What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part II (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
"in my best imitation of kong's voice..."

quote:
"Hmmmm...come to the dark side you will....!"

TED,
LOL................................

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hellsing disc 1 is already being released with a box, however it apparently is only availble for the first pressing (there is also a box/ltd edition bloodbag). It only has three episodes on disc one, but is a pretty cool looking series.

While Lain may not have a huge payoff, it is easily worth it for the ride.

As for getting a better job, I don't know if doing ANYTHING legal can prepare you for the potential economic situation you may find yourself in.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
jehan -
i just got the lain boxset last week. although i'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened, i can say it's one of the coolest anime's i've seen.
it's the only anime that i've watched where i, at times, actually felt...ummm...."spooked"! :) there were times, when she was in the "wired" that i thought it was slightly over-the-top, but that's really the only complaint i can muster.
i'm going to have to watch it at least a couple more times before i begin to try to analyze it. oh..woe is me...poor thing - having to watch it over! :rolleyes

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
JasonRH:
I'll make sure to take some digital pics of the boxes so you can see what I mean by R2 splendor limited edition. Packaging in Japan is very critical, so everything is just gorgeous, even the cover art of the DVDs.
Rob:
Tenchi Muyou OVA, first and second OVA series, combined together to form 13 episodes comes packed in a nice designed OVA boxset released by Pioneer. Out of all the Tenchi series, this is the original, the one that started it all and the best of them all. The 3rd OVA series has yet to be started on production which will end the OVA storyline, because the OVA ends abruptly with no ending. However, the creators have stated they will eventually finish off the OVA with a 3rd series, so, let's hope.
And, as everyone else has stated, you'll definitely need a second job that can pay for all the addiction you will be getting. Once you smoke anime, you can't stop, and no patch is available. *heh*
Oh, and buy Escaflowne, you know you want it although you never seen it before. ;P
Ted:
Har har, very funny. ;P
"You too shall join the dark side, my friend"
You are getting sleepy...sleepy...
You must buy Gasaraki, yes, you must. *woooo*
If you want spooked, you must watch Boogiepop Phantom. :) Created by the Lain creators. Awesome short 13 episode series too. :)
Jehan:
Pioneer will not release big boxes anymore. The only reason they released Lain, Trigun, and Tenchi Universe with boxes after the separate volume releases is because they know that people will recollect if there are special limited boxes made for these series. However, future boxes that come with volume one will not be repackaed as a whole set any longer from Pioneer. So, you will need to pick up the first volume with box pronto. :)
You will definitely enjoy Serial Experiments Lain. The only reason people didn't like the ending is because they don't understand it. If you understand how the Japanese think, and their cultural psychology, it makes a whole lot of sense. It's the only way to appreciate the ending for what it is. I loved it.
Hellsing is a fun short 13 episodes series. It's Trigun with vampires, and Alucard is a great gun-toting vampire hunter vampire. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I love about Lain is how every episode opens the same way. A lot of the imagery is very...well...Japanese. I don't know a lot about Japan and the culture, but based on what little I do know, I can see how their views of technology and more spiritual things affect the way this series moved.

I loved Lain. Though I didn't get it in the box.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks folks, you guys sure don't make it easy on the wallet ;)
I picked up the Hellsing box and Volume 1 this afternoon so I saved myself the hassle of hunting it down later when it is all gone. Going to do a little hunting around socal tonight as part of the weekly shopping to see if I can find that elusive Bebop set.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Rob: considering the MSRP is somewhere around $120 that sounds good :), I am yet to see that series too - not yet done enough background reading to see what it's like.
No luck with the Bebop hunting, but I did see a almost perfect used copy of Blood: The Last Vampire at a store here locally and picked it up very cheap - gonna give it a look soon.
I just remembered that the Bebop movie screening in LA is happening pretty soon, looking forward to see Kong and other LA locals there I hope! :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Jehan:
Tenchi GXP is as Jeff's said, but it's another alternative universe Tenchi TV series.
Yes, I'll be going to Egyptian theater come August 11th to watch Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door. :D
Joe:
Hint hint hint. You must go! :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

Interesting...almost no reference to any of the 'regular' characters, except Mihoshi. Has anyone seen this yet?

John.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Rob: you lucky bugger!, that's a great price. Be sure to post some impressions of the series when you get to going through it :).
Well I had a look at Blood: The Last Vampire last night - having been watching a lot of older anime over the last few weeks this just blew me away presentation wise. The animation was simply stunning and the video quailty excellent, the DD 5.1 track was very active, with plenty of separation in the surrounds. Nothing too much there as far as plot goes, more of a 'demo' piece of what really can be done when these guys push the envelope, I wasn't really dissapointed that it ended so soon - it was an exciting ride and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm not certain, but I believe GXP is still airing in Japan. I've seen episode recaps of 5 episodes, but that's about it. My reading of the web site was that the series took place in the same universe as the OVAs, but a year after OVA 3 concludes. This could cause problems, since OVA 3 is supposed to finalise some relationships (which I won't get into since Rob hasn't even seen the first OVA yet). Apparently, the GXP series gets around this somehow, but as is mentioned on that site, the familiar characters won't show up until later.
I just hope there's a cabbit. :)
Also, if you liked Tenchi, chances are you'll like El Hazard. I resisted for a long time, but got the Magnificent World when it was still on preorder, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and my Wanderers fourth disc just got here last week. Still need to get Alternative World though. Gotta love the lesbian. :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
For those who are collecting Gasaraki, ADV Films will be doing a Paul Champagne design Gasaraki tin box a la Evangelion. Pictures can be found here. (Pics of box is on 6th page).
It's gorgeous box. :) Definitely going to be the first to get it whehn it hits RightStuf's webpage. :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

Yeah, El Hazard is pretty good. I don't have the boxed set yet, but I've seen the Magnificent World. I've got the Alternative World disks, which are pretty good. I still haven't seen Wanderers yet; they're on my list of things to get though.

John.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
A bunch of people have recommended the Kenshin OVA.

Would I need to see any other Kenshin product (like the TV series), to enjoy the OVA?

Andy

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Well good fortune finally after a long time of trying, I managed to snap a Bebop boxed set off ebay for around $150 which is pretty fortunate considering they've been going around $400 for a while too. Thought the seller might be a little dodgy but after talking to him a few times via email everything sounds good. Finally, to put this on the shelf :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks