What's new

Advent 34" Wide Screen CRT Flat Tube HDTV (HT3461A) - thoughts??? (1 Viewer)

kuliddar

Agent
Hi all,

I came across this CRT widescreen model at best buy and would like to get some of your thoughts. I`ve never heard of this manufacturer before and how it performs. Since it`s nearly impossible to get 34inch widescreen CRTs these days I`m hoping it`s a decent product. Any info would help.

Thx

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Advent is Best Buy's "private label" TV brand. Like Sears Kenmore or your local supermarket's "store brand" soup, it is made by an established manufacturer, branded under another name and sold exclusively through one retailer. This arrangement allows Best Buy to pay less and thus charge less. I have no idea who actually makes the sets, and the Advent brand hasn't been around long enough to generate much of a track record, but I can only assume that, as with Sears and the supermarket, it is in Best Buy's best interest to make sure that its "store brand" products provide good value for the money. Maybe not all the bells and whistles or quite the quality of the name brands, but solid construction and "good enough" quality at a given price point. Basically Best Buy introduced the brand to capture sales that were otherwise walking out the door and going to Wal-Mart, Costco or Sam's club because the brand names were too pricey and because they don't carry the real no-name brands. (Wal-Mart has similarly launched a "captive" line of electronics if memory serves.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Thank you Jerermy. I have no idea how I managed to mix-up Advent and Insignia, not to mention suffering total amnesia about Advent's long history in the AV world. (I owned Advent speakers for years, for pete's sake. :))

Kuliddar please disregard everything I said :D

Joe

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I think it is a cryin shame what has happened to Advent in the last 5-10 years.

Like Joe DeMartino, I owned several pair of Advent speakers over the years and they were some of the very best of their time. Full range 40 pound bookshelf with genuine walnut cabinets for about $125 each.

Henry Kloss was so far ahead of most everybody else. He designed and sold a front projection TV system about 25 years ago!

Alas, he was not a good business man and Advent is pretty much of a joke now.

Henry Kloss was way ahead of his time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks