What's new

After all my auditioning.....Klipsch it is (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
Interesting review. I only read the conclusions part.
Spoken like a true disciple. ;)
Personally, I auditioned the RF7 speakers when I was originally shopping for HT gear. I was impressed, but like many others, I found them to be overly brite, and music became fatiguing after about 30 minutes of listening. They were exceptional with respect to dynamics, however.
Then I happened to demo a pair of nOrh 4's. These were not muffled by any stretch. Not as "dynamic" as the Klipsch RF7's, for sure, but these played music. This was the first time I had heard the magic of incredible, deep imaging, the awe of having a singer's voice float rock-solid in the middle of the room with a deep soundstage behind. I heard details I didn't hear on the Klipsch setup, like fingers squeeking along guitar strings, saliva in the vocalist's mouth (I'm not kidding!), and I could almost tell what the sax player ate for lunch. I was smitten.
Anyway, I found the Klipsch to have strengths, to be sure, and I can easily see why so many people love them. Each speaker has its tradeoffs, and we make selections based on what each of us values. For me, I value the "you are there" illusion, so I made my choice accordingly.
The original poster made his choice based on his values. He compared and concluded he liked the Klipsch best. Bravo! It's great to have choices. :emoji_thumbsup:
John G

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Dana,
Haven't you heard the cliches - "made my ears bleed" - that people (often the same people) post over and over. Why is it ok in one direction and not the other?
I never said it was. I just don't believe that 2 wrongs make a right. ;)
But enough about that sort of thing. Chris, enjoy!

DanaA

Screenwriter
Dan,
Sorry, my response was a general one out of frustration to posters who, over and over, jump onto any Klipsch thread and use the time to bash, rather than say something constructive. It's like they were telling Chris that their ears could tell moreso what was the best sound for HIM than his own. The guy just got the speakers and really likes them. I would never tell a friend who just got married that his wife was ugly, whether I felt it to be true or not. What would matter to me is that he felt she was beautiful. That, to me, is all that should matter. And, a lot of people, myself included, happen to really love the Klipsch sound at that price range. I've owned stereo systems for over three decades. I'm not an audiophile, but am very enthusiastic about sound. To my ears, Klipsch sounded the best, by far, for the money and the sound I prefer of the 15 or so brands I auditioned. No, I didn't do blind tests or take a bunch of them home. I just went out quite a few times listening for hours at a time. And, I, like so many, opted for the Klipsch. I also have home sytems with NHT, AR, and, yes, your beloved Polk RTi's in other rooms. Each is distinct sounding and I love them all. One thing I would never do is let someone else tell me what was the best sounding speaker to my ears. I'd listen and consult with others, but, in the end, the final decision would have to be my own. I love dialogue, just not bashing for what I perceive is bashing's sake. By the way, I'm just trying to explain why I was frustrated, not saying you did this. To end my ramble, I'd like to invite commments like John's above which, although he prefers the sound of other speakers over Klipsch, states the reason why in a constructive way, with reasoning and thought behind it. I find much more appropriate than comments such as those that would insult someone's hearing range just because that person prefered a certain sound in their system.

That's the kind of discussion that I find is productive.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
The whole thing here is my friend had the rf7's first. We have always somewhat competed for the top HT or stereo setup so we're always upgrading. I tried like hell to find something that bested the klipsch, I tried every speaker and read every solution and asked so many questions until I got my answer. I never did get a chance with the vmps tower II's, although I'd like to here some still but of everything I tried my hardest on to out do the klipsch, nothing came close. Now after all this and finally purchasing the rf7's I have concluded they are the best speaker out there for me. I never thought it would be such a challenge to find a better speaker for the money or even a little more money but it was. And I found it impossible. I now have to admit to being a true klipsch lover beings I couldn't best it. He still has all the surrounds and center over me but that'll all change. All i'm ahead with now is my receiver. So the fun continues. He is now looking at receivers. We do it all in fun and its a great hobby. But with all that said i'm one happy customer.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Then I happened to demo a pair of nOrh 4's. These were not muffled by any stretch. Not as "dynamic" as the Klipsch RF7's, for sure, but these played music. This was the first time I had heard the magic of incredible, deep imaging, the awe of having a singer's voice float rock-solid in the middle of the room with a deep soundstage behind. I heard details I didn't hear on the Klipsch setup, like fingers squeeking along guitar strings, saliva in the vocalist's mouth (I'm not kidding!), and I could almost tell what the sax player ate for lunch. I was smitten.
John, that's an interesting comment about the 4.0's. I have a set and made the mistake of playing a rough mix of one of my band's songs through them for our ruthlessly perfectionist singer. He kept making comments about how we had to get rid of all the lip-smacking and breathing noises. Those speakers also revealed the fact, never before noticed by me, that my bass drum pedal has a slight squeak :)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
The whole thing here is my friend had the rf7's first. We have always somewhat competed for the top HT or stereo setup so we're always upgrading. I tried like hell to find something that bested the klipsch, I tried every speaker and read every solution and asked so many questions until I got my answer. I never did get a chance with the vmps tower II's, although I'd like to here some still but of everything I tried my hardest on to out do the klipsch, nothing came close. Now after all this and finally purchasing the rf7's I have concluded they are the best speaker out there for me. I never thought it would be such a challenge to find a better speaker for the money or even a little more money but it was. And I found it impossible.
Hi Chris,

Well since I suggested the VMPS, I am sorry you didn't get a chance to hear them for (in my opinion) You would have far outdistanced your buddy in the areas you were concerned with ..and.. given him a new standard to live up to.

The RF-7 could not compete with the bass impact of the Tower IIs, and that is what I thought you were interested in. As far a over all SPLs, both speakers could offer tremendous performance here, although again I would give the Towers the "listenability" edge at high SPLs without the edginess. Which means you could listen to them longer before listening fatigue. That is why I suggested them and "still" do.

To bad you just couldn't hear the difference. And when that is an issue (although there is a 30 day return policy) it is better to go with what you know for sure.

The most important thing is that you have found a speaker to be happy with. I only wish I could have helped you make that GIANT LEAP out in front of you buddy, so that his next purchase would have been based on what YOU bought.

Enjoy those Klipsch, you went with a solid performer.

Best regards,

John Casler

P.S. Audiophile Speakers or not, the SPLs attainable and Bass performance of a "true" audiophile speaker is based on the ability to reproduce true, absolute and "real sound" levels.

This is part of the criteria under which any good audiophile speaker is judged. It is not just "subtle nuance", but also sheer power and majesty.

If we were looking at cars, the Klipschs would be the Corvettes and Vipers and the VMPS would be the Lamboghinis and Ferrarris.

They both give us extreme performance pleasure and excitement. One has just a touch more refinment. (which many times costs extra, but not much in this case) Some don't care about that refinement, they just want the basic performance.

Just my opinion. Now turn on that reciever and Light those HORNS up!

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
John funny you should say that my favorite car happens to be a corvette and I also own a 1973 corvette. Kind of ironic huh?? You realize the new zo6 corvette is "the best price/performance car on the road? Really though, I was so close to getting them but that last remark from my friend and I also thought about if I "may" have had to send them back the shipping would be outrageous on those monsters. I would love to be able to audition them because I don't doubt your statements at all. If they are the performers you say then I guess my loss but I am happy with these and its much more convenient to take them to the local dealer just in case. Thanks for your help though John I do appreciate it.

Oh yeah one more thing. He is now basing his receiver purchase off of mine. There may be a denon in his future. Thought I'd add that. So in the end we will probably end up with the same system.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
J.G. Holt has written extensively on "audiophile" speakers being smooth to a fault. Horn speakers(as a group) get the sound of brass instruments with the correct bite. I listen to classical music so most of the time I don't need the explosive drive that horns can deliver. An individual's preferences in speakers often comes down to the type of music that they listen to.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
John funny you should say that my favorite car happens to be a corvette and I also own a 1973 corvette. Kind of ironic huh??
I knew that before you told me.
I have a buddy like yours and we always get things to play with based on the suggestion of the other. He got a Porshe and used to tape a $100 dollar bill to the windshield and would give it to anyone who could grab it off the windshield when he was accelerating in 1st gear.
I got a Pantera and punched it up to about 500 HP and tried the same thing. The hundred came of the windshield and hit them in the face without them having to move. :angry:
I learned my lesson on that one.
I got a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s; He got a pair of Dalquist DQ10s
I bought another pair and "stacked them" he bought another pair and "stacked them"
He bought the Sub, I bought two Subs, He bought a 300 watt power amp, I bought two 600 watt monoblocs
It never has ended. I have a VMPS Larger sub he heard just the other day, His was delivered last week.
I'll have VMPS RM40s coming in about 3 weeks, Guess what he'll have soon.
It is a great game cause its not he who "dies" with the most toys wins, Its He who "lives" with the most toys wins!
Gentlemen, If ya gottem, Lightem! Speakers that is.
Enjoy those Klipsch now, cause if ya really want to "smoke him" those VMPS are still in your future.
John

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Horn speakers(as a group) get the sound of brass instruments with the correct bite. I listen to classical music so most of the time I don't need the explosive drive that horns can deliver.
Yes, brass instruments are particulary impressive on Horn speakers. I didn't understand if you have Horns or not? Because one of the main reasons I love them is precisely their performance with the entire orchestra. Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Puccini, Bartok, Brahms, Stravinsky, etc are represented in all its glory.

A pair of Heresy, an old "class a" amplifier, a Tempest sub. Im in musical heaven everytime I turn up my gear.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I have yet to hear a horn speaker that didn't mess up the human voice, nor one that sounds anything like a real piano.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Funny that I know two pianists ,that have earned good money all their lives only from playing the piano (one classically trained and one playing everything else), who have both owned klipsch and only klipsch for YEARS.....
--------------------------------
We should give Chris a lot of credit though, he went out and LISTENED to MANY brands and found out what he liked....he didn't buy the one's that people he didn't know told him were the best, he didn't hear the one's that were SUPPOSEDLY worth the same as speakers costing TWICE as much and get all hung up on getting the "BEST DEAL", HE didn't listen to one brand then 3 months later listen to another and make a decision, but rather it sounds like he let HIS OWN EARS decide....How many here have really tested MULTIPLE BRANDS through similar equipment in similar rooms with the same demo's ...sure a few of you have ,but I doubt honestly if it's many... while I understand that some here on this forum don't have many opportunities to properly A/B (much less C/D/E) Equipment within a reasonable drive time from home ,I wish that if you have not done DIRECT comparisons between the speakers mentioned, then you'd refrain from bashing brands.......By the way, while I have some Klipsch speakers in my home, they are not in my 2 main systems.....

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I see a lot of ppl taking sides in this battle so I'm gonna have to stick my head in an try to be as neutral as I can. :)
Here's my theory/explanation as to why so many people enjoy Klipsch after additioning:
When our ears listen to a wide dynamic range like the one that the Klipsch RF7 offers, our ears "adapt" to that type of exaggerated sound. When the highs are louder than the mids, our ears/hearing also adapts to the loudness and it becomes less of a nuisance. (This effect is universal so it's not subjective)
An example of this is at a rock concert or club. Upon first arrival the music is loud and unbearable but after a while, your ears become accustomed to the levels and the perceived volume becomes lessened. Afterwords you leave that loud environment, into a normal environment, and everything sounds baffled/muffled as you will.
The same experience happens after people compare "Klipsch" sound to other speakers. Our ears "adjust" so that the perceived audio sounds "Good".. but when the audio changes to a speaker without "horns", it can begin to sound bad (muffled/dull). Our ears are then trying to rate the speakers better/worse by focusing on one side of the most noticeable difference thus to justify the purchase. Some ears focus that brand X sounds bad and is dull while other ears focus that Klipsch sounds bright and is bad.
Lets be honest, people choose their side of the fence because they probably don't want to end up with the worse sounding speaker.
But... what if there was no "worse" speaker and they both were like choosing your favorite number or color. That's where I agree with most of you in that choosing a speaker is in the ear of the beholder.
So..... When I test "audiophile" sound I try and rate the emotional impact it has... An interesting test for this would be to measure the amount of pleasure a speaker induces in the brain. Another test would be how long a speaker can play before the subject shows discomfort.
The time I usually "enjoy" music the most is when I notice the very subtle details and am moved with goose bumps. Sometimes I have to listen to tracks several times before I notice all the goodies hidden within.
Edit: I decided to leave out the Klipsch Bash segment cause I said I'd be neutral. hehe But it's sooo fun to battle. :D

Larry B

Screenwriter
Chris:

I'm sure the ones with the vendetta against klipsch are wishing deap down inside they would have got some for themselves but are too bullheaded to admit it.
You've gotta' be kidding!

Reagrding your majority rules arguments: Far more people lisen to music with receivers than with, for example, Levinson No. 32 reference preamps and (again, for example) Levinson No. 33 monoblocks. I doubt you will actually take the postion that the receivers are sonically superior.

Larry

Larry B

Screenwriter
Please note that all my comments have referred to MUSIC, not HT. I suspect that for those who really get off on explosions, pod races and the like, the dynamics and (to my ears) exaggerated highs of Klipsch speakers must add significantly to the experience, in a way that more refined speakers can not.
Larry

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Receivers are a much cheaper way to go. That isn't the case with klipsch. I could have gone with a cheaper audiophile speaker over the klipsch but chose not too. Also, I don't think people are as likely to audition a receiver for its sound as they are a set of speakers. Receivers get bought for there features, speakers get bought for the way they sound. And the whole muffled thing Chris Tsutsui mentioned is by no way how I came to the conclusion that the audiophile speakers sound muffled and week. I never even so much as listened to the klipsch the whole time I was auditioning speakers. I didn't have to I had already heard them at my buddy's house several times before. And no, none of those audiophile speakers brought a tear to my eye. My polks don't sound muffled and thats not a horn. Actually the highs on them can be more ear piercing at times then the klipsch. Again, I speak from personal experience, something more people should try before cutting down other brands just based on what they've heard. I agree with Matt here, get out and listen to them yourselves before you go on a bashing spree about horns or klipsch or whatever. Get some experience under your belt then "maybe" i'll acknowledge what you have to say.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add something. As I was auditioning the paradigm studio 100's and the b&w nautilus i believe 803 I had to sit for a while and try to figure out if it sounded good or not. The more I had the guy turn them up the less impressed I became. The first time I ever heard the klipsch I liked them immediately they sounded wonderful right away. Now when I think about that.......why would I buy a speaker that I had to try and decide if I liked it or not over a speaker that sounded good instantly. Thats a no brainer if you ask me. My ears shouldn't have to change what they like, they should like instantly what they have to here. And my tastes don't include the audiophile lines of speakers. A big downfall to me is if I wasn't sure I liked the sound. And nothing changed over the extended times listening to them except the salesmen nervously figuring out I wasn't impressed with their high dollar pieces of furniture with noise coming out of them.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
but I would bet my entire HT system that klipsch outsells any audiophile speaker on a world wide basis.
And Baywatch is more viewed than any other TV show on a worldwide basis, and Britney Spears sells more albums than most others on a worldwide basis. Are you going to argue their merits based on this?

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
You're comparing apples to oranges it doesn't work that way. But are you saying that britney isn't the best in the eyes of whoever is buying her albums. Careful now this is where this whole argument has been going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks