What's new

Advice Please -- Samsung UN60EH6000FXZA or Sharp AQUOS 70LE600U for New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
I can't believe I'm here..but that is what a good sale will do:). Two weeks ago I saw how prices had dropped on tvs. Decided to treat myself to a new one for my birthday to replace old 52" Mitsubishi rear projection that is never used. Things are snowballing now. Decided to pimp out my basement and create a home theater room. Purchased the 60" Samsung and am awaiting delivery. BUT..had first consult today with HT installer and was told I could go bigger, but not larger than a 70". Soooo I got such a great deal on the Samsung I'm wondering should I just keep that or go ahead and go bigger. The best two deals are the 70" Sharp or a 65" Samsung. Either of these would be another $700 to $900 bucks over what I paid for the 60" Samsung -- and neither are smart tvs (I wasn't interesed in those). I love two other smaller Samsungs that I have upstairs in other rooms. Not at all familar with the Sharp brand. Appreciate your thoughts in trying to determine which way I should go? The way this room is shaping up, it will not be "high end" but it will definitely not just be a basic tv room with surround sound.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings The Samsung has better viewing angles than the sharp. Likely has a shiny surface though which makes it more reflective than the Sharp as they use matte surfaces to reduce reflections. Both are equally as tweakable from a calibration perspective. regards

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
I'm gonna have a restless night mulling over this one. I guess then it boils down to is bigger really better when its costing about $100 bucks more per inch! Thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll be back in the other forums asking for advice on the audio/video accessories. I'm just getting started and am so excited! Robin

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I would consult the seating charts and see which one is more appropriate considering how far you'll be sitting from the TV. Also, I used to like Samsung, but the last one I purchased (much smaller than yours, on a whim for my study without any research) was inferior to my previous experiences. It lacked both what I would have consider standard connection and features. The picture is fine though. The take-away is meant to be, download both manuals and see what you're actually getting.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Robin, welcome to the forum!
In terms of cost per inch, nothing will ever beat front projection - but that's not for everyone (or every room, for that matter).
One thing I might suggest you consider a nice Panasonic Plasma over any LCD display. Amazon has the 65" Panny ST50 for about the same price as the 70" Aquos. Plasma is king when it comes to picture quality.
Another member here (also in the Baltimore area) has a 65" VT series (the top of the line, thus pricier). I saw it in person, and I have to say I was floored by the picture quality. The ST series lacks the THX picture mode (which the other member uses and has done no other calibration - it just looks THAT good) and a few other bells and whistles found on the VT, but the ST model has all the "important" features, IMO. It's what I'm planning on getting when I am in the market for a new family room TV.
Whereabouts in Baltimore are you? We seriously need to consider a Baltimore area meetup... more and more people are popping into the forum from the area.
Good luck with the project!

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Sharp has a 70 inch LE640U which has more calibration than the 600U series as I understand it. I just pulled the trigger on a 60inch Sharp LE640U which arrives tomorrow after doing a lot of research. Definitely a lower end set but overall reviews were good but you have to calibrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks