What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Earl:

Wow...I think we had completely opposite reactions. I just got done rewatching Cowboy Bebop, and I was reminded just how good the series was. The whole story arc with Spike/Vicious/Julia (eps 5, 12-13, 25-26) is better than whole series I've seen.

On the other hand, I wasn't terribly impressed by EoE, even though it was better than the last two episodes of the original series. I guess I don't like my imagery and symbolism shoved down my throat.

I guess it goes to show that for any show, Your Milage may Vary.

John.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
JohnAD:
You're right, mileage definately varies. I personally love episodes 25 & 26 of Evangelion!!! I didn't like 'Sincerely Yours' from EOE but like the film overall cause of 'Air' which is the only thing from EOE I watch {which fits in perfectly cause it has its own end credits!}
I will definatly rewatch Bebop in a little while though. Rewatching Evangelion definately helped it with me, cause it's now my favourite series so hopefully I'll like Bebop more the second time through too!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What really got me about the ending of Cowboy Bebop was Faye's monologe to Spike. It just underlined what the overall point of the series, that the past is the past, and it does not define you.
That, combined with her own search for the past really nails it home.

Spike can't let go of his past, no matter how good things are for him on the Bebop. Because of that, things end in a tradgedy for him...

Jason

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted By: Jason Birzer

On Haibane Renmei, it is interesting so far. The Ghibli heads might like it more than others, since there is asense of wonder in it so far.
Yeah, heh, I guess I could be called a Ghibli head ;)

I have only seen the first 2 eps, and can't wait till I get the money to buy it.

-Owl

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jason:

I think your analysis is pretty much on the mark, although I'm not sure if Spike could have avoided going after Vicious, based on his character. I think the ending would've been much worse, or at least much different if they had left that open. IMHO, it's one of the reasons that I find it so compelling. Cowboy Bebop is definitely one of the few anime series that has a definite ending.

John.

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes, FLCL rocks! I cant wait till I get DVD 2, so I can watch it and #3.

I have Disc one, and Disc three in the Collectors box.

The Manga scene in the first ep rocks.

-Owl

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What's FLCL stand for?

Oh, add my recommendations for Cowboy Bebop, Vampire Hunter D, Grave of the Fireflies, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
FLCL...

I think it stands for Fooly Cooly or something like that.

But the series is really called Furi Kuri, so who knows?

Will do that, Dome! Thanks!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jason said:
That's basically what I said.
I guess it was just the difference between fate and free will :).

I watched Full Metal Panic vol. 3 today. Definitely some good episodes, and you get some character development from Sousuke, Haname, and the Captain. Six weeks is definitely too long to wait for the next one, but at least I've got RahXephon vol. 5 next week and GTO vol. 10 on the 16th to tide me over :).

John.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
On the preview for the last episode of FLCL, it shows that FLCL could stand for:

FLip CLock
FooLish CLeverness
FLimsy CLaim
FLighty CLipper
FLint CLeaver
FLeming CLement
FLection CLimate
FLeecy CLew

:D

It's really just FooL CooL. Kazuya Tsurumaki really liked how Pocket Monsters was called Pokemon in the U.S so he just used that. Not sure what Furi Kuri is all about though!

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm relatively new to anime. I've seen & enjoyed most of the "mainstream" features like Metropolis, Akira, etc. I recently purchased Blue Submarine #6 (but haven't watched) and have just finished watching Boogiepop Phantom. I'm now trying to decide what to get next. I LOVED Boogiepop and could easily sit down and watch the whole thing again. Any recommendations? I've heard/read about Serial Experiments Lain, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the $86 price of admission. Any comments?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
JayF, I'm the same. Saw Akira many many moons ago and Kiki's Delivery Service. I absolutely loved Cowboy Bebop. A friend had been raving about it to me for almost 3 years and it just went in one ear and out the other. I wish I would have listened sooner!

Jesse Brickzin

Stunt Coordinator
Fruit baskets or Love Hina? or heck Chobits? what should I get next?

Ok i am totally loving Ai Yori Aoshi (Tony Add me on the recommendation list for this one :))...I have His and Her Circumstances box on order but i need to keep busy until September 30th...so which one should i get??? :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you liked Boogiepop, DEFINATELY check out Lain. The DVDs are SPECTACULAR (finest looking cel-animated weekly show on DVD if you ASK ME) and the show itself is great if you love the "mindfuck" genre.

I would like to also direct you to our own Tony B's Official HTF Anime Recommendations List. Many, many good places to start. I, of course, must also plug my two favorite shows... GTO (high school comedy) and Cowboy Bebop (space Bounty huntin' action). BeBop can usually be found on-the-cheap on Amazon.com (not sure what the going rate is for all 6 discs... but it's less than $100, I am sure). GTO is available individually and is also coming soon in 2 5-DVD mini-boxes, the first coming in December, for about $70-$80 and it even comes with a sturdy box and nifty shirt. I collected all 10 discs myself individually and I STILL think it was a great deal! (but I'll be damned if I don't want a shirt and box now ;) )

I think the sad fact is that most of us started with DBZ though :b :b

PS: If anyone ever told you crack was the most addicting thing on earth, they lied! :D

Fruit baskets or Love Hina? or heck Chobits?
That quite possibly depends on what you want...
Fruits Basket is quite different than the two latter shows, in that it is a shoujo anime (more romantic, dramatic), which is geared more towards girls in Japan *but are perfectly acceptable for males to watch too!*. LH and Chobits (which oddly enough, was made by an all-female group of manga-ka artists, CLAMP) are both geared more to a shonen audience of men... they are funny, fanservicey, and contain moments of drama. I'd say that Chobits is a better show than Love Hina though (the middle part of LH bored me to death).

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hearing some newer-to-anime people around lately, I would again just take this moment to recommend greencine.com's rental program for those of us that are on a budget. If you are new to anime, try joining greencine.com (like Netflix, but with eclectic selections). They carry almost every anime known to man :). Their wait times aren't as good as netflix (they are a smaller outfit) and the ship times aren't as great (from California 2-5 days, generally 3, but they ship on Saturdays, unlike the other rental services), but they carry everything non-mainstream. Period. And if they don't carry it, email them, and they will buy it for you to rent. Seriously.

Jay, if you liked Boogiepop, you must see Lain. I've seen the first disc of Boogiepop. Lain is in the same mindf*ck spirit. The 4-disc set really isn't a deal anyway. I would definitely suggest picking up the first disc and watching it. Or, like the beginning of my post mentioned, join greencine and rent it. I don't evangelize (he he, what would Evangelionize mean? :) ) places very often, but their selection is outstanding, the customer service is outstanding and personal, and you get a couple of weeks free to try it out. Nothing to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks