What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree with Kong. Definitely wait until you've watched the rest of the series. You probably should also watch episode 25 which is on the Christmas Movie disk in the extras.
Darn... I guess I am going to have to make it Christmas in July at the pace I am going ;)

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Just got finished watching Tekkaman Blade and what a great series and Berserk keeps getting better by the disc. And I I'm in love with HAHC it is a really intelligent series and cant wait to see the rest of it. Next series I want to start on is Mazinger Z and I gonna try and track down Gatchaman. If it wernt for christmas I would be buying up a storm.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Mike:
Do you mean the newer 3-episode OVA, or the original series? The original series is being put out under the title Battle of the Planets, while the OVA is Gatchaman. My wife watched BotP as a kid, but I hadn't seen any of it until we picked up the OVA. The OVA was good (mmmm...bounce), but the original series didn't age very well, at least in English.
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
The edited version of Space Ninja Gatchaman known as Battle of the Planets (the Sandy Frank version) was a very hacked up job...they hacked out every good part of the series, including all the cool vehicles that combine with the ship to form the super ship, and all the best fighting scenes.
I really hated the Americanized hacked and slashed version and the dub is atrocious too.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I really hated the Americanized hacked and slashed version and the dub is atrocious too.
:laugh: i wonder if that is the version i used to watch as a kid (early 80's i think).
all i really remember now is those funky "bloop bloop blip blip blip" sounds keops (?) used to make.
boy i used to love that show! :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Ted:

Yeah, that's the version. Luckily, they include both the American and Japanese versions on the disks.

John.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
man...that show was great (in a fond childhood memory kind of way)
my friend is bringing over Beserk #4 on Wed....woo hoo!
so what's up with this dts version of akira? anything to write home about?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Ted:
I haven't heard anything about it. I was finally able to pick up Sorcerer Hunters volume four to finish up the series. A pretty good ending for an average show. Nothing to write home about, but light and fun. Not to mention plenty of fan service as well :). I'm down to six series I'm working on - woo hoo!
John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was finally able to pick up Sorcerer Hunters
I hope ADV hurries up with the OVAs. ;)
Just started Gundam Wing and so far it's great. I wasn't sure I was going to like it.
Strawberry Eggs continues to entertain, as does Dai Guard.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For those interested and on the East Coast.We have officially announced Otakon 2003:August 8-10, 2003 Baltimore Convention Center (Baltimore MD)
Mods, feel free to kill this, but I figured I'd post the details of our press release here as hotel rooms go fast for the event and that way HTFers can get first crack.(OK, I want them to come too :))
MORE HOTELS TO COME
WYNDHAM BALTIMORE INNER HARBOR
Reservations: (410) 385-6700 or 1-800-WYNDHAM (1-800-996-3426)
Nights Available: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Rates: Single/Double/Triple/Quad $132.00/night -- must identify as part of the "Otakorp, Inc." group to get the group rate. Cutoff: July 7, 2003
or:
RADISSON PLAZA LORD BALTIMORE
Reservations: (410) 539-8400 or 1-800-333-3333
Nights Available: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Rates: Single/Double $135.00; Triple $155.00; Quad $175.00 -- Must mention Otakon/Otakorp, Inc. to get group rate Cutoff: July 10, 2003
Current confirmed guests:
------------------------------
Frederick Schodt, author, translator - http://www.jai2.com
Julie Davis, editor, Animerica - http://www.animerica-mag.com
Dr. Susan Napier, author, Professor of Asian Studies, University of Texas
Tons more Japanese and American music, production and voice actor guests will be announced as they're confirmed. All the usual fun fun events: Giant gaming room, Karaoke, Mystery Anime Theater 3000, Cosplay, Cel painting classes. Talk in person to industry reps from all the major anime studios, and the biggest dealer's room on the East Coast
More info: http://www.otakon.com
Any other questions, feel free to private message or email me

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:
Dai Guard look interesting, but I'm going to try and get some of my unfinished series completed before starting new ones. I have been rewatching GTO, and Macross is up after that. It'll be my first time rewatching it since I got it.
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
First and foremost, Akira R1 DTS version is Japanese DTS only and also includes an English 5.1 DD. Accordingly, the DTS is full bitrate. The R2 DVD limited ed. DTS Akira will include TWO (2) discs, one with DTS 5.1 and the other is more supplements not on the original Japanese R2 DVD for Akira and other tidbits. And the R2 is only 3800 Yen.
Anyhoo, just wanted to add something to Dai Guard, although an interesting story, so far, just ho-hum over all. I'll keep watching but hopefully it picks up. Very Eva-like mixed in with some Patlabor atmosphere.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the additional info on akira kong. i think i'll pass on this version. of course, if i only had an R2 player....ho hum....

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:
Just an interesting little tidbit I found today while rewatching GTO volume 5. On episode 23 (the last one on the disk), the movie that is in the theater is Ring (Ringu). I hadn't noticed that the first time I watched the disk, since I hadn't seen Ring yet.
John.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Disney is being sued by Japanese Spirited Away fans
Disney red-faced over 'faulty' DVD
KYOTO -- Buyers of a DVD version of the popular animated film "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" have launched a lawsuit against its retailer, Walt Disney Japan, claiming the color is "completely different" from movie theater showings.
...rest of the article at linked site...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Woo-hoo!
I received my R2 Saikano box with volume 1!!! :) It's gorgeous and comes with a Chise figure. :) YAY!!!
I'm so happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks