1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a new Subwoofer for my Home Theater

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dmoney74, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dmoney74

dmoney74 Auditioning

Hello media room know it alls your advice is greatly appreciated. I am a little inexperienced with subwoofers and really just the whole audio realm. I have a approx 15' x 15' media room with currently a Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 set as recommended by a Magnolia Home theater rep. The sound is nice, not as loud as I'd like but nonetheless nice but the sub it comes with I don't think has quite enough punch that I'm looking for because you can hear the rattlish vibrations when the movie gets to that low pitch. Maybe its too much room for that sub to handle? My budget is less than $1000 and of course lower the better but I do want a sub that will make the walls shake and to be felt in your chest when the explosion happens but also not overpower those other speakers. What do I need to make that happen??? Thanks for the help!!!!
    Btw I have a Denon AVR 1712 reciever if that matters...

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    This sub is awesome.......... http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-nsd
    I have an earlier version of this one from almost two years ago. It definitely hits some very low notes. It's below your budget, will shake the walls, and hit you in the chest like you want. I'm not familiar with those speakers, so I don't know about over-powering them.
    Good luck!

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Try the Epik Legend. I recommended it recently and the purchaser posted his review (short) in the Speakers section.
    With a dozen 18" subs, a properly calibrated system will not have overpowering bass.
    Ed suggested SVS. Epik is a great company as well. Elemental Designs, Hsu Research, GR Research and Rythmik Audio are all great companies as well.

4. dmoney74

dmoney74 Auditioning

Ok thanks. I am considering a SVS PC12-NSD or a Def Tech SuperCube 4000? I'm also intrigued by the BIC America F12 at a 1/4 of the price? Maybe get the same punch and results with less costs or no, I'm dreaming?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Bass is about moving air so comparing a Def Tech SuperCube to an SVS PC-12 is like comparing a Honda Civic with a wing and a coffee can muffler to a Ford Mustang GT. The BIC isn't a slouch in it's price range but it won't hang with the SVS either.
    I'd also suggest the Epik Empire in that price range - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html