1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Andrew Budgell, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

2. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Well-Known Member

Paul Hillenbrand
    The above review made me want to take a chance on the better picture quality, plus the $10.99 price and 2-day free sipping, by using Amazon prime was another factor, plus I had enough Rewards points to cover the full cost .:cool: Paul

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Highly recommended, even if you're double (or triple) dipping.

It's like they're talking right to me!

Same here, starting with the Roan Group laser disc.

4. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg
    Hmmm, I wonder how good the "Santa Claus" disc will look next week? Might pick it up if the reviews are good. Saw the film in a theater when I was 4 and it scared the S#$%@ out of me - hey when you're 4 - if you're gonna believe in Santa you're gonna believe in Satan

This was one truly strange and bad film - but for the the nostalgia factor

5. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

I've never seen that one but I have it on pre-order. Is it supposed to be a "so bad that it's good" type of film?

6. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

You have to really love bad movies to enjoy it. For me, it's just painful but I understand why people get a kick out of it.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    I have to say that the brief, tantalising, clips of The Black Tent included in the excellent Brian Desmond-Hurst documentary looks to assure us of a quite fabulous hi-def VistaVision transfer coming from VCI next year...

8. marsnkc

marsnkc Well-Known Member

Andrew
    Oh, great! I took delivery of the current Black Tent just last week.........:rolleyes: I thought the days of starting out a film in widescreen (to cover the credits) and then devolving to pan and scan were long over, but that's what VCI did with their relatively recent 'Sea of Sand'. It's a terrific looking DVD, and the pan and scan is practically unnoticeable, leading me to think (hope) that it was actually filmed in 1:37 and matted for its 'official' widescreen ratio. Wouldn't want to miss a single mm. of the can't-go-wrong Attenborough.

9. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    The UK DVD is exactly the same (and if memory serves, recent TV broadcasts); like most everything else in their Rank library, VCI take what they are given by ITV Global. There's no doubt that by 1958, even in the UK, it would have been framed principally for widescreen projection.