What's new

Adire's latest product (Read: 12+ Tumults in 1) (1 Viewer)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator

(I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here :))

I don't know the rest of the parameters, but inferring from the Qts and Fs, and logically assuming a giant Vas, it seems that IB and dipole are about all it's suitable for, unless you're willing to undergo a personal paradigm shift about what constitutes a reasonably-sized box.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I'm from Texas, after all ;). I'm looking forward to seeing you at CES and your new small diameter driver(s). I think a 4" xBL job with an inch excursion might equal the impressiveness of this new Bradley tank driver :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Well, the parameters look good for IB, but is it physically practical? (Man, think of 2 of those things on opposite sides of a manifold...)

A

Anthony_Gomez

ok...lets forget for a moment that this will need it's own nuclear power station

...lets assume that a 24"x24" driver has an effective Sd of 20"x20". This works out to 2581cm^2. Now, give the diver an Fs of 7hz, and we have a moving mass of ~ 40kg!!!
this is like ~ 90lbs people!!!!!!

I'd like to see how you keep this thing from jumping around when it starts to get any reasonable excursion...1 ton of lead shot? ..bolt it to the floors?

...ok..now lets consider the 48x48" panel! ...lets say 7hz Fs as well and an effective Sd of 40x40" (big surrounds ;))....this yields a moving mass of 625kg!!!!!!...ok...a more reasonable 20hz fs gives ~77kg or around 170lb of moving mass!!!...imaging 170lbs being moved 12" P-P at any frequency!!!

A

Anthony_Gomez

oh...lets take it one step further.. Lets assume the diaphram is solid MDF. ..and a 0.5" lip in each direction for surround attachment. Using an approxomation of 0.0289lb/in^3 for MDF, this means the "cone" needs to be ~7" thick for the 24x24 version!

..for the 48x48" version, you need an MDF diaphram around 3.5" thick.

..ok..adire is fancy and wants to use Stainless Steel. With a density of 7850 kg/m3 this means the 24"x24" (21"x21" of it is 'cone') panel needs to be 1.28" thick!!!!!!!!

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Anthony/Bill,

What Cms are you guys using? Fs is set by Mms and Cms. Sd really doesn't factor into it. Vas is impacted by Sd and Cms, but you really need to get the Cms. And I'm not telling that until CES...:) Suffice to say, though, the moving mass is a LOT lighter than the numbers posted above.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I just double checked my WinISD model. I had a Qms of 7 and a Mms of over 10kg.

I adjusted it to a Qms of 30, and Mms came down to a little over 7kg. (Efficiency rose one dB/w to 79 and Vas rose to 1300 liters.) I will assume that this Mms is still too high, but I guess I'll let this line of questioning rest until I get further info.

My main parameter questions are still these: Is this thing really at least 102dB/w at 20Hz or can it sink more than 4Kw? And does it displace 5000 cu. in. one-way? Cuz that's what I believe 121dB at 20Hz unbaffled requires.

If so, God bless America!

If not, please help me understand where my calcs went into the weeds...:b

A

Anthony_Gomez

went last year...wish I could go again this year!!! ..even if it was just to see that....that...monstrosity!!! Scary stuff there dan :D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I'll be there. Say Dan, you're taking a lot of heat on another forum. Many naysayers. I'll happily tell them they're wrong after I get back from Vegas next week.
The Naysayers

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Yes, I will be there. I might have to bring the video camera just to shoot this thing moving. :D

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, Dan just filled me in on a few more details, and doggone it if he isn't making more of believer out of me!:D He's still got a little more convincing to do on me before I'm ready to entirely swallow his OB spl claim, but that may just rattle down to a little difference of opinion over what constitutes room gain.

I agreed not to share his specific numbers, but lemme just say that things are really getting interesting with my ol' Parthenon WinISD model! The Mms seems indeed to be much less than I'd predicted earlier, and the mysterious suspension a whole lot suppler. Efficiency is higher, too. Obviously, Vas is completely off the charts, but who cares, right?:D

One thing of note is that this critter now looks like it will have to eat only about 125% of its (giant!) Pe to overtake it's Xmax! That's naked--unbaffled, you understand!!:eek:

Now, when I previously said, "Despair all ye who wish to enclose this driver," I may have been a tad hasty. I was looking at the inevitably giant Vas and not considering the significance of the 7Hz Fs. So aside from IB and OB, how's this for another Parthenon alignment: A 4'x4'x4' sealed cube (yes, that's 64 cu. ft.--I said you might have to adjust your paradigms of what constitutes a reasonably-sized box! ;))

This alignment has an Frc of about 19Hz and a Qtc of about 1.7, which centers a 5dB peak right around 20Hz, which obviously translates to amazing efficiency between say 15 and 30 Hz. Move up to 36Hz, and you're 3dB down--make that your crossover to your current home setup! (Actually, these numbers are all free-field, so you might have to cross a bit lower to factor in room gain.) In this alignment, at the Parthenon's Pe, 140 in-room dB at 20Hz seems attainable. If your walls are still standing, they will have no windows--obviously. This alignment is less than 5dB down at 15Hz. Oh, and you'll never have to worry about bottoming this thing--can't happen.

So how 'bout it Dan? Why don't you quick throw together a 4-foot cube, bring it to CES, and rearrange conventioneers' internal organs?:D

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

Dan, if you do, be sure to avoid playing anything even remotely near the brown noise. Oh, the distruction... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks