What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Coming To Dvd In 2005...i Hope!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
We'll get more seasons for certain, but take some time to enjoy this one first! ;)

You got a good deal at Costco. Not being a member, I went to my usual stomping ground (Best Buy) and paid their usual discounted price for Universal TV disc sets: $33 plus tax or $36 total.

The early years of the series are sometimes hard to get into. That's partly because I've seen these all before years ago, but more importantly the era they're from works against it somewhat. They have a cheap, staged feel even with the occasional exterior filming. The music is bland and the Hitchcock shows too often presented stories that take place in the 19th centuty (the only ones I like in that genre are westerns, of which there were few on AHP). When even compared to far superior later seasons in the 1960s (particularly The Alfred Hitchcock Hour), these half-hour "playlets" (as Hitchcock himself called them) seem rather quaint. Even though the points were made as to how someone was killed or physically harmed, I never liked how most of the violence was kept offscreen. Or in the case of the pilot when Ralph Meeker beats a man to death with a wrench...we see it in shadows. Definitely not the way to tell a story! Hitchcock himself directed a famous episode a few years later "Lamb to the Slaughter" and did a slightly better job with that, although you don't really see Barbara Bel Geddes hitting her husband with a frozen leg of lamb. Just her face as she's doing it!

But there were still some entertaining tales that were different than anything else on TV during that era. The kind of stories that stand out and kept viewers coming back. With all the awards this show has won and the involvement of a great film director, plus his often funny dialog by James Allardice, Alfred Hitchcock Presents is still worth watching and collecting! :emoji_thumbsup:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Got through the first side of disc 1 last night and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I especially enjoyed the Hitchcock/Joseph Cotten episode. Excellent. Can't wait to get in more of these little gems. Many episodes I have never seen.

I also have not had a problem playing this first disc.

Ken Martinez

Auditioning
I watched the first disc and had a problem with the Joseph Cotton episode Breakdown. The frame would freeze several times.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Like Ric, I had it in my hands, but put it back. So if I decide to take a chance on this set, have a problem and I'm unable to exchange it where I bought it (past the 30 days, no more sets, whatever), how good is Universal with replacing discs? If they have a decent return policy (like Disney), I'd consider taking the risk. If they don't exchange discs or make it a pain, I'll probably pass.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
No mid-episode musical interludes? Oh, I'm stricken!

Is it asking too much that these had been included with the episodes? It won't be the same watching this show without them.

Anyway my set arrived today and I'll look it over during the weekend. I hope that I don't have similar technical problems that are (apparently) being encountered by others!

I was going to provide a weblink to the DVD TALK scathing commentary on the shoddy quality of the Universal Studios Home Entertainment tv series DVD releases myself.

The public out there should be warned at all costs!

Jeff T.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Damn! Universal went and did the one and only thing that would keep me from buying this set. We begged them for months to leave those bumpers intact and they essentially just flipped us off in return.

I've had it up to here with Universal's chronic editing of TV shows. They've proven time and time again that they cannot do a TV show release properly and, frankly, I'm fed up with waiting for them to pull their heads out of their asses.

Congrats, Universal! You just joined 20th Century Fox on my shit list and won't be getting another cent of my money. Fox didn't want my money and has saved me more than $800 in just the last two years. I'm betting Universal's stupidity saves me even more.

Tom.W

Second Unit

Especially since even syndicated and PBS aired episodes of AHP during the eighties included these interludes.

I'm happy that these are complete, but it sounds like not much else was done in the way of restoration. Hopefully, Universal will release later seasons and improve the product.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The musical interludes between the 1st and 2nd act of each show was not really a loss. As you may know, all that is was Hitchcock's own sketch outline of his head that we see at the beginning of every half hour episode and also the 8th season (the first of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour). That brief bit of music heard during that interlude / station ID is the exact same music heard at the start of every Act 1 from the first 6 years.

Instead they seamlessly fade out of the old scene and into the new one, which is also characteristic of several scene changes throughout each episode anyway.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I have had ZERO problems with my discs in 2 players and 2 PC's. I have run through all the discs and tried to recreate the problem in the DVDTalk review, but all mine have played flawlessly. Can't wait to work through this set! :D

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
This is exactly why I'm so fed up with Universal. I'm sick to death of them trying to make TV shows play like movies. TV shows are supposed to have occasional pauses. That pause adds to the tension when something exciting happens just before it. The background music just before the pause is keyed to enhance this very effect. Yet Universal insists on hacking most of them out. Every other studio on the planet (including Fox) can get this right. Why can't Universal?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Just out of curiosity, what shows has Universal released edited? I'm sure many fans of Alf, The Cosby Show and Roseanne would like those shows to only be missing the bumpers as opposed to having the edited versions of every episode on the DVDs.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I share James' (justified) disappointment but as it stands the only real factor that should deter anyone from purchasing this DVD set is the genuine concern that it just won't play properly (as has been reported).

If you want my opinion the only two major companies that (probably) read this discussion forum are Warner Brothers Home Entertainment and 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment as evinced by the fact that actual representatives have participated in some of the discussions and online question-and-answers session conducted with the public.

I don't think that either Universal Studios Home Entertainment or Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment really care about public opinion and have both adopted an insulated, isolationist policy pertaining to the management and decision making on their DVD releases.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I had the occasion to view the first 4 episodes of the ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS - SEASON ONE 3-disc set and it played just fine...thus far that is!

The episodes (while perhaps not fully restored) were in (much) better condition than I would have given them credit with the debut segment "Revenge" (02/10/1955) probably being the clearest although the differences between the ones that I watched (if any) were neglible.

It seems that Universal Studios Home Entertainment just took good care of the source elements used after all these years.

Yes, regrettably the mid-episode musical interlude bumpers were missing (along with the Revue (TV) Productions company logo and accompanying fanfare following the closing credits titles. In the case of "Revenge" it was blacked out entirely while the music could still be clearly heard...something I thought would be implemented with all of the episodes which (certainly) would have been preferable to having nothing at all.

Pertaining to the first season (1955-56) episodes themselves (not surprisingly) they were uniformly entertaining and delightfully witty (the late Robert Emhardt gave an especially marvellous performance as the grimly suspicious and doggedly persistant investigating insurance agent in "Don't Come Back Alive") and I can't wait to have the opportunity to view some more segments.

As it now stands (unless any unforeseen problems should arise) I can honestly recommend this particular DVD collection to those who have an interest in this (bona fide) classic tv series.

Jeff T.

Jeff#

Screenwriter

What do you mean, Jeff? The Revue TV logo is in the end credits of every one that I've seen so far. That's how they were made up until 1960 when there was an animated Revue Studios montage after (and separate from) the end theme. I hope when Universal gets to the 6th and 7th seasons, that they keep that in but I kind of doubt it.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I take back everything that I've said in my previous message post!

I tried watching some more episodes in the Alfred Hitchcock Presents - First Season 3-disc set and sure enough problems did arise. Now I have to go through the added expense of exchanging this defective product for yet another...which may be in no better condition.

That's it! I'm definitely not buying anything that's so compact on a mere 3 discs from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. These people just can't handle it properly and evidently don't care enough to exercise stringent quality control procedures.

What a disappointment (and pain) this has proven to be!

Pertaining to the Revue Studios Productions tag logo (with musical accompaniment) originally appended to the closing titles it's difficult to (coherently) describe unless you're actually familiar with them but they are definitely missing!

Jeff T.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
How disappointing - I was so looking forward to buying this set. After reading about the production problems both here and on Amazon I will sadly have to steer clear.

Universal, please fix this and don't give "Leave it to Beaver" this kind of shoddy treatment!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Leave It To Beaver is from Universal and it's on a DVD-18. There's gonna be problems. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'm not trying to be a jerk but every Universal DVD-18 has some type of problem.

Just to play devil's advocate, my AHP set plays fine. If I had gotten one that was defective, I would have returned it until I got a functioning one since I want the set. To me, not buying the set because there's some problems seems to deprive you of something you want when there's a chance that the set you purchase could be fine.

I'm not saying Universal's (obscene) number of poorly manufactued discs is right but I can't see why anyone is surprised by it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter

Once again, that wasn't until 1960 (when the series moved to NBC) that the animated "piece of film" Revue Studios logo you're describing was introduced. The same applies for all Revue series productions at the time. In the previous decade it was a stationary logo ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS "Filmed in Hollywood by Revue Studios" and "In Association with MCA TV" or words to that effect, which both appeared on the same screen before the Hitchcock sketched drawing returned.

I watched several more episodes today, and I've noticed that starting on Disc 2, whoever did the transfers screwed up by clearly editing down SOME of Hitchcock's monologs! It was more obvious in some than others.

The worst (or best) example of this is in "The Derelicts" guest starring Robert Newton. In Al's closing remarks, it abruptly cuts off before he can say goodnight -- and fades into the end theme. Why the hell are they doing this? Are the people in charge of the transfers for Universal falling asleep at the buttons??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks