What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part VI (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
D'oh! I know you guys are manga folks, (and having the manga is available is cool I guess) but why won't anyone translate any Japanese novels? Do they think anime watchers can't read too well?? I always wanted to read the Lodoss War novels too.

But, *sigh* I guess books aren't that popular these days (beyond the same regurgitated popular authors), and book-made-into-movie books.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but is that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or the movie? :D heheheh. Whatever they do, it's gonna need a lot of editing, it's a pretty violent show! They don't even let them have blood in BeBop!

I think bigger news is Wolf's Rain in April! That means that the DVD release would be right around then! ^_^ / Oh, and more Space Ghost! WooHOO! George Lowe is the coolest man alive, by the way... he's always at MegaCon signing stuff (I got my SG action figure signed by him and he literally took 20 minutes writing all over it to finish, LOL).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm torned between manga and video.

Does anybody know why certain video series get lopped off only to have the actual manga story line go on for two/three more issues?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Dome:

It's called, we'll produce the anime before the manga finishes. That's what happens. Even though the manga hasn't finished, they produce the anime series, and it's pretty much lopped at a certain scene or arc and that's it.

Bryan: (see I can spell) :D

All the anime shows are going to be highly edited. Heh, most likely GitS:SAC will be edited, especially the intro. Heh heh. Wouldn't that suck?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Dome:

Been watching Love Hina :D? Kong outlined one possible scenario; another could be the producers of the anime made a conscious decision to stop the anime at a certain point for business/creative/insane reasons.

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have never understood why Love Hina hasn't gone on to TV... I mean, it's new... the nudity isn't there (well, there IS some groping ;) ) and it's very popular.

The dub is terrible though :) ;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hey, a little stumbling around on half.com - I found the Berserk Dreamcast video game - Sword of the Berserk: Guts's Rage. It got decent reviews (7/10, 8/10, 7.8/10). Anybody have first hand experience with the game? My dreamcast could use another good game...

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno, Cartoon network was good on FLCL...

The only problems I can think of off the top of my head with GitS:SAC is episode 10... that one was quite graphic.

And what do you mean edit the intro? for content or length?

-Owl

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I've posted here. Looks like no one was concerned about where I went... :frowning:

It sucks that the tin version of Akira is OOP. I wish I could get it. How are the discs held in that tin? I'm totally stupid, because I don't have any DVD that comes in an extra special case like that.

CN always cuts the intro
Not always. Just take a look at Cowboy Bebop. They leave the opening and ending completely intact.

By the way. My live action DVD, video game, and music collection are not dwindling. They are EXPANDING! MUAHAHA! See, anime isn't the most important thing to me! :D

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently watching Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Maburaho, AYA Enishi, FMA, and Tsukihime. So far I am loving everyone of them.

I will be picking up the rest of .hack and X this week. I hope to also get s-CRY-ed and maybe the Trigun manga. I did have a question, is the Trigun manga any different than the show? Does it go into more details on any issues?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'm still wavering on the Akira LE tin...I don't think I like the movie enough to spend $30 on it...at least, not with Media Play doing the other version for $9.99 this week...maybe I will pick it up and try to Ebay it (or offer it to one of you guys that are interested on the software for sale forum).

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

'Jidaigeki' means period piece. More specifically, Azumi takes place after Tokugawa Ieyasu's victory over the 'Western' Daimyo at Sekigahara, but prior to the final defeat of the Toyotomi family by the Tokugawa, so it's around 1610-1615. Jidaigeki are to Japanese films what Westerns are to American films. Jidai also happens to be the inspiration for George Lucas coming up with 'Jedi'.

All:

Well, DVD Day (TM) was good to me again. I picked up Berserk vol. 2, Chobits vol. 3, Full Metal Panic vol. 5, X2: X-Men United, and Zone of the Enders - Dolores, i vol. 3. I wanted to pick up vol. 5 of Chobits, but they seemed to be out, along with vol. 1 of BotS II and Oh, My Goddess vol. 1.

John.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
why won't anyone translate any Japanese novels?
There is a guy who has done translations of the CotS novels. If you do a search of the various Anime forums, you should be able to find him. His translations seem to be pretty good, and it was helpful to get a broader sense of what is going on.

I'm not mentioning any more details, because technically, what he's doing is illegal, and there are those out there that have a personal problem with him.

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Dome:

You're probably out of luck, although you might be able to find it used at Amazon. I like Chi myself, although I still think Sumomo is the best :).

John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hey John, I couldn't find Chobits #5 for the fiancee either, a few days ago. Looked again and it's still out. Media Play says they have 2 copies but we were unable to find them in the store. And Best Buy cranked up all their prices on Pioneer/Bandai to full MSRP - Stacey may be impatient, but even she won't pay the full $30 a disc.

My Last Exile LE shipped from Digital Eyes today, finally. Yay!

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the CoTS novels, perhaps I will hunt around. I have a hard time reading books on the screen though (thousands of books read in hand make page-turning a habit - if I get distracted thinking about something but my eyes are still on the book, I will turn pages out of habit and have to go back and find where my mind wandered off).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks