What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jay:

I'll chime in also for recommending Lain. It's really a must see, probably moreso than Boogiepop Phantom.

Rob:

Luckily, I can honestly say I didn't start with DBZ :).

Jesse:

Since I'm currently rewatching Love Hina, you might want to pick up the manga before getting the anime. The story in the manga is quite a bit more coherent, and there are quite a few changes in the anime, more so than I thought the first time I watched the series. This isn't to say the anime is bad, but just that the manga is *much* better (A vs. B), and you get to know the characters in a lot more detail.

Tony:

You can go ahead and add my recommendations to the list for the following shows:

Ai Yori Aoshi
GTO
Love Hina
Mahoromatic
Tenchi Muyo! OVA
Macross
Macross Plus
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Animatrix
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of the Stars
Hellsing
Inu Yasha
Ghost in the Shell
Grave of the Fireflies
Metropolis
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

My fault, I should have done most of these a long time ago.

John.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jay! Welcome to the HTF Anime Possee of Minnesota (Tony-B, Jesse Brickzin, and JayF)! It's great to see more Minnesotans into anime! :D

Jay, I definitely recommend Cowboy Bebop. Order this set from Amazon. It is the cheapest legal way to get all of them. Or if you want to go for something less expensive, go for Crest of the Stars. That is an EXCELLENT series, and is the one the broke my hatred of anime. Best Buy has the whole thing for $50, but you can find it online for around $40 or so.

I think the sad fact is that most of us started with DBZ though
DBZ was the first anime I remember, but I totally despised it with a passion. Then that led to other bad shows, and made me despise ALL anime. But then, of course, I see CotS and I am somewhat of an otaku. :D

I need to get a Greencine membership one of these days. *Reminds self to do it when he gets a steady flow of incoming cash.* :)

Brendan, I am going to watch it as soon as I am done with Orphen, which will probably be next weekend.

Jay, Mark, Jesse, and John, I'll get your recommendations in tonight. While I am at it, does anyone else have things to add?

Rob, thanks for that neat plug... :D :emoji_thumbsup:

The only things I evangelize are Crest of the Stars, Spineshank, and cool heavy metal bands! SPINESHANK'S KICKASS NEW ALBUM, SELF-DESTRUCTIVE PATTERN, IS IN STORES ON SEPTEMBER 9TH! BUY IT! ;) :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Did you guys know that DeepDiscountDVD has manga? $7.19 shipped... and they actually have a pretty decent selection. Just type in "graphic novel" in the search field.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

BTW, I watched the first disk of eX-Driver Perfect Collection yesterday, and found another inexpensive series you might like. Lots of action, and there is some J-Rock you might like in the soundtrack. Plus, you get it all for the price of a regular DVD, so you might want to get it.

John.

Eric F

Screenwriter
DeepDiscountDVD does a good job hiding that fact. Overstock.com has the lowest prices on books on the net. Combine it with a 10% off coupon and it gets even cheaper. $2.95 flat rate shipping.

Off to watch SG-1 Season 4.:)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
In the other thread... I have started an official HTF Advanced Recommendations list. This is going to surpass anime for those who want to delve FARTHER into Japanese culture. I am going to start it with a couple of my recommendations, but I need your guys help with the J-music section (I am only a casual listener) and of course, recommendations for the two other areas: Manga and Food.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1749070

:D

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rob:

Here are some advanced recommendations:

Manga:

Love Hina, GTO, Kare Kano, Lone Wolf and Cub (Koike & Kojima), Ghost in the Shell (Shirow), Inu Yasha (Takahashi), Battle Royale (Takami & Taguchi)

J-Pop:

Do As Infinity (J-Pop/J-Rock), Ayumi Hamasaki(J-Pop), HAL(J-Pop), Dragon Ash (Hip hop/J-Rock) (All - CD Japan)

Food:

Pocky (Of course. You should mention that several different companies make Pocky-like snacks), Gyoza (several different varieties), Mochi Ice Cream (Chocolate, Strawberry, Red Bean, Green Tea, etc.)

John.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
for food, don't forget marble soda (at least i think that's what it's called). you know...the soda that has the marble thing-a-ma-jig in the neck.

also, those tapioca bubble-teas are pretty tasty.

is sushi stating the obvious? ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at my bookshelf, and I see ten Love Hina mangas. That also explains why I'm stuck in my apartment on a Friday night. I can't believe I've already spent a hundred bucks on that stuff..... But then again, I would've wasted a hundred on Maker's and Coke anyway.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Here is what I have to recommend...

Food: Pocky (Duh). I haven't had any other Japanese food (even sushi).

Manga: Nothing. I have read basically no manga.

Music: Kemuri (J-Rock/J-"Ska") and the Mad Capsule Markets (J-Rock).

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Dome:

Well, volume 14 comes out 'officially' on the 16th to complete the series, so you better start reading :).

Ted:

I think that's lemonade that comes with the marble. I know it's shown in RahXephon. I don't think bubble teas are Japanese, but I agree they're damn good.

John.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I like fatty tuna and salmon as well.
just came back from my fave sushi joint here in sac. it's called mikuni's and has won first place in the sacramento magazine's "best of" category for at least five years running.

tonight's sampling included a vegetarian role, sake (fresh salmon) and a roll called the "kaiser" - which has just about every kind of fish in it. yummy!

john - they definitely have the marble soda, but it isn't lemonade. it's just some sort of carbonated soda. yep, i can drink bubble-tea like nobody's biz. if you're feeling adventurous, here's a recipe website for bubble tea.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have to concur on the spider roll... that's also my favorite
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Sushi is great, but too damned expensive (for DECENT stuff) to eat on a regular basis :eek: :eek:

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the recommendations, and thanks for the welcome Tony-B. I just ordered Lain from Amazon. Really looking forward to watching this. For those of you who have seen Lain and Boogiepop, I'm curious if the audio in Lain is as creative as in Boogiepop. I only listened to the pro-logic Japanese track and was blown away by the music, sound effects, etc. Hoping for a similar experience with Lain.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Lain's sound design is in the same vein as Boogiepop. The animation style is much different than Boogiepop though... it's a much "cleaner" style (although when working in a computer enviroment, that makes more sense) :D

I picked up the first volume of the FLCL manga today at GameStop. The cover is SO SHINY :D It's only 2 volumes too according to GameStop's pricetag ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks