What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part VI (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
:b :b :b
My repetoire and technique aren't that good, but hey~ I like MASTER Chef better... heh. JohnAD - stop making me blush~

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
How is the audio/video on the first Last Exile DVD? The DVD I ordered hasn't arrived yet.
The video is a milky smooth anamorphic widescreen (1.77:1) spread over 2 layers of a DVD-9, but the audio is just in plain Jane vanilla stereo (abiet very directional). Sounds nice in Dolby Pro Logic II though :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Posting to join the new thread.

Never a big fan of Ramen myself, the chicken stuff's OK. Personally, I'm a rice guy myself (hooked on Rice a Roni as a kid). I've been attempting to stir-fry lately. Got a decent batch of sweet n' sour chicken earlier this week.

Created basically a chicken fried-rice combo last night on Thai Rice noodles, that came out OK.

Too busy writing papers and taking tests lately to watch much. My TTT:EE is still sitting on the top of my bookcase.

I was thinking about the whole online etailers thing today, reading a thread on animeondvd.com about rightstuf shipping. I realized that even if their customer service is slow to respond, they do package with a lot of padding and stuff to prevent breakage in the mail. The couple of instances of breakage we got looked like they happened at the warehouse rather than in the mail (returnable). Maybe it was just a fluke. So maybe I'll try them again for a while. The excessive packaging TRSI uses should protect me from the "USPS ANGRY! SMAAAAAASH!" hulk-like effect my media mail packages have been getting lately.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm done....for now...*cue evil sounding laugh and music*
I believe that's my line :).

Dave:

My last order from CD Japan was similar. They do a very good job at packing - they had better, considering a lot of their business is outside of Japan. Anyway, when I got my order, the box had a big dent in it. However, when I opened it, The 10 CDs & DVDs were in three bundles, each wrapped with bubble wrap, and then they had paper padding around them. Not even a scratch :).

If you're serious about rice, you should get a rice cooker if you don't have one already. You don't necessarily need one of the super, fuzzy-logic ones (which rock :)), the push button ones are pretty cheap, and just about everyone I knew when I was in college had one.

John.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
No high five. :frowning:

Oh well. I can live without the booklets, that is if I ever get FLCL. Hmm, I bet I can find all them with a booklet in town. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find the 3rd volume + box!

Too bad I won't buy it, seeing how I think it's a ripoff. 3 discs for a 6 episode series?! PFFT!!!! I have better things to spend my money on! :D

Did you get my PM, Eric?

In other news that won't matter to you, since it is about music I like, and it is an American band, the new Offspring album leaked onto the net tonight. WOW! A different direction for the band, but still EXCELLENT! :)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find the 3rd volume + box!
You can still get the volume 3 + box set from Anime Gamers (which has some sort of special relationship with Synchpoint). You'll pay full MSRP and shipping is pretty expensive but it beats eBay prices.

As an aside: since this is my first and probably last post in this thread (not much of an anime guy), I'd like to take this opportunity to say that "Cromartie High School" is objectively brilliant.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I met an amazing girl last night at a LAN party I attended. She's a beautiful Thai girl that's really~ into anime/videogames/Type O blood type and I must admit, I have never gotten a phone number so quickly. I mean, I am utterly stunned that this 18-year-old asian beauty shows interest in this quite regular otaking in training ^_^;;;

Any recommendations for Thai cuisine? (She tells me it's spicy) I always like to cook for a first date (which, because of the weird holiday this weekend... might have to come the week after next, so take your time ;) ). Might just have to settle for making some inventive ramen though (which I have been meaning to do) if Thai cuisine is an art ;)

We are seeing each other tonight though... she attends the same anime club as me. :eek: :eek:

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rob:

Phad Thai is probably a good, easy choice. You can either search for a recipe online, or get a mix. There are other dishes you could make, but I'm having recipe block right now, so I can't think of one :). Good luck :).

John.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Well, I had kind of a busy day today. I went to Uwajimaya/Kinokuniya, and refreshed my supplies of Pocky and Ramune :). I also picked up some CDs and DVDs:

Namie Amuro - So Crazy/Come (Come is from Inu Yasha)
Every Little Thing - Many Pieces
Marika Matsumoto - Final Fantasy X-2 Vocal Collection - Rikku CD+DVD (R2) I just need to get the third and last one for Paine
Kumi Koda - real Emotion/1000 no Kotoba 1000 no Kotoba is another song from Final Fantasy X-2
Suicide Club

My order from CD Japan has reached customs, so hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday.

I was able to watch a couple of anime disks, too. I watched vol. 1 of Infinite Ryvius. It started a bit slowly, but I'm looking forward to seeing the next disk. I also watched vol. 1 of Last Exile. Gorgeous is the only word that comes close to the visuals. The only down side is the 2 1/2 month wait until February for the next disk.

John.

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Berserk Vol. 6 has been purchased. Another series down, 2 more to go(Witch Hunter Robin and Last Exile. Don't worry though, I'll start another anime series soon. I'm thinking about Love Hina, Big O: Season One or Boogiepop Phantom.

By the way, what the hell is Boogiepop Phantom about? I read the back of the DVD case and the animeondvd.com review and while I like the subject material-I'm STILL confused.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Eric:

I've watched the series twice, and I'm still confused. It's definitely worth watching, though.

John.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thai girl huh? I hear they know good food. :)

Pad Thai is easy as hell to make. This is my version.

2x Handful of Rice Noodles
ONE TBS of Palm Sugar (or two-three TBS of regular sugar)
Two eggs
2 TBS of Fish Sauce
2 1/2 Dashes of Regular Soy Sauce
3 Dashes of Sweet Soy Sauce
Bean sprouts? (I've only found them in Asian grocery stores. They have whitish stalks with yellow "beans sprouts" on end.)
peanuts (unsalted, unroasted)

For shrimp section
paprika
garlic powder
pepper
oregano
thyme
deturded/detailed shrimp (1 1/2 pounds)
tobasco

1 lime cut into 2 halves
Green onions

servings: 2 ;)

(steps between lines are done almost simultaneously)

1. Soften noodles for about two to three hours
2. Heat up 2x pans
3. Crush peanuts to huge, course pieces (warning do not make them sandish!!!)
---
4. Start frying up noodles. Take scrambled eggs and throw them in. Keep flipping the pan and mixing (yeah, that fancy stuff on the T.V. shows. I'm pretty good at it :D ). If not, just use a spatula.
5. Mix in the two kinds of soy sauce, sugar, and fish sauce.
6. Throw in bean sprouts.
7. Cook until noodles have a semi-brown consistency to them. Taste and adjust until satisfied.
----

8. look at bold for shrimp recipe. throw ingredients together.
9. Fry the shrimp

----

Put cooked noodles over two dishes. Place shrimp on top of noodles. Put green onions over the dishes for taste and presentation. Place lime halves on dishes. Enjoy.

For starters, I would go to a Thai restaurant and try out the Pad Thai to know what it tastes like. I know what it tastes like. I grew up with it. :D

But seriously, I've got other recipes I'll be willing to share. If you want them, just ring a bell in this thread.

Other notable Thai recipes:

Nua Nam Dtoge (pronounced
Nua = New Wah as in New and the Wa part in Wasabile
Nam = Nam, as in the A is in Amish
Dtoge = imagine running a D and T sound together and saying joke

It's basically Thai Beef Salad

Gai Ga Pow
pronounced
Gai = Guy with hard G
Ga = as in Ga ga
Pow = Pow!
Thai basil chicken

Kow Mon Gai
Kow = like saying cowl without the l
Mon = as in Jamaca
Gai = Guy with hard G

Thai ginger chicken.

Okay, it's 4:00am and I'm pooped.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Boogiepop Phantom is awesome but you must be open to the fact that not everything will be completely explained. You can enjoy it as a Twilight Zone like experience (many episodes can be stand alone weirdness) or marvel at how the series manages to intersect each episode into other episodes. The box set from Right Stuf (ultra box set) is really good. It's definitely not for everyone. If you enjoy figuring things out and watching a series 2 or 3 times to see the connections, you'll like it. If you want a more traditional story, probably not for you.

It does make sense but it'll take repeat viewings and probably some research to get everything. If you've seen Lain, it's somewhat along those lines.

It's one of my favorites (others being: Cowboy Bebop, Kare Kano, Trigun, Escaflowne, Last Exile, Witch Hunter Robin).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks