What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Joe,
I would highly recommend attending this year's big expo ont he West Coast, Anime Expo 2001, at the Long Beach Convention, July 5-7. This way you can see more series and meet other anime fans (new and old) and enjoy the atmosphere which is "otaku"-ism. ;P
I don't know if I should put up the HTML or not but you can definitely find it if you do a search through any popular search engine.
Hope to see you there!! (I'll be staffing again this year)
--------
And I know what you are talking about Cowboy Bebop. Just a mind breathtaking ending. Now I really want to see the movie because this will flesh out some of the plot holes between episode 22 and episode 23, especially in the characterization. :)
You should definitely finish off your other series, especially Escaflowne. That is a great series, indeed! :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Hey Kong,
I'm in the process of MODing my pioneer DVL-91 into being region free. I very much want to get the region 2 Wings of Honn. But i remember reading that the Reg. 1 has English subtitles for the Japanese Director's commentary. I'd just like to know if the R2 has it as well. And where exactly should i buy this dvd?
-Dave
Hi Dave,
Region 2 does not have a director's commentary like there is on Region 1. That is the only good thing about region 1 is that little commentary. Otherwise Region 2 has Japanese 5.1, Japanese 2.0 and English 2.0. As for subtitles, you have English dubtitles and Japanese translation of the English dub. Plus, you get the missing footage that was cut out from the original movie. The region 2 goes for 9800 yen or so (meaning it's roughly about USD$80 + shipping from Japan). You may purchase the region 2 DVD from TokyoPop.Com, AmoTokyo.Com, CDJapan.Co.Jp. You will not get the limited edition LD box, but the regular keepcase version.
However, the one thing special about the Japanese DVD movie, it's anamorphic and progressive. :) Manga's R1 DVD is double-interlaced, and non-anamorphic.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Unless something's changed, the Japanese release of Wings of Honneamise is region 0. It's usually referred to region 2 as it's released in Japan. No player modding required.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Kong, does the, uh, figurine, uh , fully articulate? I mean, like, can you, um, play with it?
drool.gif

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I would highly recommend attending this year's big expo ont he West Coast, Anime Expo 2001, at the Long Beach Convention, July 5-7. This way you can see more series and meet other anime fans (new and old) and enjoy the atmosphere which is "otaku"-ism. ;P
Kong,
I was actually planning on going to this con with my best friend (I'm trying to "convert" him to anime). But after breaking my foot I don't know how feasible that plan is going to be. I'm hoping I can still go, but that's only if my foot heals enough to where I can get one of those "walking" casts.
Thanks for reminding me though. For some reason I thought it was at the end of July. Just one question though, how much money should I bring? :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies..."

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: You should definitely finish off your other series, especially Escaflowne. That is a great series, indeed![/quote]I'm getting really into Escaflowne. I'm on the 7th disc of that series right now. Ironically I'm also on the 7th discs of Gundam and Evangelion.
quote: And I know what you are talking about Cowboy Bebop. Just a mind breathtaking ending. Now I really want to see the movie because this will flesh out some of the plot holes between episode 22 and episode 23, especially in the characterization.[/quote]
I can't wait to go back and rewatch this series, especially the last few episodes. The ending hit me pretty hard, it took me awhile to react.
It's compelling storytelling like that which makes me very upset that many of my friends look down upon my love for anime. Most of them just look at it as if they are simply childish cartoons that attempt to "relate" to adults by showing gore and breasts. Whatever. Their loss
wink.gif

By the way, we should make this the OFFICIAL HTF ANIME THREAD, or something like that. What do you guys think? :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
No problem. I occasionally post links to various things on Anime Jump, cause it's a site I can essentially slashdot and throw him a ton of traffic. :)
------------------
Chris Beveridge

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Max Leung writes:
Kong,
I was actually planning on going to this con with my best friend (I'm trying to "convert" him to anime). But after breaking my foot I don't know how feasible that plan is going to be. I'm hoping I can still go, but that's only if my foot heals enough to where I can get one of those "walking" casts.
Thanks for reminding me though. For some reason I thought it was at the end of July. Just one question though, how much money should I bring?
You should bring tons of money...when you enter into that exhibit hall, you would wish you were a millionaire, I swear on anything. It really makes you feel poor because you can't buy everything you want...and they have tons of stuff. Not just that, "auction" on Sunday afternoon is fun to be at as well where you get to see what is up for auction and oh-my-god, you would just die for it as well, but you need moolah and lots of it.
wink.gif

As for Escaflowne, you should watch until the very end...the cliffhangers get worse and worse. I really love the story and I can't wait till I get all 8 and then I'll just send the proof of purchases and get that Tarot Card set from Bandai.
Evangelion is gonna be tough on the last volume because the wait between the last episode and the movie is way too long.
Your friends are definitely gonna lose out. Some people understand anime, some don't. It's always good to convince your friends that anime is cool and worth watching. :) Show them something cool like Bebop or Evagelion. Just don't show them the dub because it will seem more cartoonish that way.
We should definitely make this the official ANIME THREAD. :)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
For those with a region 2 capable player, I must give a huge recommendation for the newly released Kiki's Delivery Service. We watched the first hour or so last night, and other than a few patchy areas at the beginning, the majority of this disc is a true stunner.
It puts so many movies to shame with how gorgeous the colors look. It's like seeing the movie for the first time again.
(16:9, English 2.0, Japanese 2.0, English Subtitles, 2nd disc full of extras).
------------------
Chris Beveridge

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello all,
Can someone clear up something for me here? Throughout this thread I've seen WoH Region 2 reffered to as Region 0 and Region 2. If it is region 0 then I wouldn't need a region 2 player to watch the disc (it should work in any player)...correct? But if it is region 2, then I would need a region 2 player.
So, can anyone give me a definitive answer? I loved WoH but hate the Region 1 disc for all it's problems. I don't want to buy a region 2 DVD player, so if indeed it is Region 0, I will be in heaven!! :) If it is Region0, can anyone tell me where I can buy it online?, that would ship to Canada. Thanks a bunch.
So, interms of what's been talked about since I last posted in this thread, I'd like to add my input.
Evangelion: Great show!! I picked up disc 7 a few weeks ago, and the episodes on that disc really blew me away. I can't wait for disc 8 to come out though. Too bad the movies don't come out until October.
Escaflowne: Another great show! One of my favourites actually. Just for whatever reason, I've yet to pick up any of the DVD's yet. Next month I will be going on a buying splurge and getting all 8.
Tenchi: Dunno...haven't seen it yet. Been meaning to get Tenchi Muyo - Ultimate Edition, but the store where I get anime dvd's from, their supplier is backordered. Grrr!
Sorry for this long post (I haven't been keeping up with this thread...didn't realize it was still alive), but I just have one last thing to say. Right now, the shows that I'm currently really enjoying and that I think most people will really like are: Gasaraki and Rurouni Kenshin.
I'm done :)
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Andy,
Wings of Honneamise is region 0.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-245
Regional coding is all. I'd also heartily recommend CD Japan for buying it as well. Just no subs is all.
For those wondering about the absolutely botched job on the region 1 copy, check out these comparisons between the above mentioned region 0 and the region 1: Link Removed Yuck
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster,www.animeondvd.com

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ah man, only a dub. Oh well, looks like I'll have to take the plunge anyways.
Thanks for the info Chris, and keep up the great work on Anime on DVD. If it weren't for me finding your site (on Yahoo) 8 or so months ago, I probably wouldn't have the 50+ anime DVD's (growing weekly) that I have now! :)
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Thers a title called BLOOD and its supposed to be pretty kick ass. Some of my favor titles are all the movies that streameline picture/orion home video put out. Too bad the went out of bussiness.
------------------

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Gasaraki said:
Is that Blood: The Last Vampire? I didn't think it was out yet...
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: For those wondering about the absolutely botched job on the region 1 copy, check out these comparisons between the above mentioned region 0 and the region 1: Link Removed
I had no idea that the video was THAT bad for the R1 version. Of course I had heard of all the problems people were having with it, but I just figured I wouldn't notice as much on my 27" Panasonic.
When I finally saw it last week, or the week before can't remember... :), I just chalked up a lot of the dull colors and ghosting to the fact that it was a fairly old movie.
Now that I've seen the difference, I don't think I will ever be satisfied with my R1 version again! Thanks a lot Chris
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
Evangelion is awesome! I just watched Vol 7 last night, and I can't wait for Vol 8 and the movie. The sheer amount of imagination that goes into it is mind-boggling. It's especially interesting when you compare the early episodes to the later ones, and follow the way the show gradually mutates. I'm especially impressed with character development, like how Asuka (for example) starts out as this really annoying bratty character that's very hard to like, but then generates much sympathy from the viewer in the later episodes when you experience her trials and get a glimpse of her backstory and learn why she is the way she is.
I never fully believed before that anime could be this good. I was only a fringe-watcher before, but now I'm getting hooked. What's next?
I'm trying to figure out if I want to do the $250 preorder for Animego's Macross box set (I've previously only experienced Macross through Robotech). That's a good chunk of change, but it looks like it might be worth it.
Chris, animeondvd.com is great. It's been extremely helpful in my recent Quest for Anime. Thanks!
--Rog

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
If you want a little persuading to buy that Macross boxset, just search for a semi-old thread on the subject. I started it awhile ago because I also wanted to know if the boxset would be worth it.
I got some pretty good answers from all the usual suspects: Chris, Jeff, Kong, etc. :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yeah, Macross looks like it will be amazing, though I'm not sure my budget will allow for what will be a $400CAN investment.
I also love Nadesico, great wacky anime fun. Both the original and BGC2040 are very cool too.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks