What's new

Alias possibly coming to DVD in September '03!!! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
I'm singling out Americans, because as I stated, the R2 Stargate SG-1 discs use this feature, and (as far as I know) Nobody has complained at all.
Why should Americans be any different?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I know of at least one German TV station that severely reduced the airing of bilingual movies (i.e. dub on channel 1, original language on channel 2) because people couldn't figure out how to select the German version when they recorded the films on video.
Which is a shame. Most TV stations in Germany are showing movies and shows in OAR nowadays but they are still not able to offer original language tracks which ruins everything. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
James, you never worked retail did you.....

I'm saying from experience that people are absolutely stupid, and can't even follow simple instructions. You hang a sign with 18 inch letters over the register that says "14 DAYS FOR RETURNS" and they're arguing with you 6 months later that you need to take back their CD that's covered in Soda and crumbs and scratched to hell from being under carseat just because they have a receipt. NORMAL people see "14 days" and go "crap, too late".

We've had people post on the HTF about their parents that thought the Sopranos only had 3 episodes a season because they didn't understand the use of menus, do you really think people like that are going to be able to navigate settings menus without "press DOWN(point to key on remote illustration, have it BLINK) 4 times. Press ENTER (point to key on remote illustration, have it BLINK), Press LEFT (point to key on remote illustration, have it BLINK), etc etc etc

95% of people are STUPID be they white, black, pink, purple, American,Canadian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Martian

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I've worked a bit in retail and yes most people that come to the service/repair desk seem incredably stupid. But it's not like every person who buys a DVD comes back to complain. You're getting a small percentage of people who usually are never satisfied unless they're made to feel important. If that's all you see every day then you're gonna think that's how everyone is. From the millions of dvd players that are sold in best buy how many return theirs because they can figure out the menu button? 1%? 0.5%?

The pan&scan on the fly option is one of the reasons DVD sounded so great. Just make the default playback for the dvd player P&S and let the people who actually want to see the widescreen select a choice from a menu. Since we usually associate widescreen with smarter people.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've worked a bit in retail and yes most people that come to the service/repair desk seem incredably stupid.
I like to think that most of the people who make stupid requests to retailers are just playing a part - pretending to be stupid in the hope that if they come across thick-headed enough they can get an amazing deal. They're method actors. As they walk across the parking lot and enter the retailer, they're imagining the most idiotic person they can imagine, and they become the part, figuring "if a stupid person can get their way, then surely I can too." But in fact, there is no actual stupid person, they are just a fantasy.
I HOPE this is what accounts for it.

James Reader

Screenwriter
None of this alters the fact that Europe has "Pan and Scan on the fly discs" (Stargate SG-1) and seems to be doing alright. No complaints at all from what I can find.
I don't understand why people on this forum seem to be against the best solution, which would suit most of the people just because of perceived problems with the average consumer.
Firstly, if people can't even follow a simple set-up menu procedure (as Jeff implies) how the hell can these people function in modern life, where virtually everything from Computers to ticket machines use menu-like interfaces?
Secondly, if people can follow the set-up menu procedure, that's an issue for the manufacturer, not the retailer or the distributor.
I am seriously worried by some of the statements appearing on this thread. Do people really want to ignore existing technology just because a certain small percent of the population won't understand it? How are we supposed to move forward if we do?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Not a very imaginitive cover. It's the same photo they used for the Alias: Declassified book cover. I would have liked to have seen Syd as Amy Tippin on the cover, but I'll take anything as long as it leads to the Alias set being in my little hands. :)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
This just posted by Rypro525 on the DVD Forums...
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=176403
"Thank you for your e-mail regarding ALIAS.
We appreciate your interest in our DVD release of the first season of ALIAS. The tentative release date is September 2, 2003 and it will be released in it's original Widescreen aspect ratio.
ALIAS may be ordered directly from us by calling 800 477-2811 if you live in the US.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any other questions concerning our videos and DVD's, or if you would like to purchase one of our movies.
You may contact us by e-mail or by calling 800 723-4763 or our Canadian toll-free number 888 877-BVHE.
Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations
US and Canada
"
If anyone can verify this news, that'd be fantastic!
David

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Please let that be true. I'll pick up that set in a heartbeat if it's confirmed to be in WS. And I'll take back 80% of the bad things I've said about Buena Vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks