What's new

Advice on Combining Speakers (1 Viewer)

veggiop

Grip
Real Name
veggiop
Dealing with a difficult situation and need some advice... I had to sacrifice my 5.1 Mirage speaker setup for a more lifestyle-friendly environment at the new home. I can use my left, center, right, and subwoofer speakers, but can't use the surrounds. I've just bought a new Yamaha 7.1 AVR (not set up yet) and am wondering if its possible, recommended, or NOT recommended to connect the surround outputs or the back surround outputs from the AVR to the left/right channel speakers as well.... trying to be sure that all of the sound output is driven to a speaker. Or will the AVR know that when I set it all up?

On a related note, I've found that the Mirage speakers and Sony 5.1 AVR system hasn't performed that well with movies/TV anyway.... it seems I'm always turning up the volume when its mostly dialog, and turning it down again during action scenes. Is this likely a result of my speakers, my old Sony AVR, or something else?

Thanks for the advice!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You don't have to manually wire the surrounds to the mains. (And if you do you will damage your receiver, or it will shut down.) When you set up your receiver you'll select 3.1 (all receivers require/allow this now); when you do that the receiver knows to send the surround signal to the active speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks