What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part IV (1 Viewer)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

Ditto, to tell the truth I'm not terribly interested in a Manga, as I suspect that adaptation wouldn't have much over the anime adaptation. But the idea of having the novels--chock full of world-creation minutae no doubt--would please me enormously.

And hey, if english translations of "The Ring" and "Battle Royale" have come out here, anything's possible I suppose.

*Crosses fingers for some Boogiepop Phantom novels to get translated*

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I think that you should maybe try out Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is considered to be one of the best anime series ever made. I personally have not seen all of it, but what I have seen was very good. You might also want to check out a newer series called RahXephon.

There's a CotS manga? I'd like to see the novels come over...
You know what, AOD might have screwed up and meant the novels. Nonetheless, I would like to see both come over here.

Just in case any of you are interested, Best Buy has the first volume of Ninja Scroll: TV for $15.99 this week, and remember there is a bonus DVD that comes with it! Do you guys think that this is a good series for me to look into, or should I just wait for the SE of the movie?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Between a job, school, videogames, and the internet (beyond a social life), I don't have time to get into older anime (except for a few classic films). I also don't have the money, and that's why I try to focus on getting a series as it comes out rather than buying a boxset of something 20 years old.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, given that most box sets are out as singles, only Fushigi Yugi, Sailor Moon (uncut) and Mospeada come to mind as box ONLY

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I can only speak for myself but I would rather buy a box set of something twenty years old that was a milestone in Japanese animation. I do not have a problem with the availability of new series, but I think the historical series in the medium should not be ignored. There are fans who would purchase some of these shows, as long as they were produced properly and in chronological order. Not everyone thinks that NGE or its ilk are the best anime series ever produced.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think the real problem we have is that there are too many Toonami heads who refuse to buy anything that's more than about 5 years old (and then they scream at you about how Gundam Wing only came out a few years ago).

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Edwin:

How many times can you talk about Macross, say, or Akira before you start to repeat yourself? The reason why people talk about new series on this list is because they're, well, new. Many people on this list have been watching anime since before Tony was born (myself included), so the discussions tend towards shows we haven't seen, rather than ones we've rehashed over and over. You're still welcome to bring them up, though.

Juan:

Yes, get Hellsing. It's a good enough series to pay full price for, but don't if you don't have to :).

Mark:

A good resource is www.animeondvd.com. Chris Beveridge runs the site, and I've found his reviews are pretty much on the mark. One Animeigo series that everyone would recommend is Macross. This was one of the series that Robotech was based on, in all its uncut glory.

Jeff:

The Hakkenden and El Hazard OVA are also box only.

John.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well, given that most box sets are out as singles, only Fushigi Yugi, Sailor Moon (uncut) and Mospeada come to mind as box ONLY
But many older series are either just coming out now or available in individual discs or a box. I'd prefer to get a box over individual discs, but I'd still prefer to get something that is relatively new (and thus, benefits from better image quality, in most cases, as well as extras that might not be available for an older series).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Brendan, Toonami heads are some of the most annoying people that an otaku could meet!

I can only speak for myself but I would rather buy a box set of something twenty years old that was a milestone in Japanese animation.
I'd rather buy something that I want to see! :D

Eric F

Screenwriter
I haven't seen Macross, but then I Robotech before the Macross sets came out. The Robotech DVDs are so cheap now it doesn't even pay to sell them. Sorry I didn't wait a little longer.

Any news of a full Crest/Banner of Stars box? I've given up buying my DVDs piecemeal. No point in buying single releases when you can get the whole thing at once, and cheaper.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Eric:

I doubt that Bandai will do that, considering they just released CotS collected. They'll probably do it for BotS and BotS II, but it'll probably be a while.

Tony:

Well, when you get the money, pick up Macross. It's old school, but the story is just so good. Since Animeigo has started to release singles for it, that's actually the cheaper way to go, if you can find them.

John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Edwin:
That kind of discussion was more in the Novice anime thread, which hasn't been posted in a couple of weeks (and hasn't had much traffic lately). I for one would be glad to see it revived for a while. My purchases and rentals are generally keeping to the really good less-recent stuff, mostly. Just picked up the Escaflowne box a week or 2 back, still need to pick up Evangelion (I rented the series, good stuff).

The only anime I am actively keeping up on is X and now Banner II. My fiancee, however, has me watching Noir, Please Teacher, Chobits, and now Three Kingdoms.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I have been away... but my internet has been out since Friday and still needs fixing tomorrow (I am on one of my friend's persicoms here on campus).

Ugh... Reign SUCKS. Seriously... it's very bad (I am even kinda-sorta liked Aeon Flux back in the day).

I just wish TRSI would hurry up with my orders... I forgot how long they take for sale items ;)

Seeya tomorrow! (hopefully!)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Well, when you get the money, pick up Macross. It's old school, but the story is just so good. Since Animeigo has started to release singles for it, that's actually the cheaper way to go, if you can find them.
Haven't seen the singles in stores, I think. How much are they per volume? I am too lazy to look.

Dave, revive it, then! :D

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone pick up Haibane Renmei? I really enjoy this one, some say its slow, but I think the pace is great.

Neat cover art too ;).

-Owl

I can't post images? :angry: thats annoying.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Everyone! WE ARE UNDER ATTACK! THE BOMBS ARE DROPPING! Move over to Part V in order to remain safe! ;)

Yeah, I started it early. I just wanted to beat Lutter and get it in before him! :D

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,
I don't see a Part V anywhere. Have you started it?

My internet has also been out for 2 weeks now. No anime discussion or Galaxies for me. :frowning:

Mike

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Bah, damn dial up.

Double post, sorry.

Edit: Oh hey look at that, #1000. Isn't that nice, beat ya AGAIN John. I know you were dying to get #1000 before anyone else. hehehe :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks