What's new

Adire Extemis 6 Specs / Designs (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
As did I. Four of them are on their way and will be in my hands in a week or so.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Kit designs will be coming quite shortly; the first, a stand mounted MT design, will be shown at CES 2005. A floor-standing MMT will come next, and a full 3 way LCR (laid out like our KIT LCC) will come after that.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

PS: nothing shipped out Friday; we forgot that UPS didn't pick up on Friday, only delivered. They'll be picked up on Monday.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Yep. Two way, 21 liters tuned to 33 Hz with a 2" flared port that is effectively 8.75" long. It uses the Usher 9950C tweeter. 6th order crossover solution at 2.8 kHz, measures out at +/- 1.25 dB from 60 Hz and up. It's approximately 3 dB down at 45 degrees off axis at 12 kHz - a function of the 28mm dome of the Usher tweeter.

Anechoic bass response is 3 dB down at 31 Hz. In room expect usable extension to the mid 20s. And yes, it will play down there quite loudly, too - a pair of these units have about the same output capability as most 10" woofers (two 6.5" woofers have about the same Sd as a 10" woofer, and there's a healthy 13mm of one way excursion available).

With the optional 3 element impedance compensation network (really only needed for tube gear), the impedance in the midrange (200 Hz to 2 kHz) is 10 Ohms +/- 0.6 Ohms. Impedance rises on either side of that frequency range. Without the network, the impedance in that range has a low of 10 Ohms and a high of 25 Ohms. It's really a VERY gentle impedance curve, probably best rated as a 12 Ohm speaker.

Sensitivity of the kit is rated at 86 dB SPL @ 2.83 Vrms, 1m. Usable frequency response is rated at 30 Hz to 20 kHz. Power is rated at 150W, in line with the tweeter and woofer ratings. It sings off our Plinius 8150 reference amp.

A quick set of measurements showed THD and IMD at 96 dB SPL below 0.5% from 80 Hz and up. Below 80 Hz, THD crossed 10% at 30 Hz at 93 dB SPL for a single unit. Peak SPL with a 500 msec burst was above 109 dB for all frequencies above 60 Hz; above 112 dB SPL from 100 Hz and up (I don't know the power used; having a QSC PLX3402 for testing means no real test amp power limits). I'd expect power compression to become an issue in the 108-110 dB SPL range.

DIY Cable, in conjunction with Acoustic Visions and Creative Sound Solutions, will have more details forthcoming, as they plan to offer the full kit - drivers, XOs, and tweeters - at a very good price. I think they're also planning to release kit packages sans the woofers for those who already have the woofers, but want the tweeters and crossover parts.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
What made you go with the Usher over the Hiq? I guess the 10 watt rating is deceptive since they spec it at "full range signal." Not that it matters here, but this is probably hurting their marketing to some extent, I know I missed the "full range signal" qualification, or the parts express catalog just says "10 watt/15 watt" which I think is the case.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I ordered Hiquphon OW-IIs for my MMT's. I'm using a full active crossover, so sensativity and impedance differences won't matter to me.

I'm eager to hear what I end up with! :)

Hey Seth, just curious what you're using for a crossover. I'm getting ready to go active myself and trying to decide between analog and digital.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Vince,

It's a really good performer, about as good as the Hiquphon. And it's video shielded, which is really important to many.

Power handling isn't an issue; we've railed on the pair we're showing at CES with hundreds of Watts without a problem. High order crossovers help a LOT in terms of tweeter power handling. You'll run out of steam in the lower end before you do with the tweeter. And it pumps out a LOT of sound before you even reach that limit.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

KyleGS

Second Unit
Dan-

Could I substitute a smaller sealed box for the 0.75cf ported box if the baffle is the same width?

If the baffle were @ 8in vs. the 10in wide PE box-- how drastic would the mod be to the x-over?

Thanks

DanWiggins

Second Unit
You could probably squish the baffle down to 9" x 14" at the smallest to keep the same XO.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

The woofers look great in their shipping box! You might want to update the pic on your site, as the silicone around the surround has a kind of unfinished look and the drivers (which don't have the silicone) are beautiful.

Are you going to post the design details on your site, i.e. crossover schematics, etc? Not that I want to source everything outside a kit but curiosity is killing me. I noticed the kit on the CSS website with woofers but no info on the kit without woofers. I mean typically the kit is going to be competitive with sourcing seperate components anyway, just curious. Thanks!

Bob Reimer

Agent
We are working on the kit documentation and should have something ready in the next week. For those who already have the Extremis 6.8 drivers we expect the Usher tweeters and crossovers to sell for about $200 a pair.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks