What's new

Advice Needed on replacement Sub (1 Viewer)

mpw32

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hey everyone,
New to the forum here, looking forward to learning a lot more about HT and contributing what I learn from my experience.
I currently have a system setup and last week my Klipsch RW-12d subwoofer decided to blow the built in amplifier after a lot of research it is extremely difficult to get it repaired and I am not the only one with this same problem. So I am looking to get a good replacement/upgrade. Budget is around $1500 I have been reading the forums and getting opinions on some different subs and like the performance of the Epik Empires and Craigs HTC 18.2 SP, both seem like great performance for the money. I am interested in going with a dual setup. I have a Denon 2808CI with a sing sub output on it and am concerned about splitting the signal between the dual subs not only with noise interferance but degrading of the signal. What do you all think?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a Denon 2808CI with a sing sub output on it and am concerned about splitting the signal between the dual subs not only with noise interferance but degrading of the signal. What do you all think?
Receivers with dual sub outputs use an internal splitter. You will use an external one. I'm using a Y adapter that was originally installed in my car in 1989 and it works fine. Don't worry about splitting the signal.
Dual subs with your budget should be something like dual Empires. Unless you want to go sort of DIY - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=849. Full DIY will get you dual 18's, a pro amp, EQ and money left over from your budget.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are some receivers that do, finally, have actual separate sub outputs...not just an internal "splitter"...very few and far between.
You might try a DIY on your current Klipsch. Remove the plate amp, bypass it and run it with a dedicated external amplifier(like a Dayton "bread loaf")...
Less expensive and takes maybe 15 minutes...if you know how to use a screwdriver and a set of wire cutters...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always recommend not going with a replacement amp because you don't know if the factory amp had any EQ built it or where the subsonic filter was set. If it were a sealed sub, I might suggest it but definitely not with a ported sub.

mpw32

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for all the info, at this point I'm leaning towards the dual Epik Empires, seen a lot of great feedback on them on various forums. I had my Klipsch sub powered through my Rotel, should I do the same for the dual subs?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What do you mean "Power the Epiks with your Rotel"?
You can't add power to a self-powered subwoofer.
Edit:
By the way, about "circumventing the internal amp". I've done it with success on 5 subwoofers. First was a JBL DPS12 that I bought at a garage sale for $5 cause "it didn't work". Took 10 minutes and I had it hooked up to a Sony TA-N110. Probably sounded better than it ever had before.
Did the same thing with a DCM sub(the 710 I think...model number was on the plate amp...the plate amp no longer exists). It is powered by a Jamo MPA 201.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Have you considered SVS? Very popular subs with people into HT. I think the owners are members here. Their subs are outstanding! Get the right one, and you won't need dual subs.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers I have their cheaper cylinder sub (from 2 yrs. ago), and it blows away everything else I've heard. People that have come over and experienced it, can't believe what they hear come out of it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks