What's new

advice on building my first system (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2001 chevrolet silverado z-71 extended cab without onstar and has a completely stock audio system. I will eventually replace everything but need your advice on what to start with first. I'm thinking about putting a sub in first. I will most likely only want one sub since I dont want to shake the whole neighborhood. I dont have a lot of room under my seat( about 11-12 inches)so what kind of box would you recommend? Also, what brand and size of sub would you recommend? I know price pays a large factor in quality but if possible I would like to get a sub and amp for around 200-300.
my next question is if I should replace my HU or just upgrade speakers. I was looking at the alpine cda-9827 but wasnt sure if it would be a noticable upgrade over stock? what speakers would you recommend? I like the infinity speakers and they are a decent price, but im not sure if they are they great.
I'm open to any suggestions and opinions on what i should get. I understand that when dealing with audio its all up to the individuals own personal taste, but a point in the right direction would be most appeciated.

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
You have a ton of options with that vehicle. A lot depends on what your final goal is. Do you want an SQ (Sound Quality) system or a bumpin' SPL (Sound Pressure Level) system? Or do you fall somewhere in between? I personally am building an SQ oriented system that will also crank up loud without losing any of the quality. Of course that put me in a whole other budget level (think stupidly expensive).

What kind of music do you like? How loud do you like to play it? Are you looking at a component set or just the best options for the factory locations?

What I would do is try to plan your whole system before you buy anything. I would try upgrading the head unit and adding a 4 channel power amp to the stock speakers first. This will improve the overall sound quite a bit. Then you can decide whether you want a sub or new speakers next. Then finally finish off your system in the last stage.

Jl Audio makes a couple of completely stealth center console sub boxes for your vehicle. They are not cheap but they are completely invisible and you will not lose any interior space.

If you upgrade your head unit with Alpine (I'm getting the 9835) make sure it is one of the models with the V-Power amp built in. They are the best sounding and most powerful integrated amps I have seen in any head unit. You could just start with that wired into your stock speakers and see how you like it. Then, instead of getting an amp and new speakers for your doors, you could get the sub and amp next.

If you want to learn a lot, go to Link Removed and just read. Use the search function to figure out any terms you don't understand. After you've done some reading you can ask questions over there. I would say they are the equivalent of HTF when it comes to car audio.

Wow this got long. . . :D

Answering the first few questions will help you in designing your system.

Tom

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
alright thanks alot Tom.As far as my final goal I just want a decent sounding system, not anything that can be heard from 3 blocks away. I listen to a fairly wide variety of music like the new pop hits and some light rock and also some new modern country stuff. I will not be touching any rap or hard rock.
I'm looking at a Rockford Fosgate component set right now, but I'm not sure which way is best to go. I can get this component set for about $110 on ebay so thats not to bad of a deal if they are actually decent speakers.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10063558&CategoryDesc=Punch%20Component%20Systems[/url]

I was wanting to install most of this stuff my self, but i'm not sure how difficult it is. Are the component tweeters hard to install in the corners of the cabin?
I was also concerened on what size of sub I should get. I dont think I need more than 1 sub, but is a decently powered 10 or 12 going to be enough?
I'm not sure if I can spend enough on a head unit to get the v-drive amps, but I dont listen very loud so i dont know if its neccesary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks