What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is there an easy way to tell if my old-style BGC discs are the defective version? (time is short these days, can't watch 'em all right now!)
Also, I don't think I've ever heard of "mecha" fan-service before! It pretty much refers to T&A shots (of varying degrees of explicitosity, not necessarily hentai), as far as I can tell.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would agree that fan service is most commonly referenced to non-hentai T&A, anything that serves no other purpose other than to appease the fans can be referred to as fan service, including gratuitous mecha shots. :)
No offense intended Gregg, but we discourage discussion of bootlegs around here.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Gregg,
Berserk has been licensed by Media Blasters and they are now in production of the dubbing and other stuff. I believe what Chris stated on his AoD site is that it was slated for a 2002 release. Let's hope Media Blasters doesn't screw up this series for the first volume.
---
Aaron,
To check if your BGC is the crappy one is to check the subtitling in Episode 1 of the OVA. If the subtitling is off-timed or too quick (ends before the dialogue finishes), or whatever, you have the bad version. I believe there is no way to tell from the exterior of the packaging which version you have. YOu have to just watch the first episode of each disc.
And no Armitage other than the dubbed movie. The OVA series is better, IMO.
---

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Oh god, I got the R1 DVD of El Hazard OVA set, and my god, the packaging is gorgeous!! Just as good as any Japanese R2 DVD anime packaging!!!
Woo-hoo! I am so proud of Pioneer. They really know how to give their die hard fans something awesome and unique!!
K.C.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hmm, interesting, I was under the impression the El Hazard box was another cheap cardboard deal.
I will be quite happy if this is not the case.
------------------
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 10, 2001 at 01:25 AM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
You have no idea what you are talking about if you think this case is some cheap cardboard.
With this much colors and gold stamping...this is one helluva expensive box cover...and I should know about the price, since my company used to get these type of boxes done, and the more you stamp with gold and do in color, the more expensive the price per box gets.
Just be glad it ain't the Tylor cheap-o box cover for TRSI's "pseudo" boxset.
K.C.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Ok, don't worry folks I'm back
wink.gif
I was stuck at UCLA for the last three days for Orientation. I was a little disappointed that the anime club didn't show up, although quite a few others did. My counselor for the orientation told me that the anime club always puts up a booth on the first few days of school. Can't wait :)
What about BERSERK???
Yeah I was curious about it too? But my ponderings were more in the line of the show's content rather than its current availability. Can anyone give me a quick mini-review of the show?
Thanks.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"
"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My concern with any cardboard case is durability, it doesn't matter how much is spent on asthetics, if they are using thin cardboard that will easily by dented/damaged I'm against it. I do know what foil stamping costs. Does this have a nice thick laquer coat on it?
At least with Tenchi it had a protective slipcase, though that causes damage from inserting the case back in it.
I haven't seen this set yet, and am only going by what I read on AOD.
------------------

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Joe,
You should check out AniPike, the research for anime if you are interested in Berserk.
Oh, and Berserk is licensed by Urban Vision, not Media Blasters, sorry for my mistake.
frown.gif

I hope you had a fun time at UCLA orientation. :) The anime club is pretty nice up there. The only problem is that they ONLY showcase stuff they could get right to showcase...which means no fansubs and nothing new direct from Japan...which really sucks. But otherwise, they are really good club.
---
Jeff,
If you take care of the packaging, which is really easy to do, you should be able not do dent it or anything else. I'm very careful with expensive stuff (especially stuff from Japan), so all my stuff tend to still be near-mint and excellent conditions because I take very care, regardless of what the material is covering it...that includes if it was paper, which El Hazard OVA is not fortunately.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Kong,
I can attest to that. You take damn good care of your anime DVD's. That Record of Lodoss War TV box you sent me looked practically new. I was very impressed
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

JasonRH

Second Unit
Joe_C,
I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the Lodoss TV series after you finish viewing it. I enjoyed the original OVA series and wanted to get an opinion on the T.V version. Thanks.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Kong, I have no problem caring for my stuff - once it gets here. The post office, on the other hand, is great at ruining packaging, especially if it is flimsy cardboard.
I'm pretty anal about the condition my stuff stays in, but if it can be damaged simply by using it the way you are supposed to (Close Encounters slipcase scratching the box inside, Tenchi's plastic cover tering the edges from trying to fit the dlipcase over it) then I don;t favor the designs, especially when paying more for a collectable.
Anyway, we'll see when it gets here if it survived the journey, unlike the box I received a few days ago which was ripped in transit.
------------------

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Does the Record of Lodoss War TV series have the same VA cast as the OVA? I really hope so. The Japanese cast is doing a damn good job so far, especially when compared to the dub cast :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
What do you guys think of Crest of the Stars? I saw a few episodes of it at Anime Expo and I really liked it. Eventually, I'm going to buy the discs. I've read Chris' review of it, and while I'm excited about his praise for the content, the video (especially the screenshots he shows) is apparently terrible!
Is Bandai even aware that the authoring house they picked did a crappy job? Please tell me there is news of a re-issue... The funny thing is, I do remember noticing how bad the intro looked at AX. At the time I just chalked it up to something wrong with their equipment, because the lady who was running it just fast forwarded past the scenes that had obvious video problems.
Well, has anyone else seen the first disc? What did you think of both the content and the technical side? I'm really looking forward to this release and I don't want anything to sully my enjoyment of it.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I watched the first two discs of Gasaraki and I am hooked!
I didn't find the story slow at all. I felt myself becoming involved from the very beginning(love the opening theme song. Why is sung in English? I'd love to hear it sung in Japanese).
The Mechas are awesome and done in an almost realistic way.
The characters(of which there are many) are well done. I love the mystery of Miharu. Yushiro is a great character, as well. It's hard to see just who the bad guys are. The Gowas are certainly no angels. Everything just doesn't seem to be painted in black and white. Lots of greys, lots of greys.
*sigh* yet more money I have to spend because I have to get the rest of the series.
I also loved the proclomation on the back exclaiming "loaded with extras!" :)
I guess it is for Anime titles, huh.
Anyway, I am not a great reviewer, hell, I'm not even a fair one. Sorry about that.
I did absolutely enjoy watching the two discs though and am eager to watch the rest of the series.
Thank you all for the recommendation.
[Edited last by Bob Morgan on August 12, 2001 at 04:53 AM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Jeff,
I hear you about shipping and the condition of the DVD, but mine came in good condition, considering it was shipped slow via USPS.
But otherwise, it is very easy to take care of any box, including the FY boxes...you should see how I take care of my Japanese albums (and I have hundreds of them). I really make sure they do not warp or anything of that sort.
---
Joe,
The RoLW TV Series Japanese VA's are different than the OVA's because all the actors from the OVA's are busy doing other projects. Of course, you can't tell because stupid Image Entertainment decided to hack off the intro and ending credits from each episode of RoLW OVA for R1 DVD (what stupid morons) in order to fit 13 episodes onto 2 discs.
Anyway, check out the DVD-ROM features, because it gives you more background into the Lodoss stories, based on the novels.
And as for Crest of the Stars, it is a good series, really slow at the beginning...a little ho-hum, but it is based off a novel series, and this is the first series of 3 so far out in Japan. (2nd series is called Battleflag of the Stars and 3rd series is called Battleflag of the Stars II). Accordingly for the remastering of the first disc, Bandai has stopped using the same authoring house that Tokyopop used with their Spring & Chaos DVD, and hopefully Disc #2 of CotS will be better. They will remaster the first volume, but they first, accordingly, have to find a better master from Japan (or something like that...that was passed to me through a grapevine). Just don't buy this first volume yet until Bandai officially announces the new reprint in production.
---
Bob,
Glad you are enjoying Gasaraki, now you also can torture yourself, like the rest of us, who are waiting for Disc 6 to arrive come late September. Luckily for me, I'm gonna watch my R2 DVDs, because I can't wait any longer.
As for the theme song intro, just keep watching the intro, the opening animation sequence changes every 2 episodes or so. AND the Japanese rendition of the intro song comes halfway through the series sung by the same group.
Gasaraki is a great series...too bad many Americans don't have the patience for it.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Kong,
why do people have no patience for it? From all the talk I was expecting to fall asleep watching the first disc!
There was enough there to keep anyone interested. I mean, it's not like there was no action or anything.
Can't figure it out.
To each his own I guess.
Oh, and on a sidenote. My wife's son(from a previous marraige) came home while I was watching the show.
"You're watching a cartoon?"
"I'm watching Japanese Anime"
"Bob, you're watching a cartoon.You have anything else to watch?"
" I'm watching this"
" Well, I'm goin' to bed then."
J6P thru and thru :)
Thank God he's not from my loins. I'd be ashamed :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hey Anime gurus,
I have a quick question. I have read though both the older threads and didt see anything about a particular dvd I was looking into purchasing. It is called Twilight of the Dark Master. Is it any good? Is it worth purchasing? It look very interestig and seems like my kind of thing. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
[Edited last by Romier S on August 12, 2001 at 03:52 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks