What's new

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release) (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Looks like I'll be upgrading my terrible "Emerald Edition" dvd. At last I'll be able to own a watchable copy of this excellent movie.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I too noticed the missing scream on the last dvd but that was only on the 5.1 track. On the original mono I believe it is still there.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
While it certainly looks promising, DVDBeaver is comparing ot to a really crap 10 year old version on dvd. NOT the restored one from 2 years ago.

Okay, I got confirmation that this release is indeed uncut. The missing scream has been restored, as has the shot of Fred's wife. So, I went ahead and ordered from Amazon, along with MGM's dvd release of L&H's Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers. I got free shipping on this order and paid around $27 (give or take a few cents.) Not bad.

They said it looks better than it ever has. Not perfect, but I don't think this film ever was or ever will be. They said that the contrast is improved, as well as the framing. That's good enough for me! I'm a Christmas Carol lover....I have 10 versions and will probably add the Jim Carey version when it hits Blu.

I haven't found a PERFECT version yet. The '51 does come closest, though. I love the 1938 MGM version because it is so cozy on a cold winter's night. I like the Finney version for the scope. The Scott version captures the time period well. Sims is the best Scrooge ever, though.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The previous version had the 1935 Seymour Hicks version as one of its extras. I haven't seen that listed as being included in the new set. I sold my old version and had never gotten around to watching that one (the '35 movie). Maybe I'll buy that one separately (supposedly the previous version had an abbreviated version of the '35 movie).

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
While there are sections of this transfer that are nice and sharp in Blu-Ray, it's not a stellar transfer - many scenes are printed too dark, and the transfer is quite erratic. Wonderful Life, on the other hand, looks really nice.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've never seen this version, but plan on buying it. Thanks for the review on the picture and audio. I saw DVD Beaver's review too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched the film this week. Wow. I was very impressed with the picture and the sound was decent for an older film. If you are on the fence about this one, I would say go for it.

I also watched It's A Wonderful Life on blu ray. This one also looked very good.

I'm not sure how the restoration works with studios. It's A Wonderful Life may have been a bit cleaner, but both films had wonderful detail. The sound is 5.1 for A Christmas Carol, but there's a lot of limitations with the audio track but it still sounds good. I just notice some things in the audio going up and down a bit. I believe this is due to a limitation with the audio and the age?

The sound on It's a Wonderful Life is mono, but it sounds good too.

I'd recommend both titles. Next up will be the old and new Miracle on 34th Street blu rays.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Intellectually, I know I probably don't need to upgrade this title to Blu...but as it's a favorite, I know all I need to have happen is to see it in a store for a reasonable price....

Amazingly, that hasn't happened yet.

But, I kinda know it will...eventually...

As I was saying in the other thread, VCI needs to get their act together with this title. It looks wonderful, if it weren't for the frame jumps that do not seem to be the cause of missing frames, but rather a problem with the transfer. It happens so much that it is beyond distracting. I almost had to take the disc out because I couldn't stand it anymore. Also a weird glitch when Scrooge is sitting in his chair before Marley comes in....the carpet behind him separates from the rest of the frame! Weird. Anyway, I guess this is the version I will watch because the black and white is beautiful and there are no edits to picture or sound. But they need to go back and retransfer their restored elements or find out where the problem started with the final product. I will not be rebuying this title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Intellectually, I know I probably don't need to upgrade this title to Blu...but as it's a favorite, I know all I need to have happen is to see it in a store for a reasonable price....

Amazingly, that hasn't happened yet.

But, I kinda know it will...eventually...
And that never happened. I NEVER saw this title in ANY stores this past holiday season.

But I see now that amazon has it listed for $14.49! It is now in my shopping cart.

As I look around at what else is out there on blu-ray to fill out an order to get free shipping from amazon, I MAY just bite the bullet and say this is one of those movies that gets enough viewings in my household to deserve the upgrade from DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From VCI - On sale 11-1-2011 ($17.99 at amazon):

Alastair Sim's tour-de-force performance as the ultimate miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, has almost single-handedly made this beloved version of Charles Dickens' story into one of the best-loved Christmas films of all time. Some of Britain's best filmmakers united behind Sim, who was joined by a delightful cast of accomplished and acclaimed English actors; creating what many today believe to be the best and most faithful production of Dickens' immortal tale. Cranky and curmudgeonly Scrooge learns the error of his unkind ways and is taught the true meaning of the holidays when he is visited by the ghost of his late business partner and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future. This Blu-ray edition has been digitally restored from a new 1080p, 24fps high definition transfer master produced from the 35mm negative and fine grain. Bonus Features: "Commentary Tracks By Marcus Hearn and George Cole INTRODUCTION BY LEONARD MALTIN ""DEAD TO BEGIN WITH: The Darker Side of A Classic""- An all-new documentary exploring the films bleaker themes and how they rivaled London of the 1950's. Featuring British film historian and culturalist Sir Christopher Frayling. (25 mins) ""SCROOGE BY ANOTHER NAME: Distributing A Christmas Carol""- An all-new featurette detailing the American release of this British holiday classic. Featuring US distributor Richard Gordon. (10 mins) ""THE HUMAN BLARNEY STONE: Life and Films of Brian Desmond Hurst""-An all-new documentary chronicling the awe-inspiring life of Ireland's most prolific filmmaker. Featuring Allan Esler Smith, the great, great nephew and biographer of Hurst. (40 mins) A SCHOLAR S VIEW - video narrative by Fred Guida, author of A Christmas Carol and Its Adaptations (35 mins) SILENT DICKENS a collection of early examples of Dickens on film. (includes HD: Scrooge -1922, Bleak House 20 mins) BONUS DVD!DVD Extras: MORE SILENT DICKENS (SD A Christmas Carol 1914, Scrooge, or Marley s Ghost 1901, Scrooge 1913) ""CAMPBELL PLAYHOUSE: A CHRISTMAS CAROL""- A digitally remastered version of original 1939 radio dramatization, narrated by Orson Welles and starring Lionel Barrymore. AUDIO ONLY (54 mins) BIBLIOGRAPHIC ESSAY by Fred Guida (10 mins)" Product Specs: BD50; PCM 2.0; RT - 96 minutes; B&W; Aspect Ratio - HD 1080P; Year - 1951; SRP - $19.99

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I've got my copy on pre-order from Amazon. Since I just got a Blu-ray player this year, I hadn't got around to upgrading yet. I'm interested in seeing the new bonus material. The introduction by Leonard Maltin is already on YouTube. It's not very festive... I much prefer the Patrick MacNee by the Christmas tree and the fire introducing the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks