What's new

Airplane SE coming/ Viacom to tap Paramount library (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
According to the Wall Street Journal, Viacom plans to release a special edition of Airplane in 2005, as part of "an aggressive slate of special editions for newer movies, from "Titanic" to "Airplane."

Other titles mentioned: The African Queen, and a "slug of Westerns." Paramount is "readying a big gambit on John Wayne movies" for DVD, and has acquired a library called Batjac.

The article focuses on how Viacom co-President Tom
Freston and new Paramount chief Brad Grey are looking for ways to revive the studio's fortunes, and selling DVDs is one quick and ready strategy.

There are a number of TV shows mentioned in the release too, which I will post in the TV section.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The current Airplane DVD is pretty good to me. I really enjoyed the commentary track on it. I hope they spend more time releasing back catalog than re-releasing titles.

Please give me "Ace in the Hole"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Left one out: The article also says "The High and Mighty" is among the titles Paramount plans to market on DVD.

BTW, the article appeared in the Wall Street Journal yesterday, Feb. 23.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

same here.
looking over their catalog, there just aren't that many early titles that i either need to see re-mastered and/or given a deluxe SE.
going back and releasing something with an anamorphic transfer when it was previously non-a, i can kind of understand- but here we are in 2005 and i'm still waiting to see the same three titles i was asking for back in 2001.

intresting comment in the other thread about them possibly lowering the msrps (although i think this was more in connection with TV sets).
in that area i can honestly say i'm very satisfied with Paramount.
now just bust out some stuff that i'm actually waiting to buy and i'll be an all around happy camper.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The John Wayne Batjac deal was actually struck last fall.

Here is an excerpt from the Paramount press release, posted at HTF in September:

---
Beginning in Spring 2005, Paramount will distribute a number of beloved but rarely seen John Wayne vehicles from the 1950s and 1960s, including a newly restored The High and the Mighty (1954) and Island in the Sky (1953), neither of which has previously been released on VHS or DVD. The restoration of The High and the Mighty, by Gretchen Wayne, will see the film returned to its glorious original 35mm film and presented in Stereo 5.1. Other Wayne classics making their DVD debut under the distribution pact include Hondo (1953) and “McLintock!” (1962), neither of which has been released on DVD domestically or home video internationally by Batjac. These classic films will include bonus features from Batjac’s extensive library of never-before-seen film memorabilia once they debut on DVD, including commentaries with the filmmakers and cast and featurettes on the making of the films, their subjects and their eras, incorporating new interviews and archival materials.
---

Discussion of this topic (more as it relates to TV product) was seen in this thread last month:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=paramount

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I hope this new edition of 'Airplane' features a scene which was only used in the TV broadcast version.

A man standing at the airport starts waving and hollers, "Hi Jack!!!".

Just then, the airport police drag him away, and we see a sign which reads "NO HIJACKING".

lol, it's priceless and by far one of the funniest jokes in the film. It's a shame it wasn't incorporated into the theatrical version. I hope at the very least, they include it as a deleted scene.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

There are actually quite a few extra scenes that appear on television versions of "Airplane". They all need to be included.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

This is certainly good news :D . Finally some word about this long neglected classic in R1. I assume this will provide a push for a release in '05 yet. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joel

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought African Queen was 20th century fox. I'm sure my VHS is.

Doesn't matter, as long as it comes out!!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see Private Parts and Escape from Alcatraz released anamorphically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks