What's new

Ah! I knew Blu Ray was snake oil! (1 Viewer)

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
Robert George said:
Okay...name one.
Some Warner titles have oversaturated, cartoonish colors, and consequently suffer from *black crush.* For example, the Blu-Ray of NORTH BY NORTHWEST is quite murky in comparison to the DVD, which looks extremely good for a transfer from 2000. Of course the Blu-Ray has a higher resolution and so the image is usually tighter, but it just doesn't look right to my eyes. I would much prefer to watch the DVD of NbNW, as it generally has better color and better shadow detail. As I said earlier, all the extra resolution in the world isn't going to produce a satisfactory viewing experience if the color timing is bad and/or the image is overprocessed. Blu-Ray supporters want to force people to judge image quality on the basis of resolution alone, and that just isn't fair, as there are many other factors involved in producing a faithful digital transfer of a film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MichaelEl said:
Some Warner titles have oversaturated, cartoonish colors, and consequently suffer from *black crush.* For example, the Blu-Ray of NORTH BY NORTHWEST is quite murky in comparison to the DVD, which looks extremely good for a transfer from 2000. Of course the Blu-Ray has a higher resolution and so the image is usually tighter, but it just doesn't look right to my eyes. I would much prefer to watch the DVD of NbNW, as it generally has better color and better shadow detail. As I said earlier, all the extra resolution in the world isn't going to produce a satisfactory viewing experience if the color timing is bad and/or the image is overprocessed. Blu-Ray supporters want to force people to judge image quality on the basis of resolution alone, and that just isn't fair, as there are many other factors involved in producing a faithful digital transfer of a film.
Although I disagree with you about North By Northwest on Blu-ray, your general point is absolutely correct. There is far more to a good presentation of a movie than just resolution of detail. Nevertheless, even those Blu-ray discs in my collection which I find disappointing are always at least slightly better than the respective DVD, and in most cases far better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

I doubt tony case is coming back in here, making this entire topic a load of snake oil.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you as the thread starter has been missing in action. Anyhow, this thread has given us an opportunity to discuss the virtues of Blu-ray and what they can do to improve their presentations.

Crawdaddy

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
My first HDTV was only capable of 720p and I was still absolutely blown away by the first Blu-ray I watched. It was like the first DVD I picked up waaaay back when, which was the original release of THE SIXTH SENSE. After watching VHS for so long it only took a few minutes of one DVD to go "My God, how have I ever watched things any other way but this?" Blu-ray did the same thing. A good Blu-ray transfer is quite literally like seeing something for the first time. I don't know how many times I've watched movies I've seen a million times before and seen things I've never noticed due to the increased resolution and added detail. Even if its just "Wow, I never realized the desk in the lobby of Nakatomi Plaza is made of brick," it still happens on just about every disc I throw in. And its great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks