What's new

AFI’s Top 100 Films List Forum Challenge (Part 3) (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have started this thread up due to the other thread on this subject getting too long for some members to post or reply to.
Carry on.
Parker

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
**UPDATED: 1/28/2002**
77.gif

This is the American Film Institute’s (AFI) Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge. The goal is to watch all 100 films on the list by December 31, 2001. That gives you until the end of 2001 to get caught up. If you wish, you can skip those movies not yet released on DVD. However, it is encouraged that you watch those films available on VHS if they are presented in their original aspect ratio. The Challenge is being done on an honor system. Only serious movie buffs need to enter. :) Anyone can enter at any time as long as they watch all films by the end of 2001.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/top100dvd.html
Mitty
Rachael B
Evan Case
Robert Crawford
David Dennison
Scott Dill
Brian E
Neil Edwards
Robert A. Fowkes
Jon Huber
Hugh Jackes
Brook K.
George Kaplan
Walter Kittel
John Knowles
Bob Lindstrom
Chris Lock
Scott Merryfield
Seth Paxton
Edwin Pereyra
Chris Richard
Patrick S
Sarah S
Thi Them
Rob Willey
Mark Zimmer
2. 10 and Less Movies Left To Watch - Almost There But Not Quite:
Lisa H
Marianne
Burke Strickland
Gary Tooze
Robert Holloway
Jeff Job
Jim Clark
Daniel KS
Joe Rod
Rich Tysinger
Ryan M
Jason L.
3. 11 - 20 Left To Watch:
Aaron Hose
Brian Kleis
Allen Hirsch
Don Mac
Andrew D
Tino
Philippe Barsalou
Stu Rosen
Justin Spike
Eric Peterson
4. 21 - 30 Left To Watch:
Brad Porter
Jason Moreland
Jung Woo
Kevin Flanagan
Bjørn Olav Nyberg
Mariano
Dome Vongvises
5. 31 - 40 Left To Watch:
Ben Guyton
Dennis Nichols
Dave White
Brad Ems
Vincent Matis
JonS
Eric Howell
Sam C
Ashley Seymour
Tim Raffey
Tom G
Rain
6. 41 - 50 Left To Watch:
Monica S
Suz
Dave Gorman
Robert Spalding
David Oliver
Barry S
Gabriel Martin
MickeS
Scott DeToffol
7. Over 50 Left To Watch:
Kevin Royal
Brian Ford
Ike
Adrian C
Tom Burke
Kevin C
Craig S
Hakan Powers
Gordon Elgart
Todd Brown
Mike Holcomb
Nigel W
Andrew D
Brett B
Bill Buklis
William Ward
Luke B
Adam S
Nick Sievers
-------
~Edwin

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just resaw Pulp Fiction and although it's a good film with great music, there's just too much graphic gore and the wrong kind of nudity for this to make my to buy list.
------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin
I'm at 19 unwatched also.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Edwin, I need to change catagories too. With High Noon, it puts me at 50 watched, 50 to go!:D
High Noon is a wonderful fillm. I have tried to post how I feel about this film, but as every post gets erased through one method or another, I will not describe why I like it, just that it gets **** out of four from me. Perhaps I will talk about it later, but as this is my seventh attempted post about this movie I will see if this gets through first.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
I haven't updated my list in at least a month:
The Philadelphia Story
star.gif
star.gif
1/2 /
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

A Streetcar Named Desire
star.gif
(Is this the worst of the 100?)
Wuthering Heights
star.gif
(Maybe this is!)
The Maltese Falcon
star.gif
star.gif
1/2
The Graduate
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

25 to go

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
Of the 5 movies you list, I've only seen 3, all 3 of which I'd give 4 stars out of 4, which brings me to my question, what are some of the movies on the list you'd give 4 out of 4 to?
------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Did Holden Pike ever mention anything with regards to this list? I would think he had seen everything as well, but I don't know if he said. I assumed that's why he wasn't adding to the list.
Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing as much stuff from him lately. Maybe I am just overlooking his comments somehow. I sure would hate to have him jump ship on us (except when Movie triva contests start up :)).

Nigel W

Grip
I haven't posted an update since at least January....
The Graduate
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft were both outstanding in
this story. I still can't believe that this is the first time that I am seeing this film. The soundtrack was great as well.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I remember Holden said he has seen all the movies. He does seem to be posting less lately.
~T

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Holden has not mentioned completing the entire AFI list or else I would have included his name in that category. Maybe, he'll let us know one way or another.
Well, I've seen all 100 films but I'm not on the list as such. I'm feeling very neglected, sniff, sniff!
biggrin.gif

Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote: Well, I've seen all 100 films but I'm not on the list as such. I'm feeling very neglected, sniff, sniff! [/quote]
Well, why didn't you says so? And all this time I thought you were just lurking.
wink.gif

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The African Queen (1951)
3stars.gif
(out of four); #17 on the AFI list.
I’m afraid I’m gonna have to echo Seth’s sentiments in this film and add a few more. This “mismatched couple who fall in love with each other routine” has certainly been done earlier and better in Frank Capra's It Happened One Night (1934) AFI #35. While the acting of the two main leads were good, I agree with Seth that it is not their best. Bogart’s best was in The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre.
The film also suffers from having too much stock footage of the African jungle. Maybe, this film plays better on the big screen but whenever it shows the principals up close during the three rapids scenes, I can tell that it was fake and shot with the background superimposed (i.e. in front of a blue screen) thus diminishing the excitement for me. In addition, I’m not quite sure if the two characters would have successfully maneuvered that surprise last waterfall drop considering how steep and rugged it was. Furthermore, there’s that ending, which I thought was just silly and too much of a circumstance to be believable – a deus ex machina ending at that.
Still, there were some funny and memorable moments including the scene where Bogart imitates the animals, when he tries to take cover inside Hepburn’s quarters during a downpour and the scene with the leeches with the look of disgust on Bogart’s face. But IMO, this one sits too high on the AFI list. It’s a fine film but just not that great.
Again, thanks to my local library for providing the video for this film.
~Edwin

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
quote: So, no rebuttal comments from Mr. Crawford? Hmmm, he must agree with me for a change.[/quote]
Edwin,
Silence on my part doesn't mean affirmation of your review and I'm sure there will be other opportunities for further discussion.
biggrin.gif

Crawdaddy

Sarah S

Second Unit
Well, now I'm at 49. I've just finished Annie Hall; I have to say that I always enjoy Woody Allen films, I just dread them for some odd reason beforehand which is why I haven't gotten to it earlier. I did enjoy it; I particularyly liked how everyone could go back in time and look at themselves when they were younger and comment on thir behaviour. For some reason I found that really cute; and kind of High Fidelity-ish (yes I know that High Fidelity came out years after Annie Hall, but I saw it first.) I'm so used to seeing movies breaking "the fourth wall" that I guess I didn't really appreciate how innovative it was in this type of movie. IMHO, Annie Halll is a good movie, a cute movie, one that probably everyone should see once in their lives when they are single, but nothing really to get excited about. Still, for a movie of it's type, 4 out of 4. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks