1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for setting up HT in Livng Room

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Sandy7979, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sandy7979

Sandy7979 New Member

Hello,
    I have been going through lot of sites and reviews to find the perfect equipment to setup my home theater system in our new living room.
    I would like to use it mainly for Movies (preferably 3D), DTH, Games (PlayStation) and of course Music (streaming from my HTC ONE X {Android} over bluetooth or Wi-Fi network).
    My budget would be $5k and have come down to a few options and could not decide on the right one.
    Also I am not sure if this combination will work well.
    Please advise.
    Projector:
    Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 ($2,600)
    AV Receiver:
    Sony STR-DN1030 ($500) OR
    Integra DTR-20.4 ($600)
    Speakers:
    SuperCinema 3 by Goldenear Technology ($1750) OR
    KHT3005SE High Gloss White System by KEF ($1500)
    Could you also suggest the right cables to connect these systems.
    SS

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That Integra will run circles around a Sony...any Sony AVR. Goldenear are great speakers. Even though the 3 suffers from the same deficit all speakers like it do...being small, the folded ribbon tweeter is a delight. You could always buy the 3, then upgrade to 7.1 and kick these four to surround duty and get larger Goldenear later...
    As for the projector, there are more informed people than me. I've been fortunate to have owned two JVC...both I got "for a song"...
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm

3. Sandy7979

Sandy7979 New Member

Thanks for the links

4. Sandy7979

Sandy7979 New Member

I have considered projector central for reviews and chose the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 from it as its the top rated.
    I heard Integra is the best, but Sony is the latest receiver and has inbuilt Wi-fi and bluetooth. Just want to know which one will be more compatible with the 3d projector. Is there a site where I can compare these two models ?

5. Sandy7979

Sandy7979 New Member

Also I will be using PS3 as a bluray player to connect my external HDD, will that do ? or should I get an exclusive 3d bluray player?

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Well-Known Member

I would also recommend Projectors at Projector Review if you are evaluating which projector to purchase.
    Regarding cables - any decent HDMI cables should suffice. Sites to consider for cabling are Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable.
    The biggest issue you are going to run in with using a PS3 to access content from an external HDD is that you will be limited to FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limitation. (There may some work arounds for this - but I have no idea what this might entail. I don't know if any other Blu-ray players support NTFS - maybe the Oppo 93?)
    Good luck with your system.
    - Walter.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    You "could" purchase both receivers(or move up the Integra line) and see if the features of the Sony "make up for everything else"...
    If, through the Goldenear 3 you can't tell a difference between the Sony and Integra...return the Integra. If you can tell a difference, then it is up to you to determine if you can live without certain features...
    Although, You can "always add" an Apple TV2, Roku...or any one of the MANY streaming devices that cost between $75-$150.
    As for a PS3 as your BD player...
    There are fervent people on both sides of the fence...
    The side that says "Greatest BD player there is..."
    The other side that says "Play too many BD in it and you'll run the drive ragged..."

8. Number1AVdork

Number1AVdork Well-Known Member

The PS3 is a fine blue ray player. Unless you go the full kitten kaboodle towards higher end decoders you will not be spending more on a different blu ray player effectively. The right cables to run in the system are the cheapest cables. 16 guage speaker wire is fine. Generic HDMI cables are fine.
    The best HDMI cable is the cheapest cable. They either work or they don't work. There is no difference between a 1,000$ HDMI cable and a 10$ cable. If you want a fancy jacket over your cable to make it appear "high" end go ahead.