What's new

AKIRA Coming to Blu in FEB 09 (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who would like to see the original English dub included along with the newer English dub and original Japanese sound tracks?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wasn't that just a popular rumour spread by an inaccuracy on the old Criterion LD liner notes?

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator

Count me in also - I watched my old Akira VHS and laserdiscs so much, I have the old dub memorized!! Sure, it's not as accurate as the new dub, but I would still like to have it on there.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
There has been a release of the first GHOST IN THE SHELL in Japan. Sort of. They went back and redid the CG as well as adding in new CG scenes. It doesn't ruin the film, but there are times when it pulls you out of the film because of the disparity between the cel animation and the new CG. It's interesting, but not great. Unfortunately, I suspect if we ever get a BD release over here, it will be this new version.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Mania.com just posted their review and did a good job covering the A/V side of the release.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
the jap 5.1 true-hd and ac3 track are not that good as many might hope. the sound stage presented feels way to artificial. i highly recommend only to listen to the japanese pcm or english true-hd track. the japanese 5.1 upmix is really bad. i couldn't listen to it anymore after 10 minutes and skipped to jap 2.0 pcm audio. this was a lot better. sure, it's only dolby surround but atleast it sounded right.
as for the video quality, it's much better then i had hoped for. good job!!!

btw, all included trailers are in 1080p with optional english subtitles.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well if you don't get your hands on the first pressing due to high demand you may be waiting until 3/10 before you're able to get a copy.

Link

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Same here, though I don't think I ever recall a case of an item not shipping once Amazon indicated it would.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
They just sent me a shipping notice. According to them, Akira is definitely in the box. It'll be here tomorrow (yay, Amazon Prime and nearby shipping center!), so I guess I'll know then.

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman
No Streamline dub?!? Bah. I refuse to watch any Akira where the final fight is between Tetsuo and Canada. ;)

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
I like some of the re-foley work done for the English dub. That's the only thing positive I'll say about the dub, the score sounded flat and horrible compared to the original Japanese.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly confused by the myriad of audio options available on this disc. I don't have an aversion to subtitles, so which track is the 'purest'?

Additionally, I'm confused by the 192MHz Japanese Dobly Digital TrueHD soundtrack, as I'm pretty sure my receiver can't handle 192MHz and might downconvert it to 2 channels if it plays it at all.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just picked this up and plan to watch it tonite.

I will say I was tickled and then slightly annoyed by all the talk in the booklet about "hypersonic" audio and blah this and blah that about the hi-res sound option Blu-ray.

I mean, hi-res audio has been with us the better part of a decade via SACD and DVD-A. What's so revolutionary about hi-res audio at this point?

Whatever...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Anyone pick this up?

How would you compare the Japanese track on the BR to the Pioneer SD DTS version?

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this the other night (with the Japanese TrueHD audio). I must say, while the booklet that came with was a bit hyperbolic, the audio really is outstanding. It's one of the best I've heard. Extremely active rear surrounds, very crisp dialogue, good range of sounds, etc. Definitely worth a watch/listen.

Picture looks very nice too, but I have to commend the sound more.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
With all the wanking about audio in the booklet, I'm still confused...

Is the supersonic, universe-expanding TrueHD 5.1 Japanese track a different mix compared to the DD 5.1 Japanese mix, or a different encoding of the same mix...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks