was fine because he just sat in a warehouse and looked worried for Sydney which was all he could do but in season 2 they go on missons together but why were they sending him and not Dixon? He dosen't DO ANYTHING! Xander on Buffy has more special skills than this putz. Wil Tippin...that's a guy that actully does stuff!

Finally is there a worse charcter on TV than Marshall? he's supposedly the comic relif but no one laughs at him. No one! They hardly crack a smile. Marshall can be talknig about painting his balls blue and the crew still sits there with a stone face. See that's wwhy Buffy has stood the test of time when a charcter does something wacky they respond! If the charcters aren't going to react to Marshall then would someone just kill him?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have a feeling that Alias S3 will play better on DVD than it did on TV (similar to Buffy S6), but I won't kid you... It isn't S1 or S2, but it's still Alias. The season had some great moments, introduced some very interesting plot developments, revealed quite a big secret about one of the supporting characters not of the blonde persuasion and wrapped up a few loose ends.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I think marshall is very funny from an audience point of view and i think thats the point. The people around Q in james bond did not find him funny either.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Aryn-
well in the 2nd half of Season 2 I would've gladly sent out Dixon instead of Vaughn. I kept waiting for Vaughn to one day bust out some karate moves or knowledge of SOMETHING. But he does nothing. Everything he does Sydney can do 10 times better. Most Bond girls serve more of a purpose than Vaughn.

Oh and a final tidbit. Alias is the only show where charcters fly half-way around the world just to tell each other they don't trust each other and then fly back.Apparently no one is intrested in a phone on the show.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I've read a few places that the reason season 3 wasn't as good as the previous season's was because the studio took a lot of the creative control off the creator J J Abrams. They wanted more gun play and sexy outfits etc, a lot of the fans got upset so J J Abrams is back in control for the 4th season.
It doesn't look good for 5th season though because next year J J Abrams is directing Mission Impossible 3, Alias is obviously a good starting point to do a film like that but will mean less time for Alias.

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
This season is so implausible that it is hard to watch without yelling at the screen every 30 seconds.

Every character is insanely incompetent at their job. They may have high tech gadgets and martial arts skills but they lack even the most basic rational thought process. And instead of worrying about the life and death issues at hand, she is jealous of Vaugn's marriage and other insignificant highschool crap.

Even more boring than the plot are the action sequences. Every scene starts out with Sydney sporting some extremely conspicuous outfit/bikini as she tries to infiltate whatever embassy/lab/compound/army base. Once she has alluded the guards, there is some sort of predicament she must overcome. This part is always a rehashing of some old spy movie from the 50's. Will she get the safe open in time? or will her nefarious advesary discover her before she can escape out the window?

Tune in next week....

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I didn't realise he had signed on for MI:3, but considering the amount of directors this project has passed through I won't be surprised if he doesn't end up directing it.

I watched the first 2 episodes of the third season on TV then missed a couple and realised how much more fun I have watching it on DVD and skipped the rest. It was entertaining enough and the realism didn't seemed to stretched compared to the earlier seasons. Mine is in the mail and should be here next week sometime.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
The worst stretch in reality was the episode where Slaone got that gun that turned people to dust and he kills half a church and then Sydney gets the gun and it never is brought up again. He was turning people to dust. My problem with the show is that they want it two ways they want SOME Sci-Fi elements but then they also want to keep it real. At some point you've got to go all the way with one direction. If it's gonna be grounded in reality and be all About relationships...fine. But if you want to go sci-fi go all the way and have fun with it.

SPOILER!

Finally another problem I had was in the 3rd Season premire. Alias suffers from a problem that many shows and movies suffer from. The reasoning that only the hero's happiness matters and no matter what action he or she takes or whatever happens to the other charcters as lnog as she's happy, it's all good. Sydney's speech to Vaughn at the end of the episode where she basiclly acted like Vaughn was a vile person for remarrying after beliving she was dead and not waitingturned me completly off the charcter. How long were they really together? 6 months? And how long was she gone? 2 years? Vaughn had every right to re-marry and Sydney became a total bitch in 3 seconds flat. And Vaughn was in the same situation Sydney was in way back in season 1 (dead fiancce) and it only took Sydney a year and a half to get another boyfriend. The worst thing is that the show films it like they agree with Sydney! And watching future episodes it seems like even Vaugh feels guilty as he has dreams where Sydney stabs him for betraying her. The show would've gained a illon more points with me if they just admitted that Sydney is being a psycho bitch.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
the show could be gone at the end of this season..i think they're giving it one last shot with no reruns

the old management that was in love with the show and wouldn't cancel it no matter what is gone

but i agree..season 3 sucked and could be known as the season this show went downhill

i don't know what you guys think but i think the whole using dvds to attract viewers is unbelievably overrated and overhyped..it has not worked for any show..i know about firefly and family guy but those shows were already canned..i'm talking about shows currently on the air

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, i became a fan of the show due to the dvds.
if they hadn't been released yet, i would still be giving it a pass.
but then again, i don't follow any weekly tv now, and haven't for years.
after finishing off S2, to say i was looking forward to S3 was an understatment.
S1 & S2 made amazingly compulsive viewing, and i polished those off faster than i have anything else of that nature (save for Buffy S6- which i also hadn't seen prior to the dvd set).

i've gone back and forth on this set.
first i was planning to wait until DDD had another sale in Nov,
then i decided to find the best street price next week, and if it was under $40 get it now.
now, with all the negative comments, i dunno.

i was torn the same way with the last Buffy, which also had a great deal of negative buzz from fans, but also had some enthusiastic supporters voicing contrary opinons- and thats what swayed me into giving it a shot (and i'm glad i did as its one of my favorite seasons now).
i don't seem to hear that with Alias and S3.
it seems that even the people that don't outright hate this season are still only mildly lukewarm about it.

and when the creator actually gets up and remarks in front of audiences that the 'show lost its way' that gives me serious pause about the neccessity of dropping $40, and spending 18+ hours of my life watching it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I keep hearing people say season 3 sucked. While i would certainly agree season 3 is the weakest of the three seasons it didn't come close to sucking. Sure gone were a few elements of the previous two seasons. Mainly life at home and her mother but the show certainly was still very entertaining. What some of you can't appreciate the love triangle bit ?

So it didn't have as much action as the previous two seasons god forbid. The point people are making that things were too unbelievable as to why it sucked. Did you even watch the first two years ? like the face switching bit was believable? and the list goes on... The show was never made to be very believable. It was just good spy escapism fun and Season 3 while not as good is still better than most of whats on tv.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

and then someone comes along and post something like thant and i'm back on the fence bobbing to and fro :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks