What's new

Adire's latest product (Read: 12+ Tumults in 1) (2 Viewers)

TimForman

Supporting Actor

Have one of the Asia distributors play one at the same time as the one in Vegas, should 'bout "cover" things. :eek:
Didn't Doc Brown have one of these in Back To The Future?

Ryan T

Second Unit
good lord thats like 24 tempests!!!!!!

i mean i can't even get my single tempest to it's excursion limits without poping nails outta the drywall :D.

Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that's around 48 Tempests! Dan told me recently that the Tumult is roughly equivalent to 3.5-4 Tempests. :D

ChristopherE

Auditioning
I am going to CES to see this work, and I'll be experiencing it and taking pictures.
I plan on spending a decent amount of time at Adire's room, since we're using Adire's services as a consulting and even OEM capacity.
And I'll definitely be posting pictures and commentary upon my return. :D

Bill Foley -
Are you going to be at CES?
Might be easier to meet up in Vegas than back home... ;)
Give me a PM on CAT if you are, I'll get you my cell number.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually what would be pretty cool is to put spikes on the woofer and run a 10-200 hz sweep and watch that woofer stroke.

Ryan T

Second Unit
48 tempest... yikes thats like mega uber bass of doom.
And to think we used to quarel over the B4+ Vs. the everest in output. You just know somw whacko is gonna buy two of these and colapse his house ehehe.

Ryan

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
been awhile since i've posted on here, BUT... what would be funny is to put that 4x4x4 cube on castors.... Have the sub playing parallel to the floor(as opposed to up, or downfire) and then hook up a signal generator to it.

bet the thing would start moving across the showroom... hehehehe... We found the new motor design for Electric cars.
:D :D :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

4x4x4 cube...is that with just a 3/4" MDF Shell? ...I think we need 2" walls, a 3" baffle and tons of internal bracing . Better make that a 5x5x5 cube :D

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Here it is. I don't think it's what most of you (or I) expected.

It was not operational as of today, so I can't comment on the sound or operation of it.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the pic, Seth.

Argh! Where's the basket? where's the surround? :confused:

That diaphragm looks a little like posterboard...

My doubts about 121dB @ 20Hz have snapped firmly back into place...

Seth_L

Screenwriter
There is no surround. Apparently that diaphragm is some space age composite so it doesn't flex etc. Hopefully I'll be able to hear it today.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Seth
Let us know what you think.
I have know about this gem for a few months now.
As well can you if you get time to listen to those Black cabinets in the Adire room with the 4" driver and XBL.
Dan has them as well as the 6.5" that has XBL, G2 ribbon.
The 6.5" are said to be in the PE cabinet

I quickly built the 4" cabinets and Bob headed south to meet Dan.
So I never got to listen to them much.

Al

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

I admit it was a little confusing when they said " 24" square baffle....no baffle" but I really just expected a big panel that would move back and forth. Because come on, who's really going to make a 4' cube for a driver? I mean, people think the Everest and B4+ are huge. ;)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator

Don't make me take a poll! (Stand forth from out of the woodwork, ya crazies..!) :D

Actually, since Dan listed IB as an application for the Parthenon, I took a basket/surround for granted. Maybe Adire is suggesting that no real seal is necessary...?

BTW, if anyone's interested, I started a DIY Parthenon thread over at DIYAudio.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
If I had the right application (and therefore, the right money) I'd be all over it! :)

I wonder what dealer pricing is going to be on that bad boy! ;)

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Now who of you dares to use it as a suprise coffee table?
:D

Think you can have interchangable diaphrams?

Are you in a
6"x6" mood
12"x12" mood
or a
24"x24" mood

Many people on other forums have been saying that it has no practical application because of it's size, but when comparing it to the B15 in the background just take put a smaller cone on it and it becomes a much more managble size and still has crazy excursion.

Ryan T

Second Unit
thats the strangest looking subwoofer i've ever seen. It looks like some sort of lunar space craft. Either that or a really a satilite dish. I wonder what it sounds like though. I've been thinking though. If you already have one tempest and you add another don't you get a 3 DB boost per sub. If thats the case how can the parthenon be equal to 48 tempests or 12 tumults. Maybe my math is way off but adding 47 tempest to the one you already have should give you and extra 141 db of bass. I'm just not seeing exactly how the numbers measure up. BTW I know having to power 48 tempest much less paying for the drivers is gonna cost more than a parthenon and you would have to have to worlds largest enclosure or do one mean IB sub :D.

Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

Your math is way off! :) You get 3dB from every doubling of output. This is done by doubling the number of drivers. So you get a 3dB increase when going from 1 driver to 2 drivers. You get another 3dB from adding 2 more drivers, then 4, then 8, etc.

Of course, none of this takes into account any changes in input power. :D

Ryan T

Second Unit
Doh! i knew my math was off i just couldn't figure out where. What can i say i'm a dumb high school student :D.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks