What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection: 9/7! (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I don't think that the double-dip is a big thing as NBNW was a reasonably priced DVD (certainly when compared to lessor offerings from Universal). However, this averaging info is poor logic. Purchasing a disc in a box set that you already have is still double-dipping and paying for something you don't need. To your logic about the box set being lower than paying for the film individually .... sophistry. If the NBNW disc was not in the box set the MSRP would even be lower - reducing the cost to the many Hitch fans that already have the disc.

Now, if they were to have changed the existing NBNW disc, adding value - that would be something else. For example, that disc was an early digital effort where the Lowry group (that worked on it) even admits that they overdid the cleanup - losing film grain. This isn't a critism, just a fact. As they learned, they got better. Yet, WB rather than revisit and improve the disc for the box set take a pass. So, those of us that are big fans of the film (and let's face it, this is WB's biggest Hitch title) will be seeing another version of this DVD, down the road, regardless of HD-DVD or the like.

Overall, I guess I'm not as excited about this as others. Sure, I'm glad to get Dial M. But what about that knock-down drag-out discussion with the 3D proponents of the film a few months back? Why aren't we hearing their concerns about getting both versions of the film? Why isn't that DVD release like the proposed Strangers on the Train?

For those excited about Stranger on a Train getting the "WB two-disc treatment" we will have to wait and see. Seems likely that the only reason that this is getting a two disc set is that the current released version of the DVD has two version of the film on it. I don't see any evidence that we're talking a Casablanca quality two-disc set here. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Of course, if I'm wrong and they wanted to make this DVD a truly special release, then I guess we will be getting the same treatment for NBNW at some point.
;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Lowry admitted to going a little far on Citizen Kane, but not North By Northwest. To be honest, I think NxNW has a more natural film look to it compared to Kane. This makes sense since NxNW supposedy was digitally restored from a fresh interpositive made from the original negative. Citizen Kane was probably from a vintage nitrate interpositive or duplicate negative. I think color fading, dirt, and the occasional tear were the main problems on NxNW. There's no telling what was on the Kane elements... I think there was nitrate decomposition, since that was referred to in the Apple article.

Also, DavisDVD.com mentions that Strangers on a train will have a commentary and a new making-of documentary for extras. These should be at least equals of Universal's and Criterion's Hitchcock DVD's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I was waiting for such a response. Whatever floats your boat, I'm still happy about the boxset and reasonable pricing of it, therefore, I'm not complaining about Warner's decision to release this set with NBNW. By the way, the inclusion of NBNW doesn't necessarily mean the boxset would've cost less, maybe the MSRP was always $99.92 for the boxset and Warner decided to give us a free bonus dvd by including the previously released NBNW? Who knows, except Warner.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

From the New York Times:

Cleaning a film, though, poses its own problems. Mr. Lowry's otherwise wondrous DVD of "Citizen Kane" (for which no negative exists; it was destroyed in a fire decades ago) has been criticized for being too clean, for wiping away the natural film grain along with the scratches, for looking more like video than film. "I'd agree with that," Mr. Lowry says. "We were just getting our feet wet in the business when we did `Kane.' It was our third or fourth film. We've done 70 films now. Even that's not enough to raise the bar for the entire industry. You have to remember, this is still a very new art." source: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/09/mo...KsiIawuGUTu/3Q

Hopefully you would agree that Mr. Lowry statement is more general than Citizen Kane but reflects on Kane and Lowry's earlier efforts. NBNW was released a full year earlier than Citizen Kane.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
NxNW may have been done before Kane, but that doesn't mean it's not better. If you're still getting your feet wet, and you try certain things, some things you try will be improvements and some steps backwards. It's quite reasonable to think that grain was dealt with appropriately in NxNW, and that for whatever reason they were trying something different on Kane that dealt with grain less appropriately.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I was surprised at this response. Hopefully one of the goals of this forum is to inform and share information with DVD consumers. To that end, marketing-speak of "free bonus dvd" when there is nothing free about it only clouds this information.

If Warner wants to compensate past purchasers of NBNW they could simply insert a rebate slip into the boxset. Isn't that the sort of straight-forward approach that this forum should be championing?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's hard to imagine Warner worrying about that. Simple calculations: 7 new films at $20 srp each = $140; 1 improved re-release (Strangers) at $27; 1 current release (NbNW) at $20; added up, the box set contains $187 worth of DVDs. The srp of the box set is $100, so the 7 all-new DVDs come out to $14.28 each (and that assumes you place zero value on the Strangers and NbNW). Including Strangers in the value, makes each new title only $12.50.

You are certainly free to pay $20 each for the new titles individually (probably dicounted to $15), or buy the *better* bargain of the box set and get them for $12.50 each (and the box set will probably be discounted down to $80, so they are now costing you less that $10 each).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
On the first page of this thread somebody mentioned that the re-release of NxNW comes with a CD of the Bernard Herrmanns's score. If this is true, there is another added bonus. I'll easily be able to sell my current version on Ebay for the $10 that I'll be paying for the new disc and get the score for free. I don't see much to complain about here.

I'm also more than happy to pay for a restored & expanded "Strangers on a Train" as it's one of my top 5 Hitch movies.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I don't think NXNW is coming with a CD soundtrack. The current DVD release--which appears to be what's going into this new Signature Collection--has an isolated score track on the DVD, but not a separate CD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Keep in mind that Universal's two 8-disc Hitchcock sets have an SRP of $176 (approx) and are selling for around $100 at most places. Warner's releasing a set of 9 films for an SRP of the "bargain" price of Universal's sets. While Universal's discs were very well produced, it's still a huge price.

Getting 9 films, all but 1 with newly produced documentaries, two having a commentaries, and all but one newly remastered. For $80-90 (the likely price online), you get this package... what is there to complain about?

Even if Warner's set cost $120 at sale price, it would still be a bargain.

(BTW, North By Northwest isn't going to have a CD, but you really ought to seek the Rhino CD of the soundtrack. The CD has the complete, unedited score, plus deleted music cues and background "elevator" music from the Plaza and train scenes. Probably my favorite film score album)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I read that the DVD has a score-only audio track, which is already included in your current DVD.

As for Strangers on a Train, if the film has been newly restored, it is something that I don't remember reading. That would be welcomed news.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Strangers on the Train is indeed newly restored. I read it was being restored and this is the result. I'm sure someone will come up with a relevant link about the restoration. But we can safely assume all the films will look great given WB's recent classic releases.

And speaking of Universal, is it possible to buy the four Alfred Hitchcock Presents volumes separately somewhere, except eBay? It's very weird the way Universal's boxsets are collected as some titles repeat within them. Very thoughtless.

GregK

Screenwriter

For many of of us, it's simply a done deal. WB had stated in previous chats (a) Dial M would be released flat, meaning in this case, in 2-D. (b) WB claims they are not satisfied with current 3-D video technologies.

When WB released their 3-D classic House of Wax in 2-D only, it was clear we would not see Dial M with a 3-D option either. Many of us voiced our opinions anyway, per the previous thread.

I've seen the 3-D VHD video disc of Dial M, released in Japan some 15 years ago (!) using the field-sequential 3-D video format. And that 15 year old disc looks better 3-D wise than the current anaglyph Spy Kids and Shrek 3-D ever can.. Well, at least in red and blue. ;) The Shrek DVD had enough room where a field-sequential 3-D version could have also been included, but "oh well".

As you can tell, I disagree with WB's assessment of 3-D video and with the DVD format, as I believe we should at least be given a choice. But WB is not on-board with that type of thinking.

As to not end on a sour note (for some), I am curious if WB will include the original intermission card used for the original 3-D engagements. WB included the original intermission on the last 2-D Dial M laserdisc. And recently, the repressed WB DVD of Kiss Me Kate DVD also included the original intermission in the special features section.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Greg is right. It has been obvious that Warner isn't going to try a 3-D release of DIAL M at the current time.

In the meantime, I'll just watch the 3-D version via the old VHD videodisc I've had for years. I'm also glad I've been able to see the original polarized 3-D version on the big screen a couple of times.

DIAL M plays better flat than many 3-D movies do, so the flat only DVD is still of interest to me, especially if there are some cool special features.

Warner may not be interested in doing home 3-D versions for their stereoscopic feature films, but they are apparently going to do a 2-D/3-D anaglyph release of IMAX's SPACE STATION in coming months.

I'm just glad to see Warner putting many of these long awaited Hitchcock titles on DVD for the first time.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'd gladly pay $120 for this. I'll probably end up paying about $75. This is sweet.
"Dial M for Murder" is one I've wanted for a while. I like "The Wrong Man" a lot. Many of the others I haven't seen. (Maybe I've seen "Suspicion")
Never planned on buying NBNW but this makes it worth it. And I LOVE "Strangers on a Train."
Good stuff on the way.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
My hope is that we get keepcases, like
with did with the Cary Grant collection.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Artwork is now up at DVD Times. The packaging would appear to be Keepcases ::collective cheer::

Not a stinker in the bunch to these eyes.

Just to proffer a dissenting opinion: I've always felt that Dial M for Murder is fairly mediocre by Hitchcock's standards. In addition, Stage Fright and I Confess are two of the master's weakest films. Mr. & Mrs. Smith is only fair, despite the wonderful Carole Lombard. Since I already own North By Northwest and Strangers on a Train, I'm leaning towards passing on the box, and concentrating on the cream of this crop (IMHO): Foreign Correspondent, The Wrong Man, and Suspicion.

In a similar vein, I wish At the Circus, Out West, Room Service, and The Big Store weren't cluttering up my shelves from WB's Marx Brothers Box. Still, it's hard to pass up a value, even if the films have little replay value. Maybe I'll stick to my guns this time & resist the marketing ploy (or maybe I'll cave). Sometimes less is more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks